mtbr member
    May 2007

1996 Klein Attitude Comp

OK Klein enthusiasts.... how did I do on this purchase? Please take a look at the ebay auction I won and let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4114&rd=1&rd=1

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Come on Kleiners... ANY HELP HERE!!??

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by RascalMJ
    OK Klein enthusiasts.... how did I do on this purchase? Please take a look at the ebay auction I won and let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4114&rd=1&rd=1
    Not bad at all. It's actually a 1997 model = first year when many of the Klein special features were not there anymore. Attitude frame is like '96 Pulse II (or '94-95 Pulse) with 1 1/8" headset. But it has rear brake cable config for V-brakes instead of cantilevers and the bottom bracket is threaded so that you can use normal BBs. So in rider's perpective, it's a better thing than with Pre-Trek Kleins' special parts.
    Also the quality had not suffered (at least much) on these frames so you got yourself a great bike. The paintjob resembles a "Painted Desert" of '94-'95 bikes but it's missing one color (only a 2 color linear fade instead of 3).
    Sure, the bike isn't as desirable or collectable as '96 and older Kleins but it's a very nice machine. And the price isn't bad at all. Well done.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    Not bad at all. It's actually a 1997 model = first year when many of the Klein special features were not there anymore. Attitude frame is like '96 Pulse II (or '94-95 Pulse) with 1 1/8" headset. But it has rear brake cable config for V-brakes instead of cantilevers and the bottom bracket is threaded so that you can use normal BBs. So in rider's perpective, it's a better thing than with Pre-Trek Kleins' special parts.
    Also the quality had not suffered (at least much) on these frames so you got yourself a great bike. The paintjob resembles a "Painted Desert" of '94-'95 bikes but it's missing one color (only a 2 color linear fade instead of 3).
    Sure, the bike isn't as desirable or collectable as '96 and older Kleins but it's a very nice machine. And the price isn't bad at all. Well done.
    GREAT! Thank you SO much. I may be able to get some sleep tonight. As soon as I won the auction I just got this feeling like OH CRAP, maybe I made a mistake.

Thanks for all the info... if you have anymore, bring it my way. Including anything I may wanto to change or upgrade right away. I will check back in when I get it and take 'er for a ride. I am excited about this purchase once again. Thanks

I do have a couple question. How can you tell so much about the bike? What value do you think this bike has? What differnece does the "comp" mean for this bike
    Last edited by RascalMJ; 05-14-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Carsten
    GREAT! Thank you SO much. I may be able to get some sleep tonight. As soon as I won the auction I just got this feeling like OH CRAP, maybe I made a mistake.

Thanks for all the info... if you have anymore, bring it my way. Including anything I may wanto to change or upgrade right away. I will check back in when I get it and take 'er for a ride. I am excited about this purchase once again. Thanks

I do have a couple question. How can you tell so much about the bike? What value do you think this bike has? What differnece does the "comp" mean for this bike
    Archangel is right. imho those 97 and 98 Attitudes were the best Kleins to actually ride because they have the "legendary" Klein geometry and feel but not the Klein specific features anymore (press-fit bottom bracket, oversized head set etc.)

the color is called "Burning Sand", frame size is Large (or 21" the way Klein measured them). it is the second largest frame they had so you should be around 6' tall.

only upgrade if something is defective. the LX parts are not top of the line but decent and should work well. the fork is an Indy SL which is not bad and pretty lightweight. it has the standard 1 1/8" head tube so you have plenty of options if you want to upgrade the fork some day. just dont go to 100mm or more travel as the frame geometry is designed around 65-70mm travel, maybe 80mm but not more.

the Comp only designates the parts spec. it is the lowest spec (LX dominated). the Attitude Race was XT dominated and the Attitude Pro (1998) mostly XTR. the frames were all the same, just different colors.

well, the market value seems to be what you have paid for it as that's how auctions work. i personally think they are worth more but that doesnt help much... compared to what you would get for that amount new they are GOLD!

here's a link to the old Klein web site and your new bike

http://web.archive.org/web/199802010...tude/Comp.html

Carsten

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow, again... more great info. Thanks Carsten

I am in fact 6' tall, so that should work out well. The ad listed it as a M bike, so I was a little unsure about that, but the research I did showed that it should fit me.

Great, it sounds liek this was a good decision for me if I do want to upgrade. If I am hearing you right, it is now difficult to do on older Keins because the parts are proprietary (only used on that model and not interchangeable with common parts).

GOLD, I like that! HAHA It sounds like I got a decent deal, but not great. I am OK with that. My thing is kind of like you are saying. My alternatives at this price were limited. I was going to go new and settle for a Forge 5xx or something like that. But I wanted a Klein... and now I have one (soon will).

One last thing. I actually posted a similar thread like this in the "what bike to buy" section, but didn't get much response, So I brought it to the Kleiners. Anyway, in that thread someone basically said that this bike is garbage becasue a bike only "lasts" 5 years and this one is 10. Any truth to that (I am sure it varies due to usage/care)?

Carsten
    Anyway, in that thread someone basically said that this bike is garbage becasue a bike only "lasts" 5 years and this one is 10. Any truth to that (I am sure it varies due to usage/care)?
    such a general statement is nonsense and probably carried over from the old old days when aluminum frames were a new thing and only steel was real...

my main ride is a Pulse 2 (basically the same frame as your Attitude) that i have bought new in 96 and it has seen quite some usage. no problems at all beside normal wear and tear. the frame is still as it was, stiff, efficient and alot of fun to ride only the black paint is not as glossy anymore as it was when new! and i know many more old Kleins in daily use that are holding up very well. doesnt mean that they wont break but just from getting older certainly not. yours doesnt look like it has seen alot of miles and abuse.

Carsten

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten
    such a general statement is nonsense and probably carried over from the old old days when aluminum frames were a new thing and only steel was real...

my main ride is a Pulse 2 (basically the same frame as your Attitude) that i have bought new in 96 and it has seen quite some usage. no problems at all beside normal wear and tear. the frame is still as it was, stiff, efficient and alot of fun to ride only the black paint is not as glossy anymore as it was when new! and i know many more old Kleins in daily use that are holding up very well. doesnt mean that they wont break but just from getting older certainly not. yours doesnt look like it has seen alot of miles and abuse.

Carsten
    GREAT... yeah, that is what I thought. The pics look like the bike has barley been rode at all. So, I will report back when I get it.

Harrumph
    The rear brake cable boss-thingy isn't even seated, it's lightly used. I've got a similar vintage Attitude that I've beat the crap out of and it is still kicking.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg
    The rear brake cable boss-thingy isn't even seated, it's lightly used. I've got a similar vintage Attitude that I've beat the crap out of and it is still kicking.
    Could you explain a little more as too what this means?

Harrumph
    There is an Al insert for the internally routed cables. It's pretty common in my experience that the aft insert for the rear brake is not fully seated from the factory, it reeeeeealy helps to have that insert out when replacing the rear brake cable if you lose the tubing that it ships with. You can tell pretty easily which Trek owned-Chilias made Kleins were either not ridden very hard or not assembled that well (or both) by if that insert is fully seated. It's hard to see in the pic, but you'll understand when it's in your hands. You'll see that the Derailluer cable and front brake inserts are probably fully seated and painted over, the aft brake insert is usually unpainted. The hole for the insert IS painted, and why the insert doesn't seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    May 2007
    oh, ok... that is very interesting.So, in the pics of the bike I won, it looks like that piece is sticking out a bit. If it had been ridden a lot that would/should have been "pulled in" from the pull of the brake cable, yes?