mtbr member

'09 Fuel EX 9.8 in the garage

Just picked her up tonight and getting ready for first ride tomorrow . Observations and weirdnesses noted....

1. Weight with xtr pedals, garmin 305 and bell 26.6 pounds. Shop scale said 22...they acknowledged scale not right. I'm using the Ultimate bike scale.

2. Though came with nice shock pump, no psi info available for recommended initial shock setup ...would've been nice if that was included, as the info on the trek site is outdated.

3. Removed shift indicators and like the little xt plate stashed inside to cover the hole. Now my bell fits right.

4. 90mm stem too short, and they swapped for 110mm....perfect.

5. 170mm crank not what I like. wish that was noted on the site spec, as the 69r top fuel has 175mm crank. I'll ride it for now, but will replace with 175. Anyone want to trade?

6. crank bearings are very sticky. Do these loosen up, or is something amiss? If anything like xtr, there's no adjustment and wondering if this is normal xt behavior. Old XTR and Bontrager carbon crank spin forever compared to this.

7. Brakes dragging a bit no matter how I try to center calipers, but will get a good ride on them before messing around with them too much.

8. No one in the shop knew that the pro pedal adjust knob had to be pulled out for the 3 position selector. Had to hit the fox site to see how that works.

9. It's a beautiful bike and can't wait to hit the trail tomorrow

Mark

mtbr member
    ok dont take this as criticism but you outlaid the $$$'s on a bike and the shop didnt even know how it worked? AND they have inaccurate tools? And with all that said you still had to play with the front caliper?

I might be picky but i wouldnt have spent the money there

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Got my 9.8 last week, had one ride so far and felt great. Same setup for me, xtr pedals and Garmin 305 - but no bell so call mine 26.5lb What size is yours?

Suspension feels so plush but it's an awesome climber too, and didn't feel the need to use the propedal - had it off for 95% of the ride.

Mine came with a small plastic clip for the rear shock that clips to the body and indicates a 25-30% sag range - set the pressure, sit on the bike and make sure the o-ring falls in that range for a rough guide. Felt right to me on my first ride, will tweak it a bit tomorrow.

My brakes felt great, and no problem with the cranks that I noticed either.

Enjoy the bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liam2051
    ok dont take this as criticism but you outlaid the $$$'s on a bike and the shop didnt even know how it worked? AND they have inaccurate tools? And with all that said you still had to play with the front caliper?

I might be picky but i wouldnt have spent the money there
    No offense taken on your comments. They need to know more about the bike, and certainly some areas that could use improvement. In their defense....new manager that is trying hard to keep people happy and listening. And the owner is also taking serious measures to whip the place in shape. It's a good shop, great location, but lost direction and is getting back on track.

They gave me an amazing deal on the bike and built it very quickly. Also in their defense...they spent most of their time trimming the cables and re-bleeding the brakes as I run mine moto style. Normally shops won't do that, but they bled them perfectly, which was a huge benefit for me, and time/$ saver. I'd rather have them do the brakes and I'll deal with the fine tuning given the choice of not riding my bike today.

all good,

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phazon
    Got my 9.8 last week, had one ride so far and felt great. Same setup for me, xtr pedals and Garmin 305 - but no bell so call mine 26.5lb What size is yours?

Suspension feels so plush but it's an awesome climber too, and didn't feel the need to use the propedal - had it off for 95% of the ride.

Mine came with a small plastic clip for the rear shock that clips to the body and indicates a 25-30% sag range - set the pressure, sit on the bike and make sure the o-ring falls in that range for a rough guide. Felt right to me on my first ride, will tweak it a bit tomorrow.

My brakes felt great, and no problem with the cranks that I noticed either.

Enjoy the bike!
    Mine's a 15.5". Was hoping it'd be 25.?? but so it goes. Climbing compared to my Superfly really doesn't compare. The Superfly is like cheating on climbs so I was strugging a bit today keeping my normal pace. Honestly couldn't tell the difference with Pro Pedal, but as the rear was too stiff, probably not a good comparison. tomorrow at lower psi should be more telling on the climbs.

But descending even without the benefit of any fine tuning was pretty amazing for a first day. Normally feel a bit nervous on a new ride, but within a few feet of the first hill was letting it rip and felt very confident with what the bike would do.

For a first day, I'm very impressed with the bike and can't wait to get everything dialed in.

Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0