mtbr member
    May 2006

2006 EX7 Fram Replacement

Well, there is an issue with my 2006 EX7, and the short story is that the frame needs to be replaced. The good part about this is that both my LBS and Trek are standing behind their product 100% and are doing everything they can to get a new frame to me asap. (they have both been great so far).

The issue is that they do not have any 2006 frames in stock so it looks like I will be getting a 2007 frame as a replacement. I have also tinkered with the idea of seeing if Trek will let me upgrade my frame to the new EX 9.0 or 9.5 - providing the cost difference is not ridiculous.

So my questions are:

1) What are the main differences between the 2006 and 2007 Ex 7 frames? I have the rockshox MC3.3 on current frame which will be replaced with the FOX RP (I think) on the 2007 frame, is this an upgrade or downgrade or a wash?

2) I know it is a long shot, but has anyone ever heard of Trek letting someone upgrade their replacement frame, and any idea of the cost?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The '07 EX7's and up have 130 mm of rear suspension travel and seat stay pivots vs 100 mm and no pivots for the 2006's. A 2007 EX6 frame is essentially the same frame as a 2006 EX7. The specs for 07's and 06's are on the Trek website. When I needed a warranty replacement, they only replaced the front triangle of my Full Suspension frame (the part that needed replacing), so depending on what needs to be fixed, you may only get that portion. I had my choice of colors to choose from, but stuck with the original colors.

Fat guy on a bike
    Well, the RPL shock from what I have heard is great. Its got just a few less settings i think that the RP23 which most people are loving. I like it cause it handles high pressures (I'm a big guy).

When i pay off my road bike, going to spring for a ex7/ex8.

Fat guy on a bike
    I'm cursed with ze double postess

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just thought I would post an update, my LBS has heard word that they will be sending me a 2007 EX 7 frame as a replacement. My LBS is still looking into how much it would cost me to upgrade to a EX9.0 or 9.5 carbon frame. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the Carbon frame that much lighter? And can the Carbon frame handle someone my size 6 feet 4 inches and 210 lbs?

2) Should I consider upgrading the rear Fox RPL to the RP23 (If I stay with the 2007 EX7 frame replacement)?

Thanks all

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    2) Should I consider upgrading the rear Fox RPL to the RP23 (If I stay with the 2007 EX7 frame replacement)?
    The RPL that came with my 07 EX8 is great. In fact, I usually leave the shock fully open because it climbs so much better open and I don't find myself getting fatigued from the compresion when I spin.

One of the guys I work/ride with has an RP23 and he says that while the shock is great, he keeps it on one setting and doesn't change it. Which means that the other two are wasted. So, imagine if you'll actually switch between levels of propedal, then make a decision. Personally, having two extra settings I won't use doesn't justify the expense of a new shock. But that's just me.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser