mtbr member
    Sep 2004

2005 Palomino XV question

Trying to get a little info on the stock Bontrager Race Lite stem. I am getting ready to take delivery of a new 05 Palomino XV (large frame size) and am planning on upgrading the seatpost and stem to Thomson from the start. I am trying to determine the stock stem length and rise. I believe its a 120 with a slight rise, but would be interested to know for sure.

Of the searches and background info available on the board it looks like a slighty shorter stem (110mm vs 120) might be a better choice for me as I am 5ft 11in and have a shorter torso. It sounds like the shorter stem will also make the bike a little more agile in the steering department. I am getting ready to order a 110x0 degree rise...any thoughts or constructive feedback from Pal owners?

Thanks

Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

You're correct.

It is a stock 120 on the large size. Why don't you just try riding it and see what length you want on there. I believe you'll figure it out fast enough. That is unless you are getting something back from the shop for the stem that's on there. Which makes me think that the shop should have measured you out for the bike...

I don't know if a 110 is good or not for you. You'll have to decide by riding it.

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Smile

bleharg,

Thanks for confirming the stem size! This bike is being shipped to me, so no on-site fitment was available short of phone discussions. I have been buying bikes and frames for a long time, some in shop and some by mail, and fortunately have yet to make a disasterous choice. Typically I ride a frame with a 23"-23.5" top tube which usually equates to an 18-19" frame size. Based on quite a bit of feedback from searches on this board, and also through discussions with guys at various shops that actually ride Palomino's, the Klein is definitely sized smaller than your typical MTB.

The earlier FSR's were the same way with the mediums being too tight, and the large being the right size. Framewise I know the large will be correct for me, and to be honest the 120 mm would be the longest I would go stem-wise. My last bike (slightly smaller than normal frame for me), had a 22.75 toptube CC and I was running a 110 on it with riser bars which was still comfortable. To your comment though, I am definitely going to test ride it with the 120, but I think the 110 will actually provide a slighty quicker steering feel without crowding the cockpit.

I did do the trade-out deal with the shop on the stock headset for a CK, and also had them do the low-cost upgrade to ad the tubeless Bontrager valve stem set and Stans. Other than that I plan on doing the mono-link upgrade myself, change-out the post and stem to Thomson for durability factors, and will probably fight the same struggle as others to find the right front derailluer set-up.

Now that the Maverick monolink kit is available, the FD seems to be the only other main achilles heel of the Palomino other than its weight. I have seen folks post weights in the 26lb range, but it sounds like most are in the 28 lb range which is definitely heavier 3-4lbs heavier than I am used to. Guess time will tell how well I like the bike.

Thanks again

Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Fd.

Order the d-mount from maverick while you are ordering the monolink. It's a ton better than an E-Type derailleur.

It should be abour 28lbs out of the box. obviously you can do better. i don't think 25-26 lbs is unreasonable with all the top end components.

Also, it seems like you know your measurement, so go with what you think works. You're the one that has to ride the bike at the end of the day, not us. :P

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    I’m 6 feet tall, about 215 with gear with kinda longish arms, and I rode a large 2003 Palomino (custom) with a 120 MM Race Face stem.
    It was very XC’ish, but it was similar to what I was used to.

I agree with you that the Klein large (19) feels small (compared to my 19 Slayer).

Glad to hear you’re getting the new link. I sold my Palomino and my back up frame after going through bushings like mad and even a link itself.

I never had a problem with the front shifting, unlike my friend Clyde S Dale on the board who has terrible shifting gremlins.

He too has the Maverick link on order, and my understanding is that the D mount (like Blehargh said) solves the problem.

Had they released this link earlier, I might have kept the bike, although I do like my Slayer.

I really liked the Palomino, when it wasn’t broken.

Mine was about 28-29 pounds, with a not-lightweight build (XT 756/517 wheels, Avid discs etc).

I think the Teams or XX’s with full XTR were about 26 pounds.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Smile

Thanks for the info guys!

I have had a number of mac-strut style FS bikes through the years with the most recent being a Racer X. One of the suspension styles I have never liked was the URT with the out of the saddle stiffening to the point of having no suspension at all. I know that the Palomino Maverick is suppose to have some of those traits when climbing, but the monolink allowing the suspension to still track and function to some degree when you are out of the saddle. Sounds like the bearing link also provides a greater deal of plushness in all conditions when compared to the Klein bushing link setup. Guess I will either love it or hate it.

Btw- Here is a little interesting info regarding the new link. I called Maverick today regarding my original inquiry I had emailed to them a couple of days ago about the new monolink retrofit, and also asked about the D-Mount. The guy I spoke with said he really wanted me to try the stock e-type FD on the new monolink before selling me the D-mount kit. He said that his personal experience was that the new link had less side play, and had some other slight design variations that seemed to make the regular E-Type FD work as originally designed.

Obviously the guy could have simply sold me the D-mount kit, and made an extra buck. So far every discussion with the folks at Maverick has been very positive, and it reinforces my comfort level in buying a Maverick frame design bike.

During my original discussion with Maverick a couple of weeks back before the new link was released, it was mentioned that the link would be coming out soon. During that discussion, it also sounded like the location of the BB in the new link might be slightly different (forward and up?) than the Palominos link, supposedly making it a bit more plush. It sounded like this new link is the same spec as the new ML7, but possibly different than the Kleins(more than just the bearings vs bushings). Again, I think thats what I remember hearing, but once I have my old link off and the new in hand I can confirm the accuracy of this.If this is the case, perhaps this may also have something to do with the difference in function of the FD? Wishful thinking perhaps...

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting the bike, and taking it to some of the rough and rocky desert trails here in NM. The bike should shine pretty well in those conditions I am hoping.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    good point about the BB position versus the FD issues.

its mentioned elsewhere that the BB has moved closer to the front frame pivot for more plushness. This will also mean the BB moves less in relation to the wheel travel compared to the standard klein setup. I suppose that this reduction in movement may well be enough to eliminate the front mech issue ( an issue i've not had yet )

I really must pull my finger out and get this kit for my klein - the bushings are done on mine

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Been riding my '05 Pali XV for about 3 mo. The stock stem on my L frame seems fine (I am about 6'0"..

Am only now getting the front D fix kit; but let me tell you- the bike needs it bad/ shifitng sux. But yea- once the Mav rear shock upgrade is installed, I bet that changes things.

I think my bike is a tad less than 29 lbs, but LBS said to swap out the chainrings. Middle and inner OEM setup is steel. Alum saves a lb., costs $105 so they say (I told them go for it

hope you are not getting those stock tires (bontragers). sub par

also- handlebar is a tad wide? might want to take a bit off the ends...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well, the bike arrived today, and I will get a chance to get it put together later tonight. I did order the Maverick monolink kit, and it should be here later this week..or first of next week.

As far as the stock tires, the MTBR reviews provide a mixed bag of reviews indicating everything from lousy to excellent(especially as a tubeless tire) as long as its not used in muddy conditions. I am currently living in NM where rain is something you see falling from clouds but it never hits the ground, so trail conditions are bone dry 99% of the time.

Thanks again for the feedbakc on the bike, and I appreciate the comment on the chainrings as every little bit helps.

Jeff