mtbr member

2005 Trek Liquid noise

Just bought the above bike and there aren't any creaks but there is a sound coming from the front, it sounds to be like the disk brake is humming or vibrating something in the fork, it's like a metal on metal vibration sound and I can't seem to figure it out. When I spin the wheel off the ground there's no noise at all so it's not a pad rubbing, but when I ride it makes the noise. I told the LBS when I bought it but they didn't do anything to fix it. It's nothing huge but it drives me a bit crazy, any thoughts?

monkey's throw poo
    Jun 2004

odds?

Quote Originally Posted by mthedude
    Just bought the above bike and there aren't any creaks but there is a sound coming from the front, it sounds to be like the disk brake is humming or vibrating something in the fork, it's like a metal on metal vibration sound and I can't seem to figure it out. When I spin the wheel off the ground there's no noise at all so it's not a pad rubbing, but when I ride it makes the noise. I told the LBS when I bought it but they didn't do anything to fix it. It's nothing huge but it drives me a bit crazy, any thoughts?
    odds are you have an 8" disc up front, which will make tons of noise on a quick release hub, i would recommend getting a 6" disc, the 8" is over kill and can wreck the drop outs on the fork, i heard trek was replacing the rotors because it was a mis spec.
    if you have a 6" now, it will make noise every now and then, this is just how disc brakes are.
    two six is bet-ta

mtbr member
    I do have an 8" up front. Why do they wreck the dropouts? will trek send me a 6" if I ask them?