mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2003 Trek Fuel 80 Rear Disk Mount ???

I recently purchased an 03 Trek Fuel 80 and want to put a Juicy Seven rear Disk brake on it.
    I have no clue whatsoever what mounting bracket I need. The holes are there but there are a few of them. The current brake has a bracket but the holes are way too far apart.
    Anyone happen to know?
    Any and all info much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003 Trek Fuel 80 Rear Disk Mount ???-disk-brake-mount-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    There's an adapter you might be able to get from your local trek dealer. They are also on ebay such as this one (I have no connection with the seller)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trek-Klein-Gary-...item2a0fed58ae
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    I found this a while back for my 2001 Fuel. Never did install the disk so I can't tell you if this is what you need. Check out the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rear-disc-brake-...item2eb4aec1f3

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the help. A bit pricey, but may be my only option unless I can get my buddy to fabricate me something! I'll also check my LBS

The adapter you need was called the Trek Disco (Disc-o?) mount ..... Personally, I'd just leave the rear v-brakes and let it be.....but that's just me

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Fortunately found one at the LBS for $12.00 yesterday. Should work out quite nicely!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A-Ray, did you end up upgrading your '03 Trek Fuel 80 to discs in the rear? I just picked up an '03 Fuel 80 on craigslist after someone stole my Ironhorse Warrior and am interested in switching to disc at some point. How are you liking the Fuel and what have you upgraded?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes Mt. Drew, I did upgrade to disk brakes on the bike. I rode it twice and it performed very well.
    The bike is gone now, but I highly recommend upgrading it, if you have the wheels and the brakes to do it...
    also put a Rock Shox Revelation front fork on it, that made a world of difference. The stock front fork on the Fuel was horrible, at least on mine it was...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A-Ray, I realize that this is a really late reply but it's been winter here recently sorta.. What model/size/etc was the Rock Shox Revelation fork did you get and how much did it cost? I only paid $300 for my 2003 Fuel 80 so I don't want to put much more than that into the fork alone. I'm still considering the disc upgrade but having to buy new wheels might deter me for awhile.

mtbr member
    I just did this upgrade, $15 at my local Trek store.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish View Post
    The adapter you need was called the Trek Disco (Disc-o?) mount ..... Personally, I'd just leave the rear v-brakes and let it be.....but that's just me
    Yes on the horrible Disco mount, and yes, I'd leave the rear vees as well. Apparently the rear discs w/ the Disco mount had a habit of squealing and they had a long rod that attached somehow and ran up the seat stay to stabilize it...kinda half-arsed solution. I figure the front brake does almost all the work, Treks "solution" to a rear disc on the early Fuels was laughable ... vees are fine for rear use, unless you really need "the look". I still ride my '01 Fuel 90, still love it.