mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    far better report here on the Hifi:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=2056

Art is Resistance
    Hey, look! Trek's making Konas!
    I mean, seriously... LOOK at that chainstay.

Ah well, they have a wind tunnel, and more money than any other bike company in the nation, i think it's a great idea to rip off a small company.

mtbr member
    looks like a pretty good lineup to me. great to hear they want to recapture the hardcore mountain bike market again...

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    looks like a pretty good lineup to me. great to hear they want to recapture the hardcore mountain bike market again...
    ... by ripping off Kona designs.

mtbr member
    listen mate, don't mean to be rude or start trouble, but i hardly think companies as large and powerful (and with HUGE r&d budgets) as the treks, giants, specializeds, etc. of the world are looking at bit players like kona for inspiration in frame technology...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    dj,

explain where the frame is ripping off a Kona please?

unsymmetrical chain stays are a lift from the Cake, and the linkage a modified fuel which has been around for ages.

There are only so many ways that you can linkage suspension and there is nothing too special about Kona to set themselves apart either. . . . at the end of the day its a single pivot like Kona, a design which manyother brands had done before Kona too.

Get over it.

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by donboyfisher
    dj,

explain where the frame is ripping off a Kona please?

unsymmetrical chain stays are a lift from the Cake, and the linkage a modified fuel which has been around for ages.

There are only so many ways that you can linkage suspension and there is nothing too special about Kona to set themselves apart either. . . . at the end of the day its a single pivot like Kona, a design which manyother brands had done before Kona too.

Get over it.

the asymemetrical stays are a lift from a Cake? Oh... wow, i had never thought of it that way. What year did the Cake come out again? I don't remember off the top of my head.

What year did the Stinky come out? 1998? Weird. So that would make the Cake just a lift from the... No wait, that's just crazy!

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    listen mate, don't mean to be rude or start trouble, but i hardly think companies as large and powerful (and with HUGE r&d budgets) as the treks, giants, specializeds, etc. of the world are looking at bit players like kona for inspiration in frame technology...

I would normally agree with you, and that's why this is so surprising, and a little funny.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    there are plenty of other brands doing the same . . . look a specialized Epic - asymmetrical stays there too. . . .

its not exactly rocket science to have the asymmetrical stays. the drive side one simply drops lower to avoid the front mech when the suspension activates. i'd hardly call that sort of thinking of " we need to move it to stop it fowling the mech " a magical design brilliance which Kona ( and I dont know if it was Kona that first brought it out ) should be fiercly applauded for to the exclusion of all other brands doing the same? At the end of the day, like i've already said, the Kona chain stay is a single pivot, and no more special than any other single pivot out there ( many of which came well before Kona's did )

heck, it'd be like saying that the first frame designer to make curves in the chain stays allow bigger tyres should be the only designer to ever use it.

like i say, get over it.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    the asymemetrical stays are a lift from a Cake? Oh... wow, i had never thought of it that way. What year did the Cake come out again? I don't remember off the top of my head.

What year did the Stinky come out? 1998? Weird. So that would make the Cake just a lift from the... No wait, that's just crazy!
    The Kona Stinky's are a Turner rip-off.

There's only so many ways to design a suspension bike these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    fisher hifi and no more cakes!

well, i can't wait to hear the reviews on the hifi. i see a potential bike upgrade soon!

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Diddnt see it mentioned, but will the Fisher Race Day FS 29'r also use G2 (like the non 29 inch version) and have a custom manitou fork (they only mentioned 2 forks and i dont theink either was a 29 inch one)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    There's only so many ways to design a suspension bike these days.
    agreed!

mtbr member

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Krause
    Diddnt see it mentioned, but will the Fisher Race Day FS 29'r also use G2 (like the non 29 inch version) and have a custom manitou fork (they only mentioned 2 forks and i dont theink either was a 29 inch one)
    The Race Day 29ers are slated to be speced with the existing 29er Rebas.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    The Race Day 29ers are slated to be speced with the existing 29er Rebas.
    Thats kind of odd, that would mean their usin recycled 06 29er frames or they are losing the whole point of the new geomitry since they said that you could put a normal fork on the G2 geomitry bikes (talkin about 26ers) but it would negate the gain from the new design :/

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The HiFi uses G2 geometry, NONE of the Racedays use G2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anyone know when the 07 models will be in the stores?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    actually, i'll probably jump ship on the next bike and get a Stumpjumper fsr

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Last Year...

Quote Originally Posted by jdoria
    Anyone know when the 07 models will be in the stores?
    Last year, the '06 bikes came out in July / August. I don't know if this means that the '07's will come out around the same time of year. I hope so. From the articles about the '07 bikes, it sounded like they were trying to finalize the part specs for the different levels of bikes. If that was still going on in early July, I would be impressed if they finalized the spec, placed orders with the parts manufacturers, received parts, assembled bikes, and shipped by the end of the month, but what do I know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My LBS cliams they will have the 2007 Specialized bikes in the store in 2 weeks. Which 2007 models is unknown.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Another 2007 From Bicycling

Yep, I might be able to deal with testing these rides around Crested Butte. 401, Deer Creek, Etc.
    http://thisjustin.bicycling.com/2006...new_07__1.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glovemtb; 07-17-2006 at 08:50 AM.

w3rd.

Singlespeed?

Has anyone heard about the Singlespeed Trek is coming out with? I read about it in MBA... it has a 26" rear with a 29" front... its pink lol... Travis Brown has raced it... said it should be out for 2007.

any one hear anything?

mtbr member
    They're calling it the 69er...at least that's what it's appearing as for now. There's at least one thread on this site on the bike, a singlespeed with a custom Maverick fork and hardtail rear.
    TrojanBiker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast