mtbr member

New question here. 2004 Fuel 80...on the cheap

Hi,
    I'm currently riding an '05 RockHopper, but as I'm a wee bit older (41), I'm looking hard a the Full Suspension thing for an upcoming XC Race. I'd like something quick and light, but I'm not ready to dish out the cash for an Epic or high end Fuel. I have an oppty to pick up a brand spankin' new '04 Fuel 80 at my LBS for $719.00. Good deal?
    I'm also trying to find out some more detailed specs on the bike, but Trek's website is worthless. Can anyone tell me how many mm of travel on the Pilot SL fork on that bike? Also other crazy stuff like bottom bracket size, seatpost mm, and downtube mm for Front Derailleur?
    Lastly (lots of questions), how's the weight on this bike? After a while, I'd like to be able to upgrade it and get it below 25lbs. or so.

Thanks!
    2015 Specialized Fat Boy Easton Carbon Seatpost X9 Triggers (future)
    2014 Specialized Crux Pro SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

do my best from memory

Quote Originally Posted by pspycho
    Hi,
    I'm currently riding an '05 RockHopper, but as I'm a wee bit older (41), I'm looking hard a the Full Suspension thing for an upcoming XC Race. I'd like something quick and light, but I'm not ready to dish out the cash for an Epic or high end Fuel. I have an oppty to pick up a brand spankin' new '04 Fuel 80 at my LBS for $719.00. Good deal?
    I'm also trying to find out some more detailed specs on the bike, but Trek's website is worthless. Can anyone tell me how many mm of travel on the Pilot SL fork on that bike? Also other crazy stuff like bottom bracket size, seatpost mm, and downtube mm for Front Derailleur?
    Lastly (lots of questions), how's the weight on this bike? After a while, I'd like to be able to upgrade it and get it below 25lbs. or so.

Thanks!
    bought mine 2 years ago for $980, your price sounds good. Pilot is 80mm convertible to 100mm ( I upgraded to an MX Pro ETA 105mm, didn't feel safe with the Pilot I'm 220 - was 245), the Bar Adjust rear is 6.5x1.5 (upgraded to Fox Float R... and love it) rear travel is 3", BB is 68x113 (not too sure of the 113, but 68 is correct), seatpost is 31.6mm (one of the only things not replaced or worn out), front derail - sorry LBS did it.

My set-up with the above upgrades and also: wheelset changed to Mavic 717 disc with XT 756 hubs, Juicy 7 F&R, Race Face CF riser bar, RF Deus stem, XT front & rear derail weighs 29lbs (via bathroom scale).

It's been a great bike, as the upgrades piled up I thought about a new bike, now that thought is long gone, love it too much. Make sure it has the full Trek warranty (if it's never been owned and from a Trek dealer I can't see why not). Also in the past two years I've had the rear triangle replaced with a CF one (broke the Al one 2 months into ownership, replaced within a week). Also last winter it broke along the seat tube down by the bottom bracket...also replaced via Trek warranty (3 weeks, but it was Dec so didn't matter much).

FRAME Alpha SL aluminum

SUSPENSION RockShox Pilot SL

WHEELS Alloy front, Shimano rear hub; Maverick rims

DRIVETRAIN:
    Crankset Bontrager Select 44/32/22 w/ISIS
    Rear derailleur Shimano Deore LX

SIZES 15.5, 17.5, 19.5, 21.5"

COLORS Brushed Aluminum

Advertised Retail $1,199.99*

FULL SPECIFICATIONS

FRAMESET:
    FRAME: Alpha SL aluminum
    FORK: RockShox Pilot SL
    REAR SHOCK: RockShox BAR Adjust

WHEELS:
    WHEELS: Alloy front, Shimano rear hub; Maverick rims
    TIRES: Bontrager ACX, 26x2.2", 52/54

DRIVETRAIN:
    SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore LX
    CRANKSET: Bontrager Select 44/32/22 w/ISIS
    CASSETTE: SRAM 970 11-34, 9 speed
    PEDALS: Shimano 505, clipless

COMPONENTS:
    SADDLE: Bontrager FS 2000
    SEATPOST: Bontrager Sport
    HANDLEBARS: Bontrager Select, 25mm rise
    STEM: Bontrager Sport, 5/10 degree
    HEADSET: Aheadset, semi-cartridge, sealed
    BRAKESET: Shimano 420 w/alloy levers

mtbr member
    Thanks so much.
    That's exactly the kind of post/information I was looking for.
    I pick up my Fuel 80 today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    how's the Fuel?

mtbr member
    Surprisingly, I did not like the feel of the bike at all. The geometry was very upright/relaxed and with the sag I was getting out of the rear Rockshox BAR, I felt like I was sitting on a recliner. I much prefer the geometry of my Rockhopper. The LBS has a 7 day return policy which I took advantage of. I'll be back, but most likely for a Specialized Epic or Fuel EX. Have to save my pennies for either...

Thanks again for your earlier post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i think you'll find that the Epic has nearly the same top tube length as the Fuel...

did you try a longer stem? lower bar? some of the riser bars they put on these days seem crazy high.

Quote Originally Posted by pspycho
    The geometry was very upright/relaxed and with the sag I was getting out of the rear Rockshox BAR, I felt like I was sitting on a recliner. .
    Hmmmmmm ...did the lbs set it up for you ??? Sounds like it wasn't.... My Fuel fits me nothing like that. Granted, it's an older 90, but a recliner it ain't !!! Improper bike adjustment can make THE bike for you fit like sh!t......F/S ups the ante by giving you a few more variables to adjust while fitting the bike . "Upright/relaxed" and "recliner" aren't words I'd typically associate with riding a Fuel, myself.....carry on !!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I completely agree with Fuelish. "Upright" and "Recliner" are not in the Fuel's vocabulary. Either it wasn't set up right or it's the wrong size.... or both.

I have heard "harsh" with respect to the Fuel. The Fuel is a FS bike that mimics hardtails, but takes theedge of of rear end hits. You may have shortchanged yourself by returning that baby.

It's also possible that the components on the Fuel 80 were too low end.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for all your replies.
    As far as fit and size - the XL Fuel seemed huge compared to my XL RockHopper.

Phil - you're right, the riser bars were crazy high. I have a flat bar on my RockHopper and it lends itself to a much more aggressive riding position.

Blue Shorts and Fuelish - I agree that the components may have been too low end - particularly the RockShox BAR. Nice and light rear air shock, but no lock-out or "on the fly" adjustability. Per my earlier post, if I make the leap to FS, it will be either an Epic or Feul EX. I'm guessing to get the ride that closely mimics my hardtail, I'm going to have to spend $1,600 or more. The Fuel 80 was the last '04 in stock (new) and only $719.00. Great price, but just not quite the ride I was looking for.