Thread: 08 Top Fuel ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

08 Top Fuel ?

I am wondering if there are any news on the 08 Top Fuel.

The 08 EX looks good, but I am more into CC.

Are they going to implement similar changes on the Top Fuel for 08, or just change the colour scheme?

Was that a Bobcat?
    You can see information and the 08 lineup at the below link. I think that the 08 EX would still be very nice for CC and then some. All in all the EX looks like an awesome bike.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/fuelex/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree that the EX looks very tempting. I do think about it.

But my doubts are really about its climbing ability compared to Top Fuel. So far my understanding was that the Top Fuel line is better for climbing (and hence for CC) and the EX for descending - though there is clearly an overlap between the two.

Unfortunately I could not find too many people who have ridden both, and since I live in Central Europe, there are no dealers where I could take out both for a spin.

Anybody with experience on both?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am also looking foward to know something about the '08 top fuel bikes, to see if some of the tech. evolutions used on the Fuel EX line will be applied to the Top Fuel, but haven't found anything yet.

All i saw was a Top fuel 69er, and it looks pretty much the same (on the frame) except for an Fox shock, the rockerlink is the same used on last years top fuel.

Let's wait and see what they have prepared.

Alex99, i haven't rode(or is it ridden?) one of this new Fuel Ex, or top fuel, i own a 2004 Liquid 55, and i've rode/ridden a couple of old Fuels.

Even with the diferences between my liquid 55, and the fuel ex, both have 120mm travel, and for my kind of ridding i've came to the conclusion it's too much, i've bought a Fox talas for my Liquid so i can tune the travel on the front wheel and do steep climbs without the front wheel lifting all the time, there for, despite of all the changes in frame architecture and tech used, i believe the top fuel has the right amount of travel for me, rather than the fuel ex.

So, from my point of view it's essentially about the amount of travel you have on your fork/shock.

Don't complain about living in Central Europe, i live in the tail of Europe (Portugal) and if there weren't my friends bicycles i hadn't much of the chance to try these bikes :P

Sorry for my lousy english

Happy rides for everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I know a little

I have heard a little about the 08 Top Fuel.(I am a pro racer in Minnesota and Treks are manufactured ~4 hours from here so we get the inside scoop=)

1. They fixed the breakage issues with the main pivot on the 07's. I actually am now riding and 08 front triangle because mine broke. They pivot has been beefed up significantly but the frame only weighs 10 grams more. That's cool!

2. They are not changing the suspension to be like the fuel ex. With 90 mm of rear travel this is not necessary and adds weight. The top fuel is all about racing.

3. They may update the rocker line to be the cast version like the fuel ex.

4. The fork and shock will be rock shox or Fox....not manitou. If I had to guess, it will be an RP23/F100 RLC combo or a Reba WC/ Monarch combo. I assume it will still be full XTR and at lest the team one (9.9) will likely remain red.

You got any chocolate?
    Thanks for the update and best of luck with the remainder of the race season.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I saw the catalog today

Top Fuel 9.9 highlights (as of the first catalog)
    Suspension = Reba WC and Fox RP23
    Frame = exact same as 07 (w/ fixes for breaking); rocker line was same as well.
    Color = Red/White or Black (looks like Fuel ex)
    Crankset = bontrager race x lite (this is the only real bummer, the XTR is superior imo)
    Other components: XTR

From what I could tell there is no Top Fuel SL offering next year.

The bike will weight about 23lbs w/o pedals.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    According to the dealer info, it looks like there will be a Top Fuel 9.9 SSL.... Whatever that means. I don't have specs, just a name and a color - Onyx Carbon.

While I'm thinking about it, I've got a pic of the 08 Top Fuel 8
    Attachment 288283

Looks like the same design. Cool colors.
    Last edited by Thirdrawn; 08-25-2007 at 11:26 AM.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Clarification

Top Fuel 9.9 = Top Fuel 9.9 SSL (They just added the SSL to the name)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No its not the same---they had the madone SSL last year...They used lighter carbon material and the drilled out some of the aluminum parts to make them lighter...so its like a limited run race bike. I would assume the same for the Top Fuel SSL.-same frame even lighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PhosphoLipids
    No its not the same---they had the madone SSL last year...They used lighter carbon material and the drilled out some of the aluminum parts to make them lighter...so its like a limited run race bike. I would assume the same for the Top Fuel SSL.-same frame even lighter.
    I have the '08 9.9 frame. It weighs 10 grams more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    bjmoore1, can you get us a picture? I'm curious about it.
    Btw, what's the front derraileur cable route on the frame? under the downtube or under the top tube ?

You got any chocolate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludos
    bjmoore1, can you get us a picture? I'm curious about it.
    Btw, what's the front derraileur cable route on the frame? under the downtube or under the top tube ?
    Trek website has all of the 2008 Top Fuels on there. You can compare three bikes to one another.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I have ridden Both of Last Years, If That Helps Any

Quote Originally Posted by Alex99
    I agree that the EX looks very tempting. I do think about it.

But my doubts are really about its climbing ability compared to Top Fuel. So far my understanding was that the Top Fuel line is better for climbing (and hence for CC) and the EX for descending - though there is clearly an overlap between the two.

Unfortunately I could not find too many people who have ridden both, and since I live in Central Europe, there are no dealers where I could take out both for a spin.

Anybody with experience on both?
    I tested the 2007 ex specifically looking at the the stiffness of the new alum rear triangle and bearings in the main pivot. (I own a 2005 Top Fuel and was interested if it would be be stiff enough climbing.)
    So, I locked it out (front fork locked, no rebound with min sag and max platform on the rp3) and big ringed it around on pavement climbs to see. IMHO, it was very close to as stiff as my top fuel, but with 130 mm travel.
    For 2008 they went for more stiff rear triangle rigidity in the 2008s because of the redesign of the rocker arm, not to mention the improvments in suspension design with abp.
    I would not go with the dated Top Fuel design, the fuel EX climbs just fine. (If you are that concerned with stiff rear end get a 29er hard tale for short track and the fuel ex for everthing else.)
    Note: Also testing the Scott Spark with the same thing in mind and that led me to the conclusion that it climbed stiffer than ethier of the fuels! Though some concern about durablity. (I did not think that a 3.85 lb 110 mm travel all carbon frame could be that flex free but it climbed like my old OCLV Trek hard tail.)