mtbr member
    Jul 2010

150mm Pike on 27.5 Remedy?

I have read that a few people on here have put a 150mm Pike on their 27.5 Remedy, however there doesn't seem to be much reports of long term results. Did it change the geometry negatively? Almost seems you could put the Mino link in the steeper setting and have a balance between slack/steep, but I have no idea what other issues may lurk.

Main reason I ask is that the 140mm Revelation seems too flexy, I am about 210 loaded and may just need a stiffer fork. I love the feel of the Revelation other than the amount of flex, and the Pike seems it would offer the closest feel with the added stiffness.

The Rev really is a nice fork, and I like the feel so much that it almost makes me consider the Monarch RT3 shock that just came out for Trek DRCV bikes. I say almost because I honestly can't say anything bad about the Fox DRCV as of yet, in fact it works without me thinking about it so... Still, I have to wonder...could it be better than the DRCV?

Back to the issue at hand, does anyone have any thoughts on putting the Pike on? Was there a perceptible difference in stiffness? Really any thought you have on the subject would be appreciated.
    The best things in life are not things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So after some reading I see that the Pike can be modified with a new air shaft to make it 140mm.

However today I took the time to really dial in the Revelation. Although it still flexes, I realized after tuning that the Duster wheels are probably the culprit more than the fork. 28 hole rims with my weight might be asking a bit much of them. So probably going to opt for having some stiffer wheels built up first and see how that goes. Still would be interested on any real world feedback comparing the Rev to Pike if anyone has run them both on their bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Using the calculator below, if I were to replace my Remedy's 140mm Revelation with a 160mm Pike it shows that the geometry becomes very close to the Slash. The biggest difference will be a 1 degree less head tube angle and 12mm more stack. The later is fixed by removing one 10mm headset spacer under the stem.

geometryCalc

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...b-geometry.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A longer fork would be raising the bottom bracket. When I tested 650B Remedy 9.8 and Slash 9 back to back on same trails I wondered if bb height was part of why it felt so great with light hands, heavy feet, and little thought to what wheel size or what type of bike you were on. It came off as wonderful do it all bike. The Slash came off as a bike for steep or got your back if you launch yet pedaled in a league that heavy duty bikes didn't have in earlier times. It's a free world with lots of parts to buy but my experience riding both on same trails was I wouldn't mess with much if anything.

Exceptions would be stem, bars, seat if not to one's liking, and that Remedy had a XR3 in front I'd replace with an XR4. I think the latter is standard on a 2015.

Different bike, but I have one with a Revelation and have had 3 different tires in front this season. Yes, I weigh less than the OP, but wow on how just the tire and inflation influences how it steers and the confidence or lack of for various types of riding.

I'm not sure about the OP's height and make up to be at 210 lbs, but I've kept some weight off my body for some years now, and that has proven to be more effective than a lot of bike part upgrades. Obviously not an upgrade that will work if one's already low body fat, but it's worth a try if there's some potential for improvement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am 6' and pretty fit, just broad and built heavy, could probably lose 10lbs. and be at fighting weight, but who's counting haha, don't have time for more training than biking a few nights a week anyway.

After really working on dialing the fork I also noticed the tire pressure makes a huge difference in how the front feels. The light hands, heavy feet is exactly how I would describe this bike wants to be ridden and just plants itself, yet feels playful at the same time.

I will take your suggestion and just hold off, when something breaks, I will try upgrades.

Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24 View Post
    150mm Pike on 27.5 Remedy?
    You mean like this?

Left it in the slack setting. Debating putting a 160 air spring in it.

Main problem I've noticed... I'm riding significantly faster/harder through rough sections of trail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150mm Pike on 27.5 Remedy?-img_2915.jpg  

'14 Remedy '10' 27.5
    '12 Tallboy AL
    '14 Motobecane Elite Trail rigid 700c commuter
    '93 Scott Montana beer bike

mtbr member
    I've thought about doing just that, and adjusting the mino link to the steeper setting. The F34 Evolution is actually fine though for most of my riding. It's just those days when I want to hit bigger stuff, that I don't think the 140mm is going to be as nice and plush as a 160.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Adding a longer fork and adjusting the mino link to the steeper setting will further raise the BB height.

I'm debating going to 160 as I'd like to run more sag (for down travel to help with front wheel tracking) but have the same effective compressive travel.
    '14 Remedy '10' 27.5
    '12 Tallboy AL

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have read that a few people on here have put a 150mm Pike on their 27.5 Remedy, however there doesn't seem to be much reports of long term results. Did it change the geometry negatively? Almost seems you could put the Mino link in the steeper setting and have a balance between slack/steep, but I have no idea what other issues may lurk.

Main reason I ask is that the 140mm Revelation seems too flexy, I am about 210 loaded and may just need a stiffer fork. I love the feel of the Revelation other than the amount of flex, and the Pike seems it would offer the closest feel with the added stiffness.

The Rev really is a nice fork, and I like the feel so much that it almost makes me consider the Monarch RT3 shock that just came out for Trek DRCV bikes. I say almost because I honestly can't say anything bad about the Fox DRCV as of yet, in fact it works without me thinking about it so... Still, I have to wonder...could it be better than the DRCV?

Back to the issue at hand, does anyone have any thoughts on putting the Pike on? Was there a perceptible difference in stiffness? Really any thought you have on the subject would be appreciated.
    I put a 150mm Pike on my 9.8 and absolutely transformed the bike for the better. Slightly slowed the steering down at near stand still speeds but other than that very worth while. An even more capable descender and not negative impact on climbing. Popping a 50mm stem on board finished things off nicely.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that...

I'm running a 55mm Easton Haven stem and a 777mm wide On One Knuckleball bars.
    '14 Remedy '10' 27.5
    '12 Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Going from the Rev to the Pike AND increasing travel to 150 is two steps of raising the front end.

Personally, Trek BBs are already tall enough for me, and further raising compromises cornering feel, so I'd just slap on a 140 Pike.

Not sure that travel is offered in a 27.5 fork. If it's not, just get a 150 and machine 10 mm off the air chamber. There are plenty of threads.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    I haven't read ALL the responses but there's one thing I suspect may be an important bit of information before you decide which travel is best. The remedy can come with a fox 34mm fork at 140mm, which is taller than the revelation in terms of axle to crown length I believe. Iirc, a fox 32mm fork is nearly as long at 120mm a/c as a revelation is at 140mm. What I'm getting at ultimately, is that it may be perfectly acceptable at 150mm, and should still actually be shorter than the standard fox 34 on bikes equipped with those.
    I did find it strange that the pike dominates the 29er lineup but not the 650b in the remedy!
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Hang on, hang on... don't over think this too much.

The Trek Remedy 7 and Remedy 8/9 all have the EXACT same geo numbers. Yes, the geo will be slightly different with the R7's Revelation fork. Why are they listed the same? B/c Trek didn't take the time (or didn't care to/didn't feel it would be worth it) to update the geo numbers for the slightly longer fork.

10mm in fork A2C length is practically imperceptible to a rider. I've done it. Changers in handlebar height/width & stem length are way more 'feel-able'. 5mm even more so.

Revelation 27.5 140
    Axle to Crown Length: 529 mm

HTA should be 0.31* steeper than with a 27.5 F34 140

Fox 34 27.5 140
    Axle to Crown Length: 534.4 mm

Pike 27.5 150
    Axle to Crown Length: 542 mm (7.6 mm longer than a 140mm F34)

HTA should be 0.45* slacker than with a 27.5 F34 140

Pike 27.5 160 (which I'll likely be running soon)
    Axle to Crown Length: 552 mm (17.6 mm longer than a 140mm F34)

The 160mm Pike will reduce my HTA by 1*, putting me right at 66.5* in the 'Low' Mino link setting.
    '14 Remedy '10' 27.5
    '12 Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm using a 160 Pike on my 27.5 Remedy and loving it. I have a 150 airshadt for the pike but I probably won't be needing it. All the advantages outweight the cons for my type of riding. I like jumps and hucking. The trails here can be harsh rocky with angled edges too and the Revelation bobs on me like a pogo stick on descents. The Revelation is a good Trail fork but has it's limits when ridden hard. I can easily tell the difference between a Pike and a Rev on a blind test if I was brave enough to ride blind-folded.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good point hokiebrett. I never even thought about the axle to crown difference in forks. I actually am enjoying the revelation now that I have it more dialed. Plus I had the wheels re-tensioned but can't say it made a huge difference. They are 28 hole after all...but I have been trying to be more fluid and flow with the bike and it seems to be helping my skills so there is an upside. That or...Decided more just to not think about it and ride, when pushing it the flex is still there, if anything I think a 32 hole wheelset will be first, possibly some Nox carbon, we'll see. Winter is coming and I promised my wife and daughter new xc skis so that is going to eat into my bike related purchases.

The thing is when I ride this bike I just love it, by far the best suited bike for me I have ever had. New fork, new wheels are really just nit picking on my part. I want them, but don't need them, bikes do that to us haha. I have no problem spending money on hobbies, whats the point in working if I can't enjoy some of the money, luckily I only have a few hobbies. Biking, skiing, and Photography. Unfortunately they all tend to be expensive and consumable...

Now, if I were single, the story would be different, I would have a project one bike and no money in my accounts, and grinning like a cheshire cat. Would I be faster because of the bike? Maybe, but that wouldn't matter, it's about enjoyment, and I would enjoy having it

mtbr member
    if anything I think a 32 hole wheelset will be first
    My Remedy has 35mm (OD) hookless carbon wheels with 32 spokes

I have no problem spending money on hobbies, whats the point in working if I can't enjoy some of the money, luckily I only have a few hobbies. Biking, skiing, and Photography. Unfortunately they all tend to be expensive and consumable...
    Right there with you... + a modified, '98 Jeep TJ Wrangler as a hobby... and a 2nd mountain bike (full carbon) + the wife's mountain bike...

We're recently married, so I had to spend all of my money on toys while I still could
    '14 Remedy '10' 27.5
    '12 Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone tried a fork with a different offset on the remedy?

Afaik rockshox offset are 42mm for the pike or the revelation.

Now the choice for 34mm forks is wide and with different offsets

Rockshox does 42mm offset
    Manitou, srsuntour, fox 44mm
    Marzocchi and xfusion 46mm

I wonder which would suit the best for the remedy geometry?

mtbr member
    I liked the way my 46mm offset XFusion felt when it was on my Remedy.

If I could've found a "G2" crown Pike on sale, I would've gone that route.
    '14 Remedy '10' 27.5
    '12 Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    The difference between a 42 and 44, or 45 and 46 is tougher to notice.

But jumping from 46 to 42 was very noticeable. I've gotten used to it now, but I'd still prefer the higher offset. Especially with my HTA down around 66.5* now, due to the 160 Pike and the Mino link in the slack setting.
    '14 Remedy '10' 27.5
    '12 Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hokiebrett, i guess you have a pike now, how was the change compared to the xfusion sweep ? Is it worth the extra $?

mtbr member
    Eh. Maybe?

Pike looks burlier... Which leads to the feeling of stiffer. I like the charger damper better, but people are having good luck tuning the XF RL2 damper.

Sweep + dropper post will net more performance (for the same $$h as a Pike upgrade.
    '14 Remedy '10' 27.5
    '12 Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ok thanks

mtbr member
    So, an update here.

Rode Little Scraggy Trail at Buffalo Creek (if you care, lol)... it's a pretty pedally trail with some OK flow spots. Last time I rode it was on my TBa and it was a blast.

Rode it Saturday on the Remedy with a 160 Pike and it was a completely different trail. The slacker bike was not as fun on a more mellow, pedally trail.

That being said, my 150 Pike on the Remedy was nice and 150 is probably the safest bet for an all around, long trail trail bike. (Keep in mind a 150 Pike is only a 6-7 mm taller than a 140 Fox 34, so your geo won't change thaaaat much).

With my 160, I notice wander on climbs. Not horrible, but it's slightly there. I adjust a little more by shifting my weight forward on the saddle on long, steep climbs. The 160 really needs some speed to wake it up and get the handling to be spot-on. Ripping down a trail, it's a blast.

Remember: this advice and a $1 will buy you a cup of coffee.

YMMV
    '14 Remedy '10' 27.5
    '12 Tallboy AL