Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

'11 Trek Remedy 7 Chain Guide

Hi Trek Fans..

My 2011 Remedy needs a Chain device..

I really only want to keep my chain from slapping and occasionally falling off.

anyone with a 2011 remedy have any tips/recommendations for me??

cheers all...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '11 Trek Remedy 7 Chain Guide-p7170080.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'd like the same advice for my '10 Remedy 7. These bikes need a good chain guide!

mtbr member
    I would drop the big front ring and fit a Blackspire Stinger with a bash ring, its cheap and keeps the chain in place, my Remedy would drop the chain all the time with 3 rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jedenton View Post
    I would drop the big front ring and fit a Blackspire Stinger with a bash ring, its cheap and keeps the chain in place, my Remedy would drop the chain all the time with 3 rings.
    I have a bash ring and a blackspire stinger for almost 2 years on my Remedy9 '08.
    I also swapped the middle 32T ring for a 36T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '11 Trek Remedy 7 Chain Guide-dsc_0686.jpg  

Last edited by covas; 08-15-2011 at 08:12 AM.

LocoMTBer
    Aug 2011
    I have a 2011 Trek Remedy 8 and was trying to do the same thing. I have removed the 3rd ring and put on a race face bash guard. Would the blackspire work on my bike?

mtbr member
    Yes, just get the ISCG one.

LocoMTBer
    Aug 2011
    Sweet thanks for the reply. I am ordering one now. Since the remedy has ISCG 03, is their one made for that system?

mtbr member
    Blackspire just call it ISCG which is the ISCG 03 spec.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Question for anyone...

When you run a two-ring, do you have to do anything with your shifter, or just remember not to shift into the big ring?
    2011 Remedy 9, for everything.
    2008 Jamis Kromo, for back yard pump track.
    2009 Hoffman BMX, to break my neck.

mtbr member
    I emailed MRP and told them of my want for a double and bash for my Remedy 7 (Sram Crank) with chain retention and they replied:

"The best solution for you is the ISCG mount LRP. You'll be able to keep your small and middle ring and your outer ring will be replaced with the included bashguard."

So, I plan to get an MRP LRP and swap the frail MRP bash for a Raceface one..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_in_AZ View Post
    Question for anyone...

When you run a two-ring, do you have to do anything with your shifter, or just remember not to shift into the big ring?
    You just need to set the high limit screw on the front derailleur so that it won't shift into the big ring position. When you ditch the big ring, remember to shorten your chain too. That makes the biggest difference in preventing chain slap. I don't know why they still ship 6" travel bikes with triple cranksets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    You just need to set the high limit screw on the front derailleur so that it won't shift into the big ring position. When you ditch the big ring, remember to shorten your chain too. That makes the biggest difference in preventing chain slap. I don't know why they still ship 6" travel bikes with triple cranksets.
    Is there a correct way to determine how much to shorten the chain? Or, is just a guess and feel thing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Thank you
    2011 Remedy 9, for everything.
    2008 Jamis Kromo, for back yard pump track.
    2009 Hoffman BMX, to break my neck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Mrp 2x

Has anyone tried the new MRP 2X for this same application? Take your third ring off and the bash is a skid under the BB and not on the crank. I like the design of this one. But, it's a little pricey. Just wanted to see if anyone is using it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I did this on my Trek Remedy 7 2011 today. Worked great! I'll post pics and details once I get my new bashguard in the mail.

mtbr member

It'd be good to see chain device photos!

Looking forward to seeing your setup enkeb..
    I've got my blackspire stinger but still awaiting my 2 x 10 shifters
    and front mech to arrive as well as my 38/24 chainring..
    I'll upload finished product.. unless I like your set up more and copy your idea!

cheers all..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Straightline Silent Guide
    Straitline Silent Guides

Running this on my 2011 Remedy 9. Set it and forget it. Have not dropped the chain once since I installed this beauty!
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I will get this up soon. I ran the complete setup today and I didnt drop the chain or suck it in except when I cranked backwards during a shift.

mtbr member
    Hi all..

So I'm attempting the install with my local mechanic..

Just wondering: I have a 26 and 38 Blackspire chainring and I have a Raceface 40t Bashring..

I'm having trouble setting it up, anyone know If i need spacers on my Trek Remedy 7 (2011)?

Please Help!

p.s. I got the raceface bash as the Blackspire one was sold out in black..

cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    Hi all..

So I'm attempting the install with my local mechanic..

Just wondering: I have a 26 and 38 Blackspire chainring and I have a Raceface 40t Bashring..

I'm having trouble setting it up, anyone know If i need spacers on my Trek Remedy 7 (2011)?

Please Help!

p.s. I got the raceface bash as the Blackspire one was sold out in black..

cheers!

Yes you need a spacer (installed between the bearing and the bb on the drive side) with that crank to accommodate for the blackspire chain guide that you are installing.

mtbr member

Good job! Compatibility Concern?

Quote Originally Posted by enkeb View Post
    Yes you need a spacer (installed between the bearing and the bb on the drive side) with that crank to accommodate for the blackspire chain guide that you are installing.
    Cheers for your help Enkeb;

I have ISCG mounts on my Remedy, and my chainrings are Blackspire 8/9 Speed but they should be compatible? right?

My LBS mechanic will try the install again (bike's still in the shop) once I have the Blackspire Bashguard (from CRC, should arrive tomorrow)..

But he reckons I should put my SRAM crank on my Hard tail, (which I was about to buy a new crankset for) and buy a Shimano SLX or XT crankset for my Remedy as the BB and bottom bracket is smaller and the spacers will allow the stinger to be placed in the correct position.

What are your thoughts? and did you manage to take pics of your bike?

Cheers again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

We the people ...

Cheers for your help Enkeb;

I have ISCG mounts on my Remedy, and my chainrings are Blackspire 8/9 Speed but they should be compatible? right?

My LBS mechanic will try the install again (bike's still in the shop) once I have the Blackspire Bashguard (from CRC, should arrive tomorrow)..

But he reckons I should put my SRAM crank on my Hard tail, (which I was about to buy a new crankset for) and buy a Shimano SLX or XT crankset for my Remedy as the BB and bottom bracket is smaller and the spacers will allow the stinger to be placed in the correct position.

What are your thoughts? and did you manage to take pics of your bike?

Cheers again!
    Yes the chainrings shouldnt be a problem.

Since you're adding a 1/8in of space. That is just that much space your crank will be missing out on the other end. So I added a spacer so it clears the BB bearing on the drive side where the ISCG tabs are and there you go.

Pics will be up as soon as I post more!!!

mtbr member

MRP 2x

Quote Originally Posted by enkeb View Post
    I did this on my Trek Remedy 7 2011 today. Worked great! I'll post pics and details once I get my new bashguard in the mail.
    As I'm having dramas setting up my Stinger on the SRAM crank..

I'm considering buying a MRP 2x, (or LRP) and using the Stinger on my HardTail..

that, or buy a Shimano Cranset to put on my Remedy.

What Crank are you running on your Remedy? the SRAM that it came with? or an other?

Cheers..

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    As I'm having dramas setting up my Stinger on the SRAM crank..

I'm considering buying a MRP 2x, (or LRP) and using the Stinger on my HardTail..

that, or buy a Shimano Cranset to put on my Remedy.

What Crank are you running on your Remedy? the SRAM that it came with? or an other?

Cheers..
    I am using the stock crank using a spacer in the BB. Photos soon!

mtbr member

Sorry can't resist

"I don't know why they still ship 6" travel bikes with triple cranksets."

I like to go faaast.....
    2014 Tallboy 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast