Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dansmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67

    '11 Trek Remedy 7 Chain Guide

    Hi Trek Fans..

    My 2011 Remedy needs a Chain device..

    I really only want to keep my chain from slapping and occasionally falling off.

    anyone with a 2011 remedy have any tips/recommendations for me??

    cheers all...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '11 Trek Remedy 7 Chain Guide-p7170080.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    150
    I'd like the same advice for my '10 Remedy 7. These bikes need a good chain guide!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jedenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    103
    I would drop the big front ring and fit a Blackspire Stinger with a bash ring, its cheap and keeps the chain in place, my Remedy would drop the chain all the time with 3 rings.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jedenton View Post
    I would drop the big front ring and fit a Blackspire Stinger with a bash ring, its cheap and keeps the chain in place, my Remedy would drop the chain all the time with 3 rings.
    I have a bash ring and a blackspire stinger for almost 2 years on my Remedy9 '08.
    I also swapped the middle 32T ring for a 36T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '11 Trek Remedy 7 Chain Guide-dsc_0686.jpg  

    Last edited by covas; 08-15-2011 at 08:12 AM.

  5. #5
    LocoMTBer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    I have a 2011 Trek Remedy 8 and was trying to do the same thing. I have removed the 3rd ring and put on a race face bash guard. Would the blackspire work on my bike?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jedenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    103
    Yes, just get the ISCG one.

  7. #7
    LocoMTBer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    Sweet thanks for the reply. I am ordering one now. Since the remedy has ISCG 03, is their one made for that system?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jedenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    103
    Blackspire just call it ISCG which is the ISCG 03 spec.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    129
    Question for anyone...

    When you run a two-ring, do you have to do anything with your shifter, or just remember not to shift into the big ring?
    2011 Remedy 9, for everything.
    2008 Jamis Kromo, for back yard pump track.
    2009 Hoffman BMX, to break my neck.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dansmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67
    I emailed MRP and told them of my want for a double and bash for my Remedy 7 (Sram Crank) with chain retention and they replied:

    "The best solution for you is the ISCG mount LRP. You'll be able to keep your small and middle ring and your outer ring will be replaced with the included bashguard."

    So, I plan to get an MRP LRP and swap the frail MRP bash for a Raceface one..

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_in_AZ View Post
    Question for anyone...

    When you run a two-ring, do you have to do anything with your shifter, or just remember not to shift into the big ring?
    You just need to set the high limit screw on the front derailleur so that it won't shift into the big ring position. When you ditch the big ring, remember to shorten your chain too. That makes the biggest difference in preventing chain slap. I don't know why they still ship 6" travel bikes with triple cranksets.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    You just need to set the high limit screw on the front derailleur so that it won't shift into the big ring position. When you ditch the big ring, remember to shorten your chain too. That makes the biggest difference in preventing chain slap. I don't know why they still ship 6" travel bikes with triple cranksets.
    Is there a correct way to determine how much to shorten the chain? Or, is just a guess and feel thing?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    You just need to set the high limit screw on the front derailleur so that it won't shift into the big ring position. When you ditch the big ring, remember to shorten your chain too. That makes the biggest difference in preventing chain slap. I don't know why they still ship 6" travel bikes with triple cranksets.
    Thank you
    2011 Remedy 9, for everything.
    2008 Jamis Kromo, for back yard pump track.
    2009 Hoffman BMX, to break my neck.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    128

    Mrp 2x

    Has anyone tried the new MRP 2X for this same application? Take your third ring off and the bash is a skid under the BB and not on the crank. I like the design of this one. But, it's a little pricey. Just wanted to see if anyone is using it?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16
    I did this on my Trek Remedy 7 2011 today. Worked great! I'll post pics and details once I get my new bashguard in the mail.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dansmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67

    It'd be good to see chain device photos!

    Looking forward to seeing your setup enkeb..
    I've got my blackspire stinger but still awaiting my 2 x 10 shifters
    and front mech to arrive as well as my 38/24 chainring..
    I'll upload finished product.. unless I like your set up more and copy your idea!

    cheers all..

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    340
    Straightline Silent Guide
    Straitline Silent Guides

    Running this on my 2011 Remedy 9. Set it and forget it. Have not dropped the chain once since I installed this beauty!
    --
    Joe Partridge

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16
    I will get this up soon. I ran the complete setup today and I didnt drop the chain or suck it in except when I cranked backwards during a shift.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dansmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67
    Hi all..

    So I'm attempting the install with my local mechanic..

    Just wondering: I have a 26 and 38 Blackspire chainring and I have a Raceface 40t Bashring..

    I'm having trouble setting it up, anyone know If i need spacers on my Trek Remedy 7 (2011)?

    Please Help!

    p.s. I got the raceface bash as the Blackspire one was sold out in black..

    cheers!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    Hi all..

    So I'm attempting the install with my local mechanic..

    Just wondering: I have a 26 and 38 Blackspire chainring and I have a Raceface 40t Bashring..

    I'm having trouble setting it up, anyone know If i need spacers on my Trek Remedy 7 (2011)?

    Please Help!

    p.s. I got the raceface bash as the Blackspire one was sold out in black..

    cheers!

    Yes you need a spacer (installed between the bearing and the bb on the drive side) with that crank to accommodate for the blackspire chain guide that you are installing.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dansmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67

    Good job! Compatibility Concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by enkeb View Post
    Yes you need a spacer (installed between the bearing and the bb on the drive side) with that crank to accommodate for the blackspire chain guide that you are installing.
    Cheers for your help Enkeb;

    I have ISCG mounts on my Remedy, and my chainrings are Blackspire 8/9 Speed but they should be compatible? right?

    My LBS mechanic will try the install again (bike's still in the shop) once I have the Blackspire Bashguard (from CRC, should arrive tomorrow)..

    But he reckons I should put my SRAM crank on my Hard tail, (which I was about to buy a new crankset for) and buy a Shimano SLX or XT crankset for my Remedy as the BB and bottom bracket is smaller and the spacers will allow the stinger to be placed in the correct position.

    What are your thoughts? and did you manage to take pics of your bike?

    Cheers again!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16

    We the people ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    Cheers for your help Enkeb;

    I have ISCG mounts on my Remedy, and my chainrings are Blackspire 8/9 Speed but they should be compatible? right?

    My LBS mechanic will try the install again (bike's still in the shop) once I have the Blackspire Bashguard (from CRC, should arrive tomorrow)..

    But he reckons I should put my SRAM crank on my Hard tail, (which I was about to buy a new crankset for) and buy a Shimano SLX or XT crankset for my Remedy as the BB and bottom bracket is smaller and the spacers will allow the stinger to be placed in the correct position.

    What are your thoughts? and did you manage to take pics of your bike?

    Cheers again!
    Yes the chainrings shouldnt be a problem.

    Since you're adding a 1/8in of space. That is just that much space your crank will be missing out on the other end. So I added a spacer so it clears the BB bearing on the drive side where the ISCG tabs are and there you go.

    Pics will be up as soon as I post more!!!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dansmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67

    MRP 2x

    Quote Originally Posted by enkeb View Post
    I did this on my Trek Remedy 7 2011 today. Worked great! I'll post pics and details once I get my new bashguard in the mail.
    As I'm having dramas setting up my Stinger on the SRAM crank..

    I'm considering buying a MRP 2x, (or LRP) and using the Stinger on my HardTail..

    that, or buy a Shimano Cranset to put on my Remedy.

    What Crank are you running on your Remedy? the SRAM that it came with? or an other?

    Cheers..

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    As I'm having dramas setting up my Stinger on the SRAM crank..

    I'm considering buying a MRP 2x, (or LRP) and using the Stinger on my HardTail..

    that, or buy a Shimano Cranset to put on my Remedy.

    What Crank are you running on your Remedy? the SRAM that it came with? or an other?

    Cheers..
    I am using the stock crank using a spacer in the BB. Photos soon!

  25. #25
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    770

    Sorry can't resist

    "I don't know why they still ship 6" travel bikes with triple cranksets."






    I like to go faaast.....
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    345

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dansmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67

    Finished Chain Device, Crank and Chainset Upgrade

    Blackspire Super Ring God, 38t & 26t Blackspire Chainsets on a 10speed SLX Crank...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '11 Trek Remedy 7 Chain Guide-stinger.jpg  

    Last edited by dansmac; 11-14-2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amboy777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4

    New question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    Blackspire Super Ring God, 38t & 26t Blackspire Chainsets on a 10speed SLX Crank...
    will it make a big diff. if am running 3x10 42t-32t-24t & converting to 2x10 38t-26t am just worry to loose my 24t granny for hilly climb

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dansmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67

    climbing is fine..

    Quote Originally Posted by amboy777 View Post
    will it make a big diff. if am running 3x10 42t-32t-24t & converting to 2x10 38t-26t am just worry to loose my 24t granny for hilly climb
    I don't have a problem climbing, but i noticed a little less power at the top end..

    It's great having a quiet bike now though.. I haven't lost the chain once since..

    I had a small issue of slight chain suck, but shortened the chain and got a medium cage rear mech and all is good..

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    Blackspire Super Ring God, 38t & 26t Blackspire Chainsets on a 10speed SLX Crank...
    I would like to do exactly this on my Fuel Ex, although would have to use the BB version as no ISCG on that bike.
    "Let the wheels spin."

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amboy777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    I don't have a problem climbing, but i noticed a little less power at the top end..

    It's great having a quiet bike now though.. I haven't lost the chain once since..

    I had a small issue of slight chain suck, but shortened the chain and got a medium cage rear mech and all is good..
    im glad everything working well looks good too, i think i will do d'same setup too (Blackspire C4 bash & Stinger chainguide & Super Pro 104mm BCD Chainring 36t).

    Did you have problem installing your blackspire chainring 8/9 sp to your new SLX 10sp crankset?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dansmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67
    I had to use a spacer but can't remember which side.. will check when I can.. once I realised I needed the roller pretty much touching the bash guard it was all ok..

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    I am having to use a spacer on my '12 Remedy 9, the screws that came with the MRP don't fully match with the guide and so stuck out some, catching on my smallest chain gear.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    45
    I have a Remedy 7 and have run into the same issues of fouling of the crank bolts on the blackspire stinger ISCG bolts. What size spacer did you use and did you add one on both sides to balance up the q factor?

  35. #35

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by rcadena79 View Post
    I have a 2011 Trek Remedy 8 and was trying to do the same thing. I have removed the 3rd ring and put on a race face bash guard. Would the blackspire work on my bike?
    Meh. Don't bother. Just use the large chainring as a bash guard!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Highwaystreets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    431
    I'm gonna add a 2X to my remedy and go to 2x10 from the 3x10 stock setup. What else do I need to buy to do the 2x10 setup? Just 2 new rings?
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwaystreets View Post
    I'm gonna add a 2X to my remedy and go to 2x10 from the 3x10 stock setup. What else do I need to buy to do the 2x10 setup? Just 2 new rings?
    Read the beginning of the thread/the whole thread. A couple of people have mentioned what they use. But you only need new rings if you want to change the sizes of the rings (or if the rings are worn).

    I intend to get a Blackspire Stinger, take off the large chainring, and not use a bash guard.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Highwaystreets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutaxis View Post
    Read the beginning of the thread/the whole thread. A couple of people have mentioned what they use. But you only need new rings if you want to change the sizes of the rings (or if the rings are worn).

    I intend to get a Blackspire Stinger, take off the large chainring, and not use a bash guard.
    I found a shimano saint group with BB, cranks, and 22/36 rings I beleieve for a great price so I'm gonna drop that in and the 2x so that should work well I'm thinking for a 2x10.

    I've heard really good things on the blackspire
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaylen View Post
    I am having to use a spacer on my '12 Remedy 9, the screws that came with the MRP don't fully match with the guide and so stuck out some, catching on my smallest chain gear.
    I found the blacspire screws sit too proud and foul the chainring bolts too. Bad design by Blackspire.

    Quote Originally Posted by enkeb View Post
    Yes you need a spacer (installed between the bearing and the bb on the drive side) with that crank to accommodate for the blackspire chain guide that you are installing.
    I don't get how this works. If you do this the crank on the non-drive side is not going to be on very securely. It won't be 'home'. ??

    p.s. Also, I just added a spacer between the bb and the frame on the drive side to try to push the chainrings further out. All that happened was that the crankset went further in! I assume I need to add more spacer(s), but I still think when I do the non-drive crank won't be 'home'.
    Last edited by peanutaxis; 01-08-2013 at 11:58 PM.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rcko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    115
    On my e13 Trs+ double I used a 1.25mm + a 0.5mm spacer between the iscg tab and the chain guide plate. The 2mm will also work and might swap to that one.

    Basically the chain stay at the pivot pt will rub the back side of the chain guide plate unless you offset it.

    I also had a stinger and it fit pretty decently. No issues.

    Btw, these fits are on 2011 remedy 8



    Shark Fin
    Last edited by rcko; 01-14-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 08:49 AM
  3. Advice Needed - Chonic chain breakage on '08 Trek Remedy 8
    By LongviewTx in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 08:24 AM
  4. Chain guide on a remedy
    By XxTHExAGENTxX in forum Trek
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 08:23 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •