Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A Guy Who is Going Places

'08 Fuel EX 9.5 test ride

I took one of these out for a spin on a favorite local trail. It is a nice bike. Historically, I haven't been exactly enamored of Trek's MTB suspension, as my tastes run towards a more plush ride. Last year's Fuel EX update pushed the platform in the right direction, and the '08 evolution furthers that trend. All in all the big carbon Trek seems to be a very well mannered trail bike. The suspension performed well. Climbing was as it should have been on a 24.5 pound all carbon bike, but the descending was the true joy. And the Active Braking Pivot lived up to its promise. It really did seem to help keep the back end on the trail on rough, chattery descents.

http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

Fat guy on a bike
    I'm probably picking up one of these in an aluminum version if they put one specced out in the same price range as the current EX8 or 7.

Come august i will be pestering my local shop heh.

Fat guy on a bike
    stupid frozen browser

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    beautifull, simply beautifull. The 08 line is already available on the market? How come Trek havent update their website yet?

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    beautifull, simply beautifull. The 08 line is already available on the market? How come Trek havent update their website yet?
    Not yet available. I just happen to know some guys who know some guys and one sort of fell out of a truck early-like.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Anthony - What did you think of the "plushness" of the suspension. A new chnge was made for 08 which is supposed to make the travel more even and less harsh. What do you think?

bi-winning
    it looks pretty.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    IT looks gorgeous...I wish I could get one...ahhh....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    I'm probably picking up one of these in an aluminum version if they put one specced out in the same price range as the current EX8 or 7.

Come august i will be pestering my local shop heh.

I was at my LBS yesterday and saw the brochure for the 08 EX line. The bikes listed in the brochure (and therefore, I'd assume the bikes receiving the new design) were the EX 9.5, 9.0 and the EX 8. I read some info earlier that indicated there would be two carbon versions and one aluminum. This would seem to confirm that and also the possibility that they've done away with the EX 9 (top aluminum version).

As for arrival dates, they didn't seem to have much of an indication... could be August, could be October. They also thought the EX 8 price should come in close to the 2007 price but from my perspective, that's a wait and see also. Given that the EX 9 might no longer be available, the 8 may come in at a middle of the road set-up and price (between the 8 and 9 of last year).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19
    I was at my LBS yesterday and saw the brochure for the 08 EX line. The bikes listed in the brochure (and therefore, I'd assume the bikes receiving the new design) were the EX 9.5, 9.0 and the EX 8. I read some info earlier that indicated there would be two carbon versions and one aluminum. This would seem to confirm that and also the possibility that they've done away with the EX 9 (top aluminum version).

As for arrival dates, they didn't seem to have much of an indication... could be August, could be October. They also thought the EX 8 price should come in close to the 2007 price but from my perspective, that's a wait and see also. Given that the EX 9 might no longer be available, the 8 may come in at a middle of the road set-up and price (between the 8 and 9 of last year).
    The current edition of Mountain Bike Action Magazine says the 2008 line will be available in August/2007.

And if you look at the price drops on the 2007 Trek bikes, I guess that they are right. They even suggest that you don't spend your money on the 2007, since the 2008 is much better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I e-mailed Trek last week. I want to order an 08 ex 9.0. I was told that the bikes are available, but there is a waiting list, so order now. He could not give me an ETA. The bikes should trickle into the bike shops in Aug and Sept.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would like to order an 08 9.0, but with the 07 at 2,500 dollars, I think that I willsave some money and get the old version, regardless of the changes in the suspension.
    Oh well, I don't know.

mtbr member
    The rear tire looks like its on backwards... :P
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jns2001
    I would like to order an 08 9.0, but with the 07 at 2,500 dollars, I think that I willsave some money and get the old version, regardless of the changes in the suspension.
    is this just if the LBS has one left on the floor? or can shops get the 07's from trek for that price?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What size is this in the picture? XL is my guess......

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slip
    is this just if the LBS has one left on the floor? or can shops get the 07's from trek for that price?
    I really don't know.I called them here in Dallas and the person gave me the price by phone. I am planning to pick it on the 25th, since I am on vacations for 5 days...

Fat guy on a bike
    Well, there really wasn't much difference between ex8 and 9 except Talas fork and race lite/sram components.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your LBS may be able to order an 07 from Trek (depending on availability). My LBS told me that I can still order an 07 Madone even though the 08s are already in the shops.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    I took one of these out for a spin on a favorite local trail. It is a nice bike. Historically, I haven't been exactly enamored of Trek's MTB suspension, as my tastes run towards a more plush ride. Last year's Fuel EX update pushed the platform in the right direction, and the '08 evolution furthers that trend. All in all the big carbon Trek seems to be a very well mannered trail bike. The suspension performed well. Climbing was as it should have been on a 24.5 pound all carbon bike, but the descending was the true joy. And the Active Braking Pivot lived up to its promise. It really did seem to help keep the back end on the trail on rough, chattery descents.

Did you notice any significant amount of frame flex in the top tube? The '07 9.5 seemed very flexy in a 19.5" Just curious as to whether they made it stiffer or not.

mtnbikej

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    I was trying to order a '07 EX7, but they couldn't get 1 in my size. I saw the other '08 thread, so I'll be getting a '08 EX8.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    so, anthonys - do you have any info on when the 08's will be available? the internets all seem to say august, but the trek rep for my lbs is suggesting mid september.

Fat guy on a bike
    My dealer said he is going to a Trek event in mid August, and will be bringing back demo bikes. I imagine they will be available after that.

mtbr member
    Looks like I was off by a bit. The lower end carbon version is not going to be the 9.0 anymore. It's going to be a 9 so the line up with the new suspension design will consist of the 9.5, 9, and 8, first two of which are carbon frames.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19
    Looks like I was off by a bit. The lower end carbon version is not going to be the 9.0 anymore. It's going to be a 9 so the line up with the new suspension design will consist of the 9.5, 9, and 8, first two of which are carbon frames.
    i don't think that is true. i've already got money down on the ex9 and it is still the top-end of the aluminum. the price did jump about $500, but it has a nicer spec than the 2007.

as far as i know, they will still have the full line-up, not just the three bikes that were in the pre-release brochure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i was at my lbs and they had the new EX 8 in and another bike called a EX 5.5 (which i was told was kind of spec'd between the old ex5 and ex 6.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast