mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. 1x9 Bashwich(BBG or Blackspire) Setup on Fuel EX 8

Anyone here running a 1x9 setup with either a BBG or Blackspire bashwich on theri Fuel EX's? Recently converted to a 1x9 on my '10 Fuel EX 8 and thinking of doing the bashwich setup but wanted to see if anyone ran into any problems. I've seen someone with a Fuel EX on the 1x9 thread that said he had rubbing issues with the inner plate with the swing arm and BB area on the frame. Mine has a '12 swing arm assembly from warranty replacement. Dunno if that will have any effect. Don't think the design changed much. Anyway, if somebody is running the bashwich setup do let me know what I will be running into as far as problems setting it up... Would rather want to know before purchasing the bash guard and inner plate. Most likely will be going the BBG route. Thanks.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i was going to do it and the only issue would be grinding off the mounting posts(?) on the crank for the inner bash.

i just dont want to do that in case i don't like it. the bbg inner bash will clear the bottom bracket if the crank is ground, but not by much.
    there is no clearance issue with the chainstay. this is on my '12 ex8
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was thinking of doing the BBG Bashwich but there wasnt enough clearance without having to slightly grind down the inner bash. I went with a Bionicon chain guide for the bottom which is just awesome and I am using an E13 XCX ST chain guide for the top. I am also 1x9 on a 2010 EX8, If you look at the Fuel thread, you can see pictures of my setup. I never drop a chain!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 08hardrockmiami View Post
    I was thinking of doing the BBG Bashwich but there wasnt enough clearance without having to slightly grind down the inner bash. I went with a Bionicon chain guide for the bottom which is just awesome and I am using an E13 XCX ST chain guide for the top. I am also 1x9 on a 2010 EX8, If you look at the Fuel thread, you can see pictures of my setup. I never drop a chain!
    Yup, I saw your post while I was researching on the bashwich. Love your setup and looks clean. I like the e13 XCX and wanted to go this route till I saw the price of it. I just can't fathom the thought of spending $100+ on such a small of a part. If the bashwich idea doesn't work out too well I'm gonna have to go this route.

So a friend of mine had the BBG inner bash and I decided to test fit it. The problems that were mentioned on another thread was indeed verified. Took a dremel and grinded down the inner circumference so it wouldn't interfere with the frame on the bb. Was thinking about grinding the outer circumference of the bash but decided to just bend the bash slight inward towards the chainring. I think if I dremeled it, I would've had to take off a good chunk of it. It would defeat the purpose of the inner guard as I think there won't be as much of the guard left to hold the chain on. The bend method isn't the prettiest when your looking at it dead on while the crank is spinning but it did the job nonetheless and chainstay clearance isn't an issue anymore. The chain does rub slightly in the 2 lowest gears and I can hear it but it's no real biggie for me. If it does get super annoying down the road I suppose I should consider other options. Ordered the BBG outer bash so I will see how it all works out once that arrives but so far so good.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Trek fuel EX 9 09 with Blackspire C4 1x9 with bashguard and chain guide

I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    May 2009
    when you say you bent it in, what do you mean? my chain was able to fall in between the middle chainring and the inner bash.
    my fuel is 10 speed though, is the chain that much thicker on 9 speed?
    does your inner bash look like ")" now? if you see what i mean
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    when you say you bent it in, what do you mean? my chain was able to fall in between the middle chainring and the inner bash.
    my fuel is 10 speed though, is the chain that much thicker on 9 speed?
    does your inner bash look like ")" now? if you see what i mean
    I bent the inner bash in towards the chainring a little. Just slightly so it won't rub against the chainstay. Some parts of it I bent with a plier so it sorta looks retarded when your spinning it but only if you looks close. There's about 2-3mm clearance between the inner bash and the chainstay now, just enough so it won't rub. My chain is sandwiched in between with no room to fall in anywhere but the chainring. The inner bash does look a bit like ")"

I took it out today for a test ride and had absolutely no problems. Only thing I worry about is if I do smash into something on the inner bash while I'm riding over something, It might cause it to bend back outward but there's nothing technical or much obstacles on my local singletrack so real worries there. I will try to snap some pics later on today if I have time and remember.

Quote Originally Posted by DansDaMan561 View Post
    Trek fuel EX 9 09 with Blackspire C4 1x9 with bashguard and chain guide

Nice setup. Would love to have done this to mine but the 2010 models and on have press fit BBs. Sucks. I hear the new '13 Fuels will come with ISCG tabs. They should have done that in the first place.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Couldn't get a good angle of the inner bash/chainstay clearance but here are the pics. It looks like it will touch in the pic but believe me there's plenty of clearance there. Btw, I'm loving this setup.

Civilian Young Turk 29er