mtbr member
    Sep 2008

1999 Klein Mantra

Any of you experience your front end on these bikes to be a bit hard to control when seated climbing? Also, I feel like I am going to endo on this bike all the time. The bike is sized correctly for my height, but seems very squirrly. Been riding for years, so not a noob, but have never riden a bike I have to pay soo much attention on.

As a side note, I have the singlespeed bug real bad and haven't riden my Klein in awhile. If any of you dig these bikes, I may be willing to sell.

ARCHQUEST
    I think the Mantra frame is vary solid so flex should not be an issue. You should check your stem & handlebar length as they do impact how your front end feel. If you stem is 120-150mm and match with a short bar width like 560mm then your bike will feel vary sensitive to your imputs. You'll notice newer bike have gone with shorter stem like 90-100mm length and super wide bar like 640mm.

Check your headset make sure its not too lose.

Also older forks will flex more then modern counterparts.

I would say the swap the stem to a shorter one first and see how that works as its the most economical fix.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Try getting the handlebar up a bit. I have a 30 deg stem and set of riser bars and do not feel like I'm gonna endo at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Klein Mantra

The Klein Mantra does require a bit of getting used to. A couple of things will help.
    1.0 Change bars to risers and a bit wider.
    2.0 When decending clamp your thighs on the seat and load the suspension. This will keep it active.
    3.0 Climbing should not be a problem on the Mantra. The Mantra always climbed well.

I retired my Mantra this year with a new ride. However, I just converted it to a single speed for winter riding. Perfect full suspension bike for single speed. Suspension locks out when you stand up. Don't have to worry about chain tension because of URT design.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

long shot...

Quote Originally Posted by OneArm View Post
    Any of you experience your front end on these bikes to be a bit hard to control when seated climbing? Also, I feel like I am going to endo on this bike all the time. The bike is sized correctly for my height, but seems very squirrly. Been riding for years, so not a noob, but have never riden a bike I have to pay soo much attention on.

As a side note, I have the singlespeed bug real bad and haven't riden my Klein in awhile. If any of you dig these bikes, I may be willing to sell.
    Its a long shot but do you still have your Mantra for sale?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Klein Mantra

I turned mine into a single speed a few years back. Love to ride in the wet. Perfect design if you want a squishy single speed. When you stand the suspension locks out and on the downhills clamp the seat between your legs and the suspension stays active.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I turned mine into a wall sculpture after the rear triangle collapsed.