Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08 trek fuel EX

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

08 trek fuel EX

the 2008 trek fuel Ex bike are on treks website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Link to 08 Fuel EX Website

mtbr member
    and it also rides perfect on the trail......big improve compared to the 2007 model

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Does anyone know the weight of the new Fuel EX line up in particular the 2008 EX 8 or 9? Have they shaved some weight off of the 2008 models compared to the 2007 models?

mtbr member
    The changes will be a big plus if it stays in one piece. Looks interesting, hopefully we'll here some real evals soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clemson
    and it also rides perfect on the trail......big improve compared to the 2007 model
    It rides perfect? Have you ridden one?

mtbr member
    Just don't know about that colour on the EX-8 (satin khakis green?). Will be interesting to see it for real. I think I heard someone post that there won't be colour option available.

At least they look better than the Stumpies... those look like they should be under a clown.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    we weighed a medium (i think) EX8 at my lbs and it came in at 28.88 it had a water bottle cage on it and an empty bottle

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    going for this one

any prices yet?

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19
    Just don't know about that colour on the EX-8 (satin khaki green/white?). Will be interesting to see it for real. I think I heard someone post that there won't be colour option available.
    That doesn't sound good does it? Looks crummy on the website . I saw the brochure @ the dealer & the pic looked the same as what was printed in MBA. Maybe I'll see about getting the frame & swing arm repainted this winter.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hate the paint designs..... Every frame should come in flat black

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

The EX8 also comes in black/red

I work at a local bike shop here in Birmingham and we had a EX8 in a black/red combo that looks a lot like the EX9.5. I did one big double take when I saw it, as I thought it was the 9.5. I looked on Trek's dealer website while I was working and Trek lists the EX8 as coming in that khaki/white color along with the black. Only the black ones are in stock in the country so far, though. I will say that the bike looks pretty good overall - it even has the new XT shadow rd on it.

I was looking for any news on next year's top fuels as well and nothing is on the dealer website yet. I am currently riding a top fuel 8 and I really hope they come out with a TF9 for next year. I would like to see the component setup of the EX9 available on one of the aluminum framed top fuels. The TF 9.8 is just too big of a price jump for my budget.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adamb
    I work at a local bike shop here in Birmingham and we had a EX8 in a black/red combo that looks a lot like the EX9.5. I did one big double take when I saw it, as I thought it was the 9.5. I looked on Trek's dealer website while I was working and Trek lists the EX8 as coming in that khaki/white color along with the black. Only the black ones are in stock in the country so far, though.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed. Mine was to be shipped last Wednesday,
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    I'm considering this EX9:

This will be the last season on my 01 Ellsworth Truth and I need a replacement. All my components are XTR M900 so everything needs to go and getting another Ellsworth is going to be a real financial burden. I've had decent luck with Trek and I know I an get this bike under retail. What is with the colors though? Not a fan of White and there doesn't seem to be any other choice?? The bike looks good though. I noticed the 17.5 has a 23.3 inch top tube which is perfect for me. Anyone know what the stem length is?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Did you tested the EX8?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Did you tested the EX8?
    No I haven't why? It's been a while since I've owned a Trek Mountain Bike.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I'm glad Trek is finally stepping it up in the mountain bike line. I have been selling Treks for 4 years and was never a huge fan of the Fuels, but the 08s are really impressing me. They look great.

Any given singletrack!
    Does anyone understand that "virtual frame size" thing in brochure? Frame marked as 18,5" "virtual" has "actual" size 17,5". WTF are they complicating things? What number of these two is real life seat tube (center-top) lenght???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_dragon
    Does anyone understand that "virtual frame size" thing in brochure? Frame marked as 18,5" "virtual" has "actual" size 17,5". WTF are they complicating things? What number of these two is real life seat tube (center-top) lenght???
    According to the diagram on there the actual is the true center to top length. I'm a bit confused too since I'm comfortable with the 23.3 TT but I'm going to have a huge amount of seat post hanging out if that's the case. I'll have to really see what's up in person. I guess I could go 18.5 and put on a short stem eh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    well they did admit that they neglected the MTB market since the winning Lance era

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2008 Fuel EX color

Whats wrong with you people? Who cares if the bike is white, black, red....are you out there to ride or make a fashion statement??? IM just excited trek has a solid trail bike coming out. It can be purple for all i care- i cant wait to ride one!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PhosphoLipids
    Whats wrong with you people? Who cares if the bike is white, black, red....are you out there to ride or make a fashion statement??? IM just excited trek has a solid trail bike coming out. It can be purple for all i care- i cant wait to ride one!!!!
    would you buy one if it only came in hot pink? Colour choice is important to people. If it wasn't they would offer everything in a uniform colours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Geometry- As found on Treks Website

This should clear up the whole virtual sizing thing- found this on Treks site-

http://trekmountain.typepad.com/king...uel-ex-ge.html

mtbr member
    I´ve riden the new Fuel EX 8 and alos the new Fuel EX 9.5 here at the Demo Day in Switzerland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clemson
    I´ve riden the new Fuel EX 8 and alos the new Fuel EX 9.5 here at the Demo Day in Switzerland
    That's nice, how about some details?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow, Trek had a demo day in Switzerland? Sweet, anyway shed some light on the bikes pls

pat
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    May I know what are the differences between 2007 and 2008 EX 8, in particular the weight?

Am seriously considering buying an EX 8, and the great deal on the 2007 model was really tempting.

Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

07 fuel ex 5

Hello Guys, I am new at the sport and I got a fuel ex 5 and I love it but I have seen lots of bad comments about them.

Did I get the wrong bike??? please help

mtbr member
    Was told the EX9 is going to be $3100 retail and he gave me a price of $2700. Seems fair. Unfortunately. I'll need to get rid of the SRAM stuff.

catskillclimber
    Quote Originally Posted by tupapi77
    Hello Guys, I am new at the sport and I got a fuel ex 5 and I love it but I have seen lots of bad comments about them.

No. You got the right bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks cats, I feel better, the only thing I will change is the fork, I am looking at a fox vanilla 32 rlc

mtbr member
    Cool, got my geometry question answered already:

I'm more inclined to go with the 18.5 in this case since I like a larger frame. My Ellsworth has a 23.5" TT with a 130mm reach stem. It's set up for XC. If I had the 24" TT I could go to a 110mm stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Was this for an 07 or 08? I just called my dealer today (8/6) and was quoted $3410 for an 08 EX9 (18.5 inch).

Is Muddy
    I'll tell all of you now, my store just got in a 19.5" '08 EX-8 In the gloss black w/ red & white logo's. This bike is beautiful! I'm a stubborn mechanic and I hated Treks earlier today. I couldn't stand any Trek or anything made by Bontrager. Boy oh boy how my opinions have swayed. I've never been so impressed by a new bike in my life! The suspension design is the first truly "perfect" design I've used. I took this hotty for a spin in the parking lot and everything Trek claims is true. I'm currently posting a craigslist add for my Intense 5.5 EVP for $3499. Anyone interested? Guess which bike I'm buying next week, The EX-9.5 In the EX-8 paint job, special order! I'm swapping the Bonty components for Mavic Crossmax ST's, Continental Vertical UST's, and other goodies! Should weigh about 26.7lbs when finished LISTEN PEOPLE. NEED A NEW TRAIL BIKE? ONLY ONE YOU NEED = THE 2008 TREK FUEL. WOW, WOW, AND WOW!
    2007 Waltworks 29er,
    2007 Intense 5.5 EVP,
    2006 Specialized Langster,
    2002 Giant DH Comp,
    1993 KHS Montana Comp SS.

Is Muddy
    BTW: 2008 Trek Fuel EX-8 $2149.99 USD retail.
    2007 Waltworks 29er,
    2007 Intense 5.5 EVP,
    2002 Giant DH Comp,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjg
    Was this for an 07 or 08? I just called my dealer today (8/6) and was quoted $3410 for an 08 EX9 (18.5 inch).
    It was for the 08. I'll need to double check but since the 07 MSRP is $2750 I'm assuming this is correct. I was on the phone with him and he was checking on their dealer site. I'll double check for you. He will give me a good price since I can't even recall the number of bikes I've bought from him since 93.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Intense5point5
    BTW: 2008 Trek Fuel EX-8 $2149.99 USD retail.
    Can you check on the EX9 please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    From what Ive heard through the vine...08 EX weight is near the same as last year....BUT i hear the stiffness is greatly improved due to ABP and that 'evo' link...something like 30%---the 07 EX (my current daily ride) is pretty stiff already! the new evo link is welded together- the old version (07 and older) is bolted together - so that must be where that extra 30% stiffness is coming from.

Is Muddy
    Actually the Evo link is investment cast, not welded. The EX-8 and lower models come with aluminum rockers, while the EX-9 and higher comes with Magnesium rockers.

Edit: My bad, It is welded, not investment cast,
    Last edited by Intense5point5; 08-07-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    2007 Waltworks 29er,
    2007 Intense 5.5 EVP,
    2002 Giant DH Comp,

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well, it seems some riders who actually ride the new EX seems to be really happy bout it. Anyway from the pics I saw, I think the Aluminium link is not a single piece, i think the single piece on applies the magnesium link

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the heads up! They also quoted me around $2300 for the EX8 and I saw someone else on the list serve was around $2100. I am in central FL with some great trails and near year round riding so the dealrs always seem to want a premium. I often go out of state for my motorcycles buys so it looks like I will be doing the same for the new Trek if I can make it cost effective.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New Fuel EX9 or a new 2007 Stumpjumper Expert?

I was going to pick up a new 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert for $2900 from a local dealer, but based on the list serve, it sounds like paying a couple hundred bucks more for the new Trek Fuel EX9 is the way to go. I ride a L frame on the Stumpjumper so I am guessing the 18.5 is the way to go on the Trek (I am at 6'0").

Any advice for a beginner to intermediate level rider?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    anyone have any inside info on when the backordered ex9's will be getting into shops?

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by tupapi77

yes you got the wrong bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slip
    anyone have any inside info on when the backordered ex9's will be getting into shops?
    My shop has one coming in next week (17.5). However, when I had them check, the 18.5 inch frames are on BO with no release date given. I e-mailed Trek last night and am waiting for a response. I suspect they won't have a solid answer either. I asked them if I made a deposit today, how long would it be for a Ex9, 9.0 or 9.5 to be available in an 18.5. I'll post their response.

Student
    Awesome bike. Looks great.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Intense5point5
    Actually the Evo link is investment cast, not welded. The EX-8 and lower models come with aluminum rockers, while the EX-9 and higher comes with Magnesium rockers.
    No, its not cast. There are two links - an aluminum link thats forged and welded and a magnesium link thats made by some sort of new injection-molding process (EX 9.0 and 9.5) They had the bikes out in Boulder when I was there a few weeks back.

Is Muddy
    Thats right, my bad. The aluminum rocker is cast in two pieces and then welded around the center in one full bead. The magnesium rocker is also like this, only cast as one piece. I have no idea why I thought it was investment-forged, I must have a case of bike-tardation.
    2007 Waltworks 29er,
    2007 Intense 5.5 EVP,
    2002 Giant DH Comp,

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The SKU # for the Fuel EX 9 went into the computer today at Trek so dealers can place orders. I am # 15 on the list !!!!

mtbr member
    The SKU # for the Fuel EX 9 went into the computer today at Trek so dealers can place orders. I am # 15 on the list !!!!
    What is MSRP please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    $3399.99 for the EX 9...go to this link and you can see the MSRP at the bottom of the specs for each model...http://www2.trekbikes.com/fuelex/

mtbr member
    $3399.99 for the EX 9...go to this link and you can see the MSRP at the bottom of the specs for each model...http://www2.trekbikes.com/fuelex/
    Excellent, thanks. It looks like my LBS was quoting last years........

Found out today that I can trade in my 01 Truth frame for about $650 off a new Epiphany so I may lean that way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Good luck on the Epiphany! Any time you can get a trade in deal like it is hard not to bite. I got a dealer near me to sell me the 08 Fuel EX9 for $3100 and he is paying for express shipping when it is ready!

mtbr member
    Good luck on the Epiphany! Any time you can get a trade in deal like it is hard not to bite. I got a dealer near me to sell me the 08 Fuel EX9 for $3100 and he is paying for express shipping when it is ready!
    I figured @ $3000 out the door. That sounds like a fair deal. Good luck with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Wow, Trek had a demo day in Switzerland? Sweet, anyway shed some light on the bikes pls
    Yes the office for Germany, Austria and Switzerland is located near Zürich...so thats why there was a demo day in Switzerland.

Fat guy on a bike
    Any idea if the Recon on the 7 is an OEM model with no adjustable travel? I think rockshox is listing their 08 recon models all with UTurn.

mtbr member
    man I LOVE the color on the new EX8... damn, I should trade up over winter ...
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    I may be getting one of the new ones under a warrenty replacement, because my '05 EX7 frame cracked. I haven't spoken with them yet, they left a message yesterday on my phone, but they said it could be a while. They said that they were going to replace the front triangle. I assume that means they'll use on '07 frame, but I thought that had 120mm of travel instead of 100mm like my old one.

Wouldn't that mean they would have to replace the entire frame because the geometry would be different? Does anyone know if I can pay to "upgrade" to a Remedy frame?

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

Frame differences

What can anyone tell me about the Alpha Red Aluminum frame in the 08 Trek Fuel EXs? How is this different/similar to the ZR9000?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the R1i vs R1 suspensions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike
    What can anyone tell me about the Alpha Red Aluminum frame in the 08 Trek Fuel EXs? How is this different/similar to the ZR9000?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the R1i vs R1 suspensions? Thanks!
    Not sure about the Alpha Red Aluminum but the R1i is the new suspension. Not sure what the i is for; perhaps independent which describes the two independed linkages in the full floater shock design. Of course, the other aspect of the suspension is the active braking pivot which puts a pivot right on the rear axle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If im not mistaken Alpha Red is same as ZR9000, just renamed

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

new '08 EX 8

Just got this sweet EX 8 yesterday, very happy with the color, I hadn't seen this color choice and was stoked to get one in silver,black and red. Components are all LX apart from XT derailler. I was stunned about the made in Taiwan sticker!! one of the big reasons for going for the Trek was they were 'made in USA' the dealer was surprised too!! weight is around 26.5 with toe clips (waiting for new pedals) so that's pretty impressive. The model signage is on the rear suspension which makes me think they will keep the frame generic (is this cheap or what?) the frame in alpha red instead of ZR9000...is there a difference??

So what's it like...well I can't push the bike because there is a problem with the front brake mount (doesn't aline with fork mounting holes) so taking things easy, but from what I can tell it's pretty awesome even compared to last year's model which I test rode...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wow, made in Taiwan? Last year, wasn't everything up from like the 7 made in Waterloo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do they have to put "Made in Taiwan" on the head tube where everyone can see it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, I wonder that too, when my Giant Anthem first arrived, there is exactly the same sticker pasted at that position. Anyway enjoy your Trek Fuel EX8, tell us how it rides , and dang that weight is impressive

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Alpha Aluminum is just Treks alloy formula for 6061 Alumuninum that is butted---ZR 9000 is another Aluminum allow that has Zirconium in it to make it more stiff ...or something like that.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/flash_feat...pha/index.html

R1 is Rocker link shock actuation (optimized for leverage ratio), terrain specific geometry and proper main pivot location...ie I think they have the pivot set at a point so pedal-bob is minimzed depending on the type of riding...xc, trail, etc. R1i is supposed to be all that plus the new ABP and Full Floater suspension systems--

mtbr member
    Looks Great! Enjoy!

Just two questions...

Could you give more of an explantion on the brake alignment issue?
    What's with the tape on the brake side chainstay?

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    what's with the EX8's compared to the EX 7s? Which would be good for a first FS bike?

The trek site brochure does not even picture an EX 7? What gives? Anyone test ride the EX7?

BTW the tape is a chainstay protector, which prevents chain slap noise and markings on the frame.
    Last edited by mountain_bike; 08-14-2007 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Wow, made in Taiwan? Last year, wasn't everything up from like the 7 made in Waterloo?
    WTF! That's disappointing .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    that's what happens when customers pinch penny's. all the other major manufacturers have their bikes made overseas, so companies like Trek (that want to build in the US) can't compete on price anymore. It's sad, but can you really blame them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    about time trek step it up with thier mountain bikes they have fallen off with thier older bikes and were focusing on thier road bikes i think i may be back into trek once again

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ....I think they are back in the game-- they posted some cool tech about the new bikes on their blog here:

http://trekmountain.typepad.com/

...I want Chris Eatough's new EX! is that the same bike that he won the BC race with???

You got any chocolate?
    Seeing that "Made in Tawan" just didn't fly too well. It is what it is and I am sure the OP has a great bike that will give many miles of happiness, but the sticker on the head tube just kinda......sucks. And what exactly is Red Alpha Aluminum? Will their carbon Fuels be built overseas as well?
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Give me a break. Like you dont have 200 other things in your house Made in Taiwan...China...etc.

Im sure Trek just could no longer be competitive with specialized, giant, etc so they had to move more manufacturing overseas. Maybe if YOU werent such a stingy consumer this wouldnt have happened! Well, the 9.0 and 9.5 are still made in USA....with parts from China Taiwan Japan.....It doesnt matter anymore. What matters whether or not its a well designed and well performing bike...and Treks customers will decide that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Who cares if its made in Taiwan. Shimano is headquartered in Japan. Look at all the shimano parts on that bike. No one complains about that. There seems to be a sense of inferiority of overseas products. Well, if its anything like the car industry.....
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    08 Shimano XT pedals is made in Malaysia. Interesting, anyway whats the big deal about bikes made in Taiwan? Some riders make is such a big deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    Who cares if its made in Taiwan. Shimano is headquartered in Japan. Look at all the shimano parts on that bike. No one complains about that. There seems to be a sense of inferiority of overseas products. Well, if its anything like the car industry.....
    Japanese are known for their quality, so that shouldnt be a big deal. People that buy a Nissan or a Toyota want it to say Made in Japan on the doorjam. if it says Made in USA, they feel cheated :P

Made in Taiwan is no big deal for me... I really dont care as long as it works at or beyond expectations.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

Fat guy on a bike
    They make most the components in your computer in taiwan. Those are a lot more complicated than your bike frame. I am sure they can handle some aluminum and plastics quite well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Like many car manufacturers, I think Trek has gone global in getting many of their parts. It is my understanding that they still assemble the bikes in Waterloo. I agree, it is a huge disappointment! One of the reasons I chose the Trek was for the "made in the USA" sticker. It had better be a damn good bike when I get my 2008 Fuel EX 9!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree. However I just posted a note saying how dissappointed I was that the Treks have the Tawain sticker. I heard they are assembled in Waterloo. What's the difference between that and any car you would buy. So...you are right. It is not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    made in Taiwan, made in Malaysia is all the same, as long as they follow the correct standard's, and a lot of bikes nowadays are made in Taiwan, so the quality should be good. Nike clothes are made in Portugal or Peru and no one complains bout it. Some of my expensive shirts are made in China and Its quality is okay

mtbr member
    From the look of the box and labels on the box the bikes are made by Giant.

You got any chocolate?
    Give me a break. Like you dont have 200 other things in your house Made in Taiwan...China...etc.

Im sure Trek just could no longer be competitive with specialized, giant, etc so they had to move more manufacturing overseas. Maybe if YOU werent such a stingy consumer this wouldnt have happened! Well, the 9.0 and 9.5 are still made in USA....with parts from China Taiwan Japan.....It doesnt matter anymore. What matters whether or not its a well designed and well performing bike...and Treks customers will decide that.
    Yes, you are correct. Because of me and every other person on this thread that expressed some level of dismay in seeing a "Made in Taiwan" sticker on one of Trek's high end full suspension mountain bikes, we are the reason Trek moved some of its frame building operations overseas. How shameful of us!!! Cheaper labor costs which may result in a higher profit margin for the Trek corporation had absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    OK, let's get back on track now and talk about something that matters...

Any ride reports from new EX owners? How are they?

mtbr member
    Many people, myself included appreciated the fact that Trek made their high end stuff here, it set them apart. Now, they're like everone else. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but in my mind they lost a little of what made them different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They still make their high end stuff here - their carbon road and mountain bikes. I don't think it's an issue of Trek being greedy like some people say, it's more an issue of being competitive. Who are Trek's competitors? Giant, Specialized, maybe Canondale? Except for C-dale, all of their bikes are made overseas. If Trek can't make the same amount from their bikes as their competitors, then they are at a disadvantage and will not be able to reinvest in R&D in the future, and fall further behind. Maybe the new technology is to blame for them moving more production overseas. They have to cover their investment costs somehow. I hate to say it, but the welders in Taiwan are probably just as competent as ones in the US. They've been making frames over there for 20+ years and probably know a thing or two about manufacturing.

mtbr member

What is the issue with Taiwan?

Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    They still make their high end stuff here - their carbon road and mountain bikes. I don't think it's an issue of Trek being greedy like some people say, it's more an issue of being competitive. Who are Trek's competitors? Giant, Specialized, maybe Canondale? Except for C-dale, all of their bikes are made overseas. If Trek can't make the same amount from their bikes as their competitors, then they are at a disadvantage and will not be able to reinvest in R&D in the future, and fall further behind. Maybe the new technology is to blame for them moving more production overseas. They have to cover their investment costs somehow. I hate to say it, but the welders in Taiwan are probably just as competent as ones in the US. They've been making frames over there for 20+ years and probably know a thing or two about manufacturing.
    The merida plant in Taiwan will kick the Trek waterloo, wi plant's a$$ by a century...

It is not cheap labor, it is almost no labor. The taiwan plants are super high tech. More efficient and higher quality.

So I do not think made in USA has the same Value as it did in the 90's early 00's

If you guys are looking for boutique bikes then it is time to move from the treks, specialized, and giants. Taiwan also make some boutique bikes like Yeti. China makes most of the carbon fiber stuff and a boat load of catalog frames that companies buy super cheap, badge and sell to you (KHS, Raleigh, lower end treks, Fuji, etc.)

I still have my 1999 Trek 930 frame (Triple butted OX steel tubbing). Made in USA
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well, you cant expect Trek to stay the way they are and improves. As you can see, this year components spec on the Fuel EX is better and its prices are way way better then Spesh. Fuel EX 9.0 costs 4400 while Stumpy Pro Carbon costs 5700 while the aluminium costs 4600. Yes, it saddens some riders that their bikes are not made in the USA anymore but you guys should also think that, the bikes are now better value for money. I have observed Trek for about 3 years already and this year bikes component spec are much better then last years. Last time I considered Trek as a company that sells expensive bikes spec'd with cheap components (compare to its competitors) but now I take back what I said.

You got any chocolate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    Many people, myself included appreciated the fact that Trek made their high end stuff here, it set them apart. Now, they're like everone else. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but in my mind they lost a little of what made them different.
    Tinshield hit the nail on the head. It is what set Trek apart from the others. But in the end, as long as Trek still stands behind its product with excellent customer service and the consumer is happy with the product, then that is what matters most. I do agree with Tinshield in that they did lose a little of what made them different.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nowadays i really don't think there ends up being much of a difference with bikes manufactured in Taiwan versus the US. However, there have been issues with Quality Control when companies move manufacturing out of house. Yeti for example had an issue with this not too long ago. With that being said, i dont think its anything to worry about with trek, but i tend to agree with those that said it set trek apart by keeping their higher end stuff manufactured in waterloo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

08 frame size vs. 05 frame size

This should clear up the whole virtual sizing thing- found this on Treks site-

My 05 Ex8 was stolen a week ago and now I'm about to get an 08 Ex8 but the problem is that they're not in stores here yet so there's no way to test one. And since I don't have my 05 bike to compare the measures to I'm not sure which size to get to replace the 19.5" 05 model. (I'm 5'10 and 161 lb myself)

JooM

Ride Everything
    I just bought an 07 Fuel EX 7 on closeout. Fit great, rode great, and the price was right. The fact that the frame was made in the US was merely icing on the cake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I got the 08 EX8 17.5 frame size, I am 5' 10" 32" insem. and the bike is great it does anything trek said it would do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JooM
    My 05 Ex8 was stolen a week ago and now I'm about to get an 08 Ex8 but the problem is that they're not in stores here yet so there's no way to test one. And since I don't have my 05 bike to compare the measures to I'm not sure which size to get to replace the 19.5" 05 model. (I'm 5'10 and 161 lb myself)
    JooM
    Got to treks website and email customer service asking for the geometry of the 2005 Ex8. They usually respond pretty quickly. That way you can compare the sizes. My guess is you could be either a medium or a large depending on inseam, leg length etc. It is always better to ride a bike you are thinking about buying though. You could also get a great deal on a 2007 model now if you could find one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    Got to treks website and email customer service asking for the geometry of the 2005 Ex8. They usually respond pretty quickly. That way you can compare the sizes. My guess is you could be either a medium or a large depending on inseam, leg length etc. It is always better to ride a bike you are thinking about buying though. You could also get a great deal on a 2007 model now if you could find one.
    Thanks for the tip. Was looking for 2007 models but it's getting too late in the season and they are pretty much sold out everywhere (atleast in the Helsinki area). Anyway, as the bike was insured I might as well go for the latest model. I've ridden the 07 model as well so I have a fairly good idea what I'm in for.

SS Pusher Man
    My shop has one coming in next week (17.5). However, when I had them check, the 18.5 inch frames are on BO with no release date given. I e-mailed Trek last night and am waiting for a response. I suspect they won't have a solid answer either. I asked them if I made a deposit today, how long would it be for a Ex9, 9.0 or 9.5 to be available in an 18.5. I'll post their response.

Per our price sheet.....it shows Ex 9's available in December.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    good luck mate
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

JooM

Unless you have long legs I think a 19.5 might be a bit big. The '08 ex has an additional inch of travel compared to your '05, which might make the bike feel just a touch taller. On the other hand, the top tube on the '07 and '08 ex's has been lowered a descent amount compared to '05. Reach should be the same from '05 to '08.

I'm 5'10ish and until now have been riding a 17.5". I find the new 18.5" size fits me best. Of course it all depends on your body proportions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the tip. Was looking for 2007 models but it's getting too late in the season and they are pretty much sold out everywhere (atleast in the Helsinki area). Anyway, as the bike was insured I might as well go for the latest model. I've ridden the 07 model as well so I have a fairly good idea what I'm in for.
    Yes, you defintely want the '08.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    So how does the new EX ride?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0