mtbr member
    Mar 2007

07 Fuel EX 8 weight?

Well i am looking into getting a 07 Fuel EX 8 for 1700. I was wondering what the exact weight for it (for a large).

Also what are the first mods (for losing some weight or more reliability) for the bike that everyone is doing?

-I have heard that there have been some issues with the stock headset...any comment on that??

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Mine weighs in at just under 28lbs (I think, it might be 27, haven't thought about it in a while - it's at the shop so I'll weigh it tomorrow and repost). I swapped out the LX cranks for some Stylos - not sure why, I just had a new set lying around. I know of people swapping out the shifters from Deores to LX for smoother shifting - I haven't had any issue with mine so I haven't bothered with an upgrade. It won't come with the tubeless rimstrip (mine didn't, anyway) but once you get that installed, it's great. No problems at all with my headset - I haven't even heard of anybody complaining about that. There have been some issues with the saddle but it hasn't bothered me enough to swap it out. I like the tires - your trails/terrain may require something different, but I like mine.

You could save some weight by upgrading the wheelset. The Bonty Race set weighs over 1800g. The reason I haven't upgraded mine is because I've raced it, dropped it, jumped it, and thoroughly ridden it and have yet to turn a spoke - 'course, I'm not exactly a clydesdale. I tossed some Eggbeaters on to replace the 540s - not that I dislike SPDs, I just wanted to try some Eggbeaters.

Really, it's a great bike. I don't recall any negative responses. The stock shift housing isn't too great but it's still going. For 1700 that bike is a steal, buy it. Buy it right now.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I purchased a medium 07 EX 8 in January. Its a great bike. Climbs well, descends well. Out of the box, the bike weighed around 28.5 pounds or so. The best way to lose weight is to upgrade your wheels. I upgraded to Bontrager Race X Lite wheels and run tubeless tires. My LBS gave me a credit on the stock wheels, so the cost to upgrade the wheels was not too exorbitant. I upgraded the bar to a Bontrager Race XXX Lite carbon and a Bontrager XXX Lite carbon seat post. I also upgraded the shifters from Deore to LX. I later upgraded the rear shock to a Fox RP23 and the cranks to XT. The bike weighs just over 27 pounds and handles great for a 5" bike. It has made me a better rider and is a blast to ride. My advice: just enjoy the bike stock and upgrade to trim weight (wheels, cranks, brakes, bar, seatpost, saddle) when you can afford to or when the parts wear out. My only concern regarding reliability was the Deore shifters. For just a little more $, I swapped out for LX which is only one step up but they look nice and are bulletproof. I have not had any issues with the headseat, but may upgrade to CK just for the bling.,

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    29 pounds the 2011 version with full shimano xt group