MIT Graduate

2006 Trek Fuel 9.8......how much?

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2006 Trek Fuel frame with all the components brand new from the factory. So that's a used frame and a new everything else. I'm not really sure how much this bike should go for or what to offer the guy. Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Impalla

El Pollo Diablo
    sounds a bit shady to me...
    what you should offer and what he will take are two totally different things though, thanks to the vast majority of sellers who insist that their bikes are totally worth nearly what they paid.

MIT Graduate
    Thanks for the reply. Apparently nobody really knows or cares about this thread.

I think the deal is on the level. He bought the bike, removed all the factory components save the frame. Built it back up. He raced the bike and stripped it down to its frame again and put back all the factory Trek parts. I think it was something to do with a sponsorship issue with the components.

I'd still be interested in what people think the bike might go for. Used frame but brand new components. I'm pretty tempted...

-Impalla

mtbr member
    May 2007

Trek 9.8

IMPALLA-
    Hey, I don't know if you still have the Trek 9.8 frame and components but I am interested in buying it.....obviously it has to be a Large/19" frame to fit though. Let me know if that would work. THANK YOU!
    Natalie

Quote Originally Posted by Impalla

Used frame but brand new components. I'm pretty tempted...

-Impalla
    Depends on how "used" .... sounds like "race used" (don't think frame warranty covers raced frames, although that'd be a very moot point, since warranty also doesn't cover anyone other than original owner).
    Depends on how much risk you wanna put .... $$$ vs no warranty if/when frame fails. If I were buying a carbon Trek, I'd buy factory new frame, unless I got it for next to nothing (or if I was uber rich, but.... we know how that goes...)

MIT Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by NBDibling
    IMPALLA-
    Hey, I don't know if you still have the Trek 9.8 frame and components but I am interested in buying it.....obviously it has to be a Large/19" frame to fit though. Let me know if that would work. THANK YOU!
    Natalie
    I think you misread my post, Natalie. I'm not selling this bike, I'm thinking of buying it from someone I know.

-Impalla