mtbr member
    May 2007

07 TREK 4300 DISC...Opinion?

Ok I just bought a 2007 4300 disc because trek was sold out of the 6000s for this year completely. However...I upgraded the front and rear derailleurs to DEOREs and I upgraded the RST stock shock to a ROCK SHOX DART 3. Will this bike be good for semi-rough to rough trails?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile

Both are good bikes , I bought a month ago the Trek 6000 for myself, and for my wife Trek 4300 Disc ...and we are very happy with those bikes.

My friend have a Trek 4300 V-brakes and he ride with me some hard, rough trails...he didn't upgrade his bike and he is very happy with it.

By the way the difference between frames of Trek 6000 and Trek 4300 is that the T4300 is only 50g heavier then 6000..this is what I've read.

I've read that chain upgrade in both bikes is a good idea ( and not expensive).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks man i appreciate it...what do you think of the upgrades i made?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdshrout
    thanks man i appreciate it...what do you think of the upgrades i made?

You need to know I'm a newbie....bought first 2 MTB a month ago ( for my wife and for myself ).....but I'm not afraid to ride some hard trails.....and I don't have a problems with my bike ( no upgrades) as my friend which bought his Trek 4300 V-brakes last year...

What I find out is that Trek 4300 and Trek 6000 have a good frames....that mean I will not going to buy new bike in a long time, for the rest ....what I like to do is save money and upgrade to really good components.....right now I would like to upgrade my fork ( Rock Shox dart 1)....but I prefer wait little longer and buy something better then I can afford right now.

To be honest I think you should do the same, upgrades from one cheap part to another cheap part does not make sense to me.

Little patience and next year you will have really good bike, look - you can save some money, and we all have some opportunity to get some nice components i.e birthday, Christmas etc.

Right now learn and enjoy your ride - that is the best advice which I got from this great forum

Your bike is for sure enough for beginner....again wait and save some money , when you go deeper in the sport-hobby you will buy better parts.Or better, different bike

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdshrout
    Ok I just bought a 2007 4300 disc because trek was sold out of the 6000s for this year completely. However...I upgraded the front and rear derailleurs to DEOREs and I upgraded the RST stock shock to a ROCK SHOX DART 3. Will this bike be good for semi-rough to rough trails?
    I'll tell you what I tell everyone who gets mech disc brakes. Invest in some high quality brake cables like some Jagwire Ripcords or Avid Flak Jackets. You'll get more out of the brakes with a lubed and pre-stretched cable.

From what I've read, I'd just leave the bike as you have it and not worry about any more upgrades. Maybe if you really got a bug for upgrading, invest in a set of wheels that would be nicer than the set on the next bike you plan on getting. That way, if/when you get a new bike, you can switch 'em over and already be one upgrade ahead on the new bike.

Have fun
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The bike should take a beating. I have a 2006 4500 with about 450 miles on it and it's held up very very well. Haven't broken anything yet (knock on wood!) I've taken it on some really nasty trails. It is my first bike and i've definitely beaten it up. I've fliped it, dropped it, crashed it and put it through much abuse and although it's all scratched up, it still rides as good as the first day. Ride it and have fun with it before putting any money into it. See if you like the sport first. I've just bought my first upgrades after a year, a new fork and disc brakes and am looking forward to the next 500 miles with the bike.

NMBP/OMBA crew!
    i have a 4300 vbrake and i love the crap outta it. im upgrading components as money allows. i may eventually get a 6000 someday because of the geometry, but for now the 4300 is awesome. ive ripped some wicked trails on it and it holds up like a champ. still has the rst fork and its workin as advertised.
    http://ocalabicyclecenter.com/

Rubber side down is good for me

mtbr member
    I've got a 4300 disc and love it as well. I'm a big time newbie. I've had the bike over a year, and have only had on the trails a couple times. I would love to get out on them more, but it's hard to make the time with the kid and all. I do take it out on the street every day for excercise. I'll probably keep it for a long time, and only upgrade as needed, as I'm sure I don't have the time to beat it up too bad. But when/if I do upgrade, fork will be the first thing to go. Not that it's all that bad, but could definitely use an upgrade.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.