My Member is Senior

2003 Trek Liquid 30 Spindle Length

First post...

I've just bought a 2003 trek liquid 30 frame and am in the process of kitting it out with components. By my measurements the bottom bracket is 73mm - is this right?

Also, what length spindle do I need for optimum chainline etc?

I'm heaps pleased with the frame and cant wait to get out on in the bush with it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

monkey's throw poo
    Jun 2004

yup

73x113mm for ISIS,
    if you're running an "E" type chain guide with a double ring, run a 73x118mm to clear the chain guide, or 113m if you're running a double with no guide...same for a triple.
    two six is bet-ta

My Member is Senior
    Thanks 2inthehole, exactly the info i was after.

Theres a voice in my head
    Feb 2006
    Can i please ask a similar question.

I have a 2003 liquid bike. 10 model if that effects anything.

I have fitted the hollowtech II chainset and have never been happy with the gear change since. I have had the frame faced etc and the instructions say to fit 1 spacer to a 73mm bb shell. But ow does this take into account different bikes axle lengths? Is there a more specific setup please?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I ran HT II on my liquid with one spacer on the drive side, I seem to remember the chainline is 50mm.

monkey's throw poo
    Jun 2004

not sure....

Quote Originally Posted by The Littlest Hobo
    Can i please ask a similar question.

I have a 2003 liquid bike. 10 model if that effects anything.

I have fitted the hollowtech II chainset and have never been happy with the gear change since. I have had the frame faced etc and the instructions say to fit 1 spacer to a 73mm bb shell. But ow does this take into account different bikes axle lengths? Is there a more specific setup please?

im not quite sure of the question you're asking, but frames dont require certain axle lengths, frame require a certain chain line measurment, which is 50mm most of the time.
    the axle length is more compliant to the crank you're running. with the HT 2, to obtain a 50mm chain line on a 73mm shell, you must run a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side cup to obtain this, not doing so would make the chain line 47.5mm cause alot of cross chaining.
    same thing on an ISIS crank, all ISIS cranks with a triple crank (ATB) requires a 73X113mm BB. even with a 68mm shell, with a 68mm shell you will need a spacer on the BB when using a 73X113 BB, or no spacer when using a 68X113mm BB (which would give you a bad chain line) on a 68mm shell. or a 68X118 with no spacer. (which would give you a proper chain line) so you could take an old shimano LX octalink crank, which requires a 73x126mm BB and a raceface ISIS crank which requires a 73x113mm and fit them on the same frame and will give you a 50mm chain line with both. its the crank spider offset that determains the BB spindle length.
    hope you can understand this, or it was what you were asking.
    the problem with your shifting is probally the derailluer or the chain rings?
    two six is bet-ta