mtbr member

2005 ZR 9000 frame flex

Hi all. Two months ago I got my hands on a NEW in the box 2005 "Ziggurat" ZR 9000 double butted aluminim Hardtail frame.

After 2 months my bike is finally finished. Mostl XT coponents with XTR brakes.

Took it out for a ride and noticed that when i was on the middle ring and the 11T on the cog, I got chain rub when I pedaled hard on the right pedal. Stopped the bike and noticed that these is flex at the BB but the fame has no crack or broken welds.

Wondering if this frame will support my 230lbs arse ...

thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Frames flex, if they don't....

they BREAK! It's not uncommon to have a bit of flex in the bb area when hammering bigger gears, I've never owned a bike that didn't to some extent, at least one that didn't ride like brick with wheels! I weigh 230 as well, and have been riding an 2000 Trek 7000 since new with no problems. It'll do they same thing your Ziggy does when hammering gears. Just keep in mind that it's an XC RACE BIKE and ride it as intended, you won't have any problems. Just as a side note, I've got an 05 Specialized Hardrock frame (pretty heavy duty) that I built up as a fun/trail ht. And it is fun, handles everything I toss at it. It doesn't flex when hammering big gears, but it also rides like a block of cement, VERY harsh. My older 7000 provides a much smoother and more compliant ride, but it does flex a bit more.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Squash, I appreciate that info. I guess its good news. It just felt like I was pushing the frame a little too much

I'd buy you a drink, but since your not here, I'll have the band sing you a song
    Attached Images Attached Images