mtbr member
    Apr 2012

13 Rumblefish Elite or 14 Fuel EX 7 29

I just sold my 2011 EX 8 and have a new Rumblefish Elite getting set up at my LBS right now. I loved my EX 8 but was hoping I would like a 29 and maybe get a little more speed from a trail bike. Should I wait for the new EX 29 7? The upgrade to the Ex7 is about $700 but I don't know if it's worth it. What is the difference in the rear suspension? as that looks like the difference.

mtbr member

Re: 13 Rumblefish Elite or 14 Fuel EX 7 29

Jump to the ex8 29er if you do it. Only a few hundred more, I know that sounds silly, but you get the through axle, slx brakes and xt shadow rear.
    I have ridden a rumblefish and it was awesome but did have a good bit more movement while climbing than my ex8 does. I don't think either sucks though and you'd have an awesome ride.
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I would go with the Fuel Ex. The rear suspension seems to be much better. There have been several reviews written so far on the Fuel, and the consensus seems to be that it is a significant upgrade over the Rumble.

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    There have been several reviews written so far on the Fuel, and the consensus seems to be that it is a significant upgrade over the Rumble.
    Interested. Have you seen any online?
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by de lars cuevas View Post
    Interested. Have you seen any online?
    Trek Fuel EX 29 9.8 - First Ride Review - BikeRadar

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    @ Haymarket: thanks. But unless i should read Rumblefish everytime the review states Superfly, it's not really a comparison to the RF?
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by de lars cuevas View Post
    @ Haymarket: thanks. But unless i should read Rumblefish everytime the review states Superfly, it's not really a comparison to the RF?
    He starts with: "Trek's new 120mm-travel Fuel EX 29 chassis pushes aside the shortcomings of the outgoing Rumblefish"

Take it for what it's worth....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have not ridden the Fuel yet,

But one thing that intrigues me if we are comparing it with the Fish,

It has a longer top tube , the 17.5 Fuel has a 605mm TT , which is exactly what the 19 inch Rumblefish has .

I ride a 19 inch rumblefish, found the 17.5 a little cramped , but the 17.5 Fuel may be a good fit.

mtbr member
    I tried the Fuel EX 29 9 on a two hour mountain ride with lots of rocks and ruts. It felt just very good and did it's thing real well. Not really playful, but very capable. I really liked the old Rumblefish (felt it also was a lot of fun at the time), but this is a step up in my book.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    He starts with: "Trek's new 120mm-travel Fuel EX 29 chassis pushes aside the shortcomings of the outgoing Rumblefish"

Take it for what it's worth....
    Note the review said "outgoing Rumblefish" as in discontinued....no need for it with Fuel. The Superfly will stay as the XS Full Suspension race oriented bike. Then the Fuel 29 and the Remedy 29 for increasing travel/slack geometry.

So if Trek is discontinuing the Rumblefish you could a) get a good deal on one very soon, or b) assume they are telling you the Fuel is a superior bike.

I ride a 2011 HiFi (same as a Superfly today, or a Rumblefish with only 100mm travel instead of 120). I very much like the bike. Definitely benefits from Pro pedal being on when climbing. Not the most plush suspension. But good. I have yet to ride the new Fuel 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Get a Remedy7 or 8= 140 fork travel and Mino Link.
    Remedy 7 29 - Trek Bicycle