mtbr member
    Nov 2006

07 Top Fuel Carbon Failure

Just curious if anyone out there has had issues with frame breakage on the '07 top fuels ?

I Know the old models are rock solid as I ride with a couple guys much heavier then I am and they have not broken the carbon in the 3+ years they've been riding.

I've had two break and while Trek has been absolutely fantastic at gettting another frame to me in less then two weeks, the thing has still been in the mail more then the trail... I'm wondering if there's an overall issue with the 07's or I just had two lemons ?

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    I guess nobody else has had the same problem....

Did you break a third, or did you indeed get 2 lemons?

Do you recommend the Top Fuel as a consideration, bottom line?

Sean

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I broke a 3rd. 34 minutes of ride time. The upside is that Trek backed their product, I now have a GaryFisher Pro-Caliber, built up to about 2 lbs heavier then the TopFuel was. I actually like the ProCal better fit/ride position wise, so for me it was a huge pain in the arse, that eventually worked out in my favor: both bike fit and $$ wise. Kudo's to the guys at my LBS who went way, way way over the top out of their way for me. I highly recommend The Bicycle Chain in Raleigh, Don't recommend the carbon '07 TopFuels, but would not hesitate to buy another Trek, because I know if it breaks they'll make it right and then some.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Dave, out of curiousity, how much do you weigh, and what were you doing when the frame broke? I broke the driveside pivot bolt on my Procaliber while I was powering out of a turn. I weigh 160 lbs. Fisher took care of it and I haven't had any issues since, so I'm hoping it was just a defective bolt. I ride XC trails, no major drops of anything beyond the capability of the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I"m somewhere between 160 & 165 lbs (body weight, not counting camelback etc). Two of the three breaks i was powering into a steep climb (two separate hills, but nearly identical scenario)... pretty well spun out in 2:3 seated, front tire was just starting up the hill while the back tire still on the flat, or maybe the compression that happend as the back started the hill ... Honestly I would expect my road bike to make this climb w/out snapping the seat tube... The seat tube snapped in two in a major way (the bike was unrideable). The 3rd one was odd, in my mind... On the top tube there was a crack going along the length on top of the tube. I actually raced with it like that and it didn't fail ??

I am an agressive XC, but no DH/FR stunts were done on the TopFuel. Let me put it another way, I knew this bike was a race bike not an All mountain bike and rode it as such.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.mountainbiker
    ... The 3rd one was odd, in my mind... On the top tube there was a crack going along the length on top of the tube. I actually raced with it like that and it didn't fail ??
    My 2007 Carbon Fuel Ex 9.5 did exactly the same thing - basicly a straight line split running along the top tube. I only noticed it because I thought it was a scratch. Had the guys at my LBS perplexed because they didn't figure that was a high load area. It was replaced under warranty but it took seven weeks - that's the problem when you live on the other side of the world from Wisconsin.

HillBilly.