mtbr member
    Jan 2005

2008 EX8 component changes?

I'm the proud new owner of a 2008 EX8. I've been riding a hardtail for years and am extremely impressed with the handling of this machine. In fact, my very first ride on this bike was the second lap of a 24hr race this past weekend. The EX8 made this race a delight.

I am quite fussy about components. I had been riding a full XTR GT Zaskar.

I spent a lot of time comparing the different EX models...with cost in mind. I settled for the 8 with it's mix of LX, XT and Bontrager Race wheels.

So, imagine my surprise when it arrived with a Shimano 542 crank (less than LX), and Rhythm Wheels (must be a new model...??).

Was I ripped off? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Talk to your LBS and say that the bike you received is not as spec'd and see what they have to say about it. I don't know about the cranks, but the wheels are better suited for trail riding, so you may be better off with the Rhythms. Quality wise the wheels are comparable, but the Rhythms have wider rims and are tougher than the Races while not being much heavier.

In the end I think you have a valid reason to return the bike. All my bikes (3) are Treks, but I must say that it pisses me off that they can't stick to their own specs. I only found out which tires and handlebars came with my Remedy when the bike arrived.

mtbr member
    If it is a 2008 that doesn't make any sense. It should come with Bontrager Race wheels and an LX crankset. The new 2009 models come with an XCier version of the Rythym and a larger air chamber rear shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A little more digging. I wonder if I got a 2009. It is white/black with gold stripes and gold anodized headset, seatpost clamps., etc...much like the pictures I've found of 2009 models. But still should be an LX crank or the new SLX in the pictures.

mtbr member
    If it looks like this you have a 2009.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That's my bike, bro ! Looks great don't you think?

Same "no-name" crank, even.

mtbr member
    congrats, you are the first to have a 2009 model here : )

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    LBS is looking into a crank upgrade for me. This is my third Trek, they owe me. I wonder if this makes me the first to race the 2009 EX8.

Our 5 man team took 3rd place at the Hot Summer Nights 24 hour race. My second lap was my first ride on the EX8. Climbing out of the saddle was a little difficult...I'm used to the more aggressive geometry of a hardtail. By the 6th lap, I was posting the same times as the Zaskar did on the first lap...but with much more control and comfort.

mtbr member
    its an '09, worse crank, pretty much equal wheels, but the new '09 fox f120 RL is worth the difference, it is a great fork, and the '09 s are even better

Members who have read this thread: 0