mtbr member
    May 2006

2007 EX7 Front Suspension

Hello all

Due to a defect with my 2006 Ex7 frame Trek is going to be giving me a 2007 EX7 frame as a replacement.

Currently I am running a Reba Race with 115mm of travel for the front fork, I noticed that the new EX's come with a 130mm of front travel and 120 mm of rear (versus the 100mm on my current bike.)

So my current set up is 115mm Front/100 mm rear travel, I do not want to have to replace my front fork due to the new frame, but at the same time I do not want to have the geometry of my bike affected by running a 115mm fork on a bike that is built for a 130mm fork.

So my question is what effect will using the 115 mm fork on the 2007 ex7 frame have? WIll the decrease in front travel of 15mm have a huge affect? Can the 07 EX frames be used with a 115 mm front?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2006
    anyone have any thoughts on this???

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I can't see there being all that much of a difference to be honest, it's only 15 mm at the end of the day, and as far as I know some of the higher end 07 Fuels have Fox Talas forks which have adjustable travel anyway. Personally I wouldn't be too worried about it, I'd just be delighted to be getting a newer frame with (by all accounts) a plusher, sweeter ride than the 06 frames!

Marc

mtbr member
    The shorter fork will steepen the head angle, causing the bike to steer a little quicker. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it was the other way around (moving components to a frame with less travel) you might need to worry about it, as slackening the head angle can cause frame issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You could run a fatter tire up front and a skinnier one in the back to make up the difference and help "level" the bike out.

mtbr member
    You must be the guy I talked to last night who rides with the Reynolds guys ... haha.. I still say go for the EX-7 frame, the difference between your setup and the new one is not that big.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My 07 EX 9 has the Talus fork that extends from 90 to 130 mm. I tend to ride mostly at 110 mm so your 115 mm fork should be just fine.

mtbr member
    My 9.0 came with a talas 140,i use 140 most of the time.