Thread: 2000 Trek 4500

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

2000 Trek 4500

Thinking about picking up a 2000 Trek 4500 today. Guy is asking $200 I'll talk him down of course. I love the 2009 / 2008s but unfortunately can't afford anything to expensive. I'm looking to do some medium off road riding (I'm in Indianapolis there's not much crazy trails here) and a good portion of road riding. Any comments or suggestions before I go look at and possibly buy this bike. I'm going in the evening.

Nick

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ended up buying the bike. Defiantly immediately want to get new pedals and grips. Eventually I'd like to change the shock out to something I can lock or adjust. Any suggestions? Also is my front shock adjustable or are those just plastic pieces on there? I can get a pic later if someone could answer my question if I showed them a pic.

Nick

Braaaapp!
    Probably only has adjustable preload. What forks are on it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a 2000 or 2001 of the Trek 4500 which was long ago retired to back up duty. It has a Rock Shox Jett which is a low end fork for that time period. The plastic pieces on the fork don't really do anything. My recollection is that the fork will lock out in cold weather. I've had it frozen solid. The frame is like a tank though. Nearly indestructible, but heavy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    yeah its the rock shox jett.