Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,704

    160mm too much for a Fuel ex8 2008?

    So im looking to upgrade my 130mm fox fork, with a Magura Wotan 2008;

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?modelID=24418

    Would the geometry screw up? Or would the fuel ex just take it all in without any problems?

    Hope someone can answer.
    Last edited by V.P.; 08-14-2008 at 11:43 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    It'll make the head tube angle slacker which will be OK for downhills but terrible for climbing, thats on the basis that the headtube is strong enough as the extra leverage of the longer fork may stress the headtube and rip it off the rest of the frame.

    I wouldn't do it.

  3. #3
    Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Reputation: amrgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    818
    I agree with Tiffster, 30mm is too much. You may not dislike the geometry change, but you'll never know if the head tube will be able to take the extra stress.

    However, in practice if you run the same percent sag it's going to be only an extra 22mm (25% sag). If you increase the percentage sag to compensate for the extra travel, and say have 10mm of usable travel after sagging, I think that would be fine.

    Also, don't forget, what matters is the axle to crown distance. Longer travel forks generally haver longer A2C lengths, but there is variation. If the Wotan has a relatively short A2C height and the Fox you have now has a relatively taller one, and with a bit of extra sag, you could have the same effective steering angle. In that case the handling would be almost identical (not exactly because of weight transfers) but more importantly it wouldn't cause any extra stress to the frame.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Yup and i agree with your logic - but it brings up the point why bother with the fuss for only extra 10mm?

    If you feel you need 160mm forks maybe a Trek Fuel isn't the bike you should be riding?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Yup and i agree with your logic - but it brings up the point why bother with the fuss for only extra 10mm?

    If you feel you need 160mm forks maybe a Trek Fuel isn't the bike you should be riding?

    I would love to ride the remedy, but a frame-only option is not possible according to my trek-LBS. : /

    So for now, I will have to do with the fork, so im hoping to get some input,

  6. #6
    Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Reputation: amrgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    818
    Yeah, I remember your tireless search for a Remedy frame.

    My advice, sell the EX and buy a Remedy. Or forget about the Remedy. Don't try to transform the EX in a Remedy because most probably you will spend a lot of money and will spoil the ride.

    Have you thought about getting a Remedy 7 (or whichever you can get your hands on) and ebay the parts? It looks like you wanted to build a bike from the ground up. Or better yet, swapping the better parts (drivetrain comes to mind) of your EX to the Remedy 7 and sell the used EX with the lesser components? You wouldn't loose much value on the EX and your Remedy 7 build would be cheaper than a frame only build.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Well, you could break the fuel and get it swapped under warranty or something....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Well, you could break the fuel and get it swapped under warranty or something....

    yearh, I nearly broke my arm last time i did that ; ) I did get a new frame tho'

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    663

    Actually ,

    I think you could also fit a longer i2i / longer stroke shock at the rear and squeeze more travel out of the frame. This would also correct the geo / head angle for use with the longer fork and would raise the BB a little.
    The frame looks pretty beefed up front, I guess it would not have any problem handling the longer fork .
    But then again, I'm only dreaming. Dont try this at home ...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: liam2051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    849
    ok my 9 climbs horrible with the teralogic fork all the way up at 140 (i think its 140 max either that or 150) so there is no way in hell id be going with a 160 - the fox is a good fork

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    I think you could also fit a longer i2i / longer stroke shock at the rear and squeeze more travel out of the frame. This would also correct the geo / head angle for use with the longer fork and would raise the BB a little.
    The frame looks pretty beefed up front, I guess it would not have any problem handling the longer fork .
    But then again, I'm only dreaming. Dont try this at home ...

    Wait, its possible to install a longer rear shock? I thought the frame was designed around the 120mm only, and thats it. But its possible to intsall, say, 160mm?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    No you can't install a longer shock - how's it going to fit? The distance between the mounting bolts is fixed for a 190x50mm shock (from the look of it) so you can't fit a longer shock.

    I still think this is a stupid idea, Fuel's are not designed for 160mm forks and if you need 160mm a Fuel certainly isnt the frame you need.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    No you can't install a longer shock - how's it going to fit? The distance between the mounting bolts is fixed for a 190x50mm shock (from the look of it) so you can't fit a longer shock.
    Thats what I thought. But it sounded like pizzaman had a different view.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: liam2051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    849
    yep i agree with tiffster if your wanting 160 mm in the rear then there is no way that you should be riding what your riding on a fuel plain and simple.

    i suggest leave the damn thing as is, dont change front fork or rear shock lengths at all...i say this bloody twenty times a freaking week im sure...i had a kid yesterday wanting to put tripleclamp's on his 8500.....all i could say was "okay thats it ive heard the most stupidly absurd thing im ever going to hear in my life!"

    point is just dont go changing it all round, angles on bikes arent just guessed at, trek dont just go hmmm well we'll weld this bit to that bit and just jam that fork over there in her....it has a bit more on paper design than that

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    "hmmm well we'll weld this bit to that bit and just jam that fork over there in her...."


    Absolutely LMAO!!!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: liam2051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    849
    lol

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,418
    I wouldn’t put anything over a 150mm travel on the Fuel EX, in fact I think the new 2009 Talas 150mm with 15mm axle would be perfect for what you want.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11
    This is in reference to posts # 7 and 8.

    I am surprised and disappointed that there has been no outcry regarding the unethical nature of intentionally breaking a frame to acquire a warranty replacement.

    The words that come to mind are: fraudulent, lying, and stealing.

  19. #19
    Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Reputation: amrgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Screeching Halt
    This is in reference to posts # 7 and 8.

    I am surprised and disappointed that there has been no outcry regarding the unethical nature of intentionally breaking a frame to acquire a warranty replacement.

    The words that come to mind are: fraudulent, lying, and stealing.
    There were no comments probably because everyone else understood the meaning that Tiffster wanted to give to his post. He was being sarcastic. Notice the on his post? That's what smillies are for. People reading these things tend to take them too seriously.

    V.P. was the first to suffer from a broken seatstay at the weld of the brake tab and post it here, and he found that out while riding the bike. That's what he was talking about. After his thread on the subject many (well, not THAT many) others found cracks in the same place, and got their rear triangles replaced, without risking their necks to find out they had a problem.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    I didn't intend to give the idea to go out and do that, so take a chill pill.

    The point i was making is that Trek/Fisher have the most STUPID business plan in the world. They make great FRAMES but can you buy A FRAME from them? No you have to buy the whole bloody bike.

    Which is a kick in the balls for the likes of Me and the OP who have bikes they've got the spec sorted on and want something a little beefier or lighter but can't buy. Why in the name of all that is holly Trek does this is beyond me - they must loose a fortune from doing it.

    Which is why Trek have lost me as a customer in fact as i wont be buying another one of there bikes ever again as i dont want a mountain of crappy Bontrager components i'd need to sell.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    I didn't intend to give the idea to go out and do that, so take a chill pill.

    The point i was making is that Trek/Fisher have the most STUPID business plan in the world. They make great FRAMES but can you buy A FRAME from them? No you have to buy the whole bloody bike.

    Which is a kick in the balls for the likes of Me and the OP who have bikes they've got the spec sorted on and want something a little beefier or lighter but can't buy. Why in the name of all that is holly Trek does this is beyond me - they must loose a fortune from doing it.

    Which is why Trek have lost me as a customer in fact as i wont be buying another one of there bikes ever again as i dont want a mountain of crappy Bontrager components i'd need to sell.
    hahahaha sorry, I shouldn't laugh, because its really more sad then funny, but I'm exactly the same. I rode a remedy 9 at sea otter, and it was probably the nicest AM bike i've ever ridden. I'd be picking one up if it werent for bontrager

  22. #22
    Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Reputation: amrgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    818
    Hang on a second. They sell the Remedy 9 as a frame only. If you guys can't get a hold while other can, then that's a problem of your LBS/distributor. Remember that this model came very late to the market this year. Shortages are to be expected.

    Anyway, buying a Remedy 7 is not much more expensive than a frame only and after you sell all the parts on ebay or somewhere else it'll actually be cheaper. You end up with the frame for cheaper, just not the same color.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    But think of the hassle of doing that?

    And the some frames might be available in the USA - not the same in Europe.

  24. #24
    Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Reputation: amrgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    818
    A Remedy 7 MSRP is $2850. Usually you pay below MSRP, specially if the bike is in stock (I got my Remedy 8 for $2800 and it wasn't in stock, so...). I'd guess you could get one for $2500 if not less.

    If I remember it right, a frame only is a bit above $2000. You'll be able to sell all the brand new parts of the 7 for more than $500 easily.

    You make it sound like you have no option. You have, it's just a bit more work. But you'll score the frame for less, so that even things out.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,704
    I was told by my LBS that the frame was sold out in Europe : (

    Btw, I think we are going a bit OT here. ; )

    @screeching halt

    Tiffster was beeing sarcastic, I dont see how you missed that??. I broke my frame some months back, here is the topic and the whole story;

    FRAME SNAPPED!!! - On my FUEL EX 2008!!! (pics inside) *UPDATE #1*

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    hahahaha sorry, I shouldn't laugh, because its really more sad then funny, but I'm exactly the same. I rode a remedy 9 at sea otter, and it was probably the nicest AM bike i've ever ridden. I'd be picking one up if it werent for bontrager

    So you decided "no-go" on the remedy because of the Bontrager parts What's wrong with them? Is it the wheels?
    Do you have a practicle reason or is it just the brand's logo...? Don't get me wrong, not liking certain logo stickers on a few parts is a valid reason to pass up a nice bike but do you really believe Bontrager is so inferior to other brands? I mean, they all probably order their stuff from the same factory in Taiwan after all....

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,418
    I can only see a few minor things on the Remedy 9 made by Bontrager apart from the wheels, if it was the wheels then that’s just stupid because the hubs are made by DT Swiss and the rims are strong anyway without taking into account their extra width and special spoke lacing, it's got a really good wheelset.

    Come up with a good reason like you didn’t like the colour…
    Last edited by EGF168; 08-18-2008 at 05:10 AM.

  28. #28
    Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Reputation: amrgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    818
    Probably he doesn't like the 5 year warranty on bontrager parts, including the wheels.

    Just kidding, don't take it too seriously.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.