mtbr member
    Sep 2005

142 conversion question

I want to convert my 2014 remedy 7 to accept a142 axle. I see that the conversion kit comes with a pair of bearings, are those a different size than what is in the frame already or just replacements?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Maybe I'm not sure what you are asking. 142 refers to the width of the hub and is generally a standard in modern mountain bikes (a change over the past several years from the 135mm standard). Frames either accept a 142mm or 135mm hub and you can not interchange, you need to use the width that is accomodated by the frame. Conversion refers to adapters the space out the width of the hub so that the wheel itself can be used in either a 135 or 142mm frame. As for the axle they are generally referred to In terms of their diameter. Most 142mm hubs use a 12mm axle. I believe your bike uses this 142x12 standard, does it not? Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for your response, but you're missing something. My bike is a remedy 7 that comes standard with a 135 Axle and dropout setup. There is a kit from trek that allows the frame to be set up as a 142 thru axle like the Remedy 8 models and better come with.

This kit comes with different dropouts, i've noticed in pictures that said kit comes with 2 bearings. My question is if these bearings are the same size as what is currently in the frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I don't think they are the same size. The conversion has to fit the 12 mm axle compared to 10mm that you now have. From what I understand, the trek abp essentially makes the qr 142mm instead of 135, so the conversion just has to make the bike accept the thicker axle. I don't really understand where the 7mm difference in length comes from between the 2 standards, since many frames can be converted. You can't really spread the chainstays out, so I think the hub width is the same between the 2 sizes, but the actual width of the axle is 142, or 135 if it is a qr?

Not that it matters, the frame can be converted, but you will need a new hub since the one on the Remedy 7 cannot be converted to 142x12 .

Sorry for the long explanation, hopefully it makes some sense, even if I don't quite understand how it all works.
    The best things in life are not things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks, I have a 142 compatible rear wheel that I will be using. Maybe someone that has done the conversion can chime in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I haven't done the conversion yet to remedy 7 but I have talked to trek about the parts, all you'll need is the 2 drop outs, axle, and a 142x12 hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Did the conversion on my Fuel EX7, there are the 2 frame inserts, and the 142x12 axle. Bontrager Rhythm Comp can be used with either 142x12 or the good old QR. Cost me 60$ at LBS

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for your response, I'm going to be using a duster 142 rear wheel.