mtbr member

'07 Hoo Koo E Koo

I am about to buy a new bike and the hoo koo is one of my final choices. Anyone out there ride one? Any info./reviews of this bike would be greatly appreciated. Any upgrades I should plan on making right away?

I ride weekly in New England(trails are singletrack and logging roads with roots and rocks, lots of climbing) I'd like to get into some racing as well. Is this the right bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Smile Go for it

I have an '06 HKEK and I love it.

I have had 2 problems, though: With less than 400 miles on it, the fork (Tora 318, pretty sure it changed on the '07, though) started to make a knocking sound. Less than a year old so it was covered under warranty, some seal went bad.

Other problem was that around 425 miles I put a new chain on it and it slipped all over on the small cog of the cassette, which upon further inspection was so badly worn it had to be replaced. Seemed like bull crap to me that the cassette on an $1100 bike only made it one season, not even 500 miles, but whatever. I do stand and hammer up climbs w/ the clipless pedals rather than sit and spin, which has to be harder on the drivetrain. I'm trying a Shimano cassette instead and will see how it compares.

I wish the bike was lighter, would have thought a hard tail at this price point would weigh less, but maybe that's unreasonable and I have no idea how it compares weight-wise to similarly priced/spec'd bikes, maybe it's actually light for the category. Everything's still stock but if I make upgrades the wheels and tires will be the first to go for shaving weight.

I love the Genesis Geo and people who complain about the saddle don't ride enough. I know everyone's keester is different, but come on, it's a bike saddle not a lazy boy.

Overall, I can't believe how much better the bike rides, feels and handles than my old bike. Join me in the HKEK fan club by buying it

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I just got back from my LBS and ordered my new HKEK. I should have it in my hands next week. I hate waiting! They did change the fork on the '07 to a Manitou Sliver Super(100mm w/lockout). Im sure it will be lighter than my '97 GF Aquilla! Can't wait to get riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What size are you buying? What was the approximate ETA? If yo don't mind where are you located? My LBS has nothing in my size from Trek/Gary Fisher and does not anticipate being able to get anything until early to mid May, optimistically. I am contemplating forwarding the cash to a friend in Anycity, USA, and having them box and ship a bike to me if I can find my size in stock. I am looking for a 21" - 22" Trek 6500, GF Cobia, or GF HKEK (in order of desire) at a good price since I will have to have it shipped. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    I am getting the 19.5" HKEK. The LBS where I ordered it from is in Portland, ME. They gave me an ETA of 1 week. According to their computer the bike was in stock at a warehouse in Jersey. No Trek product at this LBS but they did have the Cobia on the floor and of course the HKEK was ordered. www.gorhambike.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the tip.