Fat guy on a bike

07 Feul Ex 7 owners

Alright, sell me on this bike, or steer me away if thats your inclination.

It seems all the reviews on the main area are for older model years and the bike has changed a lot. The mags i have read seem to like it but i haven't found an in depth review. I think its specced great at a decent price. It looks cool to boot. I haven't found one at a dealer to test so...

Any input? Thanks.

Fat guy on a bike
    No one?

mtbr member
    I just bought an EX 8 which is kinda of comparable I guess.

Different Shock up front, different wheel set, different BB.

I really like mine, the geometry works for me. I find that it wants to wheelie on steep uphills but I've been able to get that under control by adjusting my body position.

What are you riding now?

mtbr member
    the frame is great. the components are good, but on the Ex8, the components are better and the value goes up even more. i got mine for $1900, so shop around. so, idk how the Ex7 suspension is, but the Ex8 is awesome.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

Fat guy on a bike
    I suppose that at 1900 a ex8 is a much better deal. I was quoted 1700 for an ex7.

I like the Recon fork and rockshox in general. The recon looks a little beefier (heavier) which is a good thing for me.

I don't know how much of a difference there is in the wheelset. both are bontrager and i would probably swap them out anyways.

Crank is a good upgrade with lx compared to deore. However i am probably swapping it out for a raceface evolve dh on the EX7, if that were the case.

Xt vs Xtr Rear derailleur. Well, xtr is top of the line, and probably counts for much of the price increase

So honestly looks like the EX8 is mostly lighter, with some better components, but might not be worth the extra $ unless its a good deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    So honestly looks like the EX8 is mostly lighter, with some better components, but might not be worth the extra $ unless its a good deal.
    EX7 and up uses the same frame as the others, so the primary differences on the bikes between EX7 and EX9 is just componentry and what is lighter. The primary differences on the 8 vs 9 are just Bonty Race LITE components, not just Race, and a few other things like a Talas fork, and Juicy 7's vs 5's. So if you are planning on upgrading anyways, I say definitely get the EX7 cause the frame itself is still just as good.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I love my EX7. It retails for $1800 but I only paid $1400 for mine. I've only ridden a couple times because I just got it this week. I'm taking it down the roughest single track at Berry College today, I'm sure it will hold up perfectly. Just hope the guy riding with me on his EX5 can keep up...

mtbr member
    What size are the people riding this frame and what type of riding are you doing?

I've really been thinking of picking up an EX-08 but would need an XL. Just wondering if this would be a tough enough bike for 6'3", 230 lbs doing mostly XC but taking the occasional 2' drop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Steamer19:

I'm about 285lbs and have an '07 EX8. So far, it's handled everything I've taken it on. And although most of the trails our group rides around here (Silicon Valley Area) are fire roads and single track, the EX8 has performed brilliantly. But for yourself, give it a test ride if you haven't done that yet. That would be the best thing to do...

As for the drops, I can't comment on that just yet. But I'm sure 2-footers would be no problem, unless someone else would like to chime in...

Fat guy on a bike
    Hey my thread woke up a little bit

I will probably be demo'ing a EX8 later on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    Hey my thread woke up a little bit

I will probably be demo'ing a EX8 later on.
    I am picking up my 2007 EX8 hopefully this weekend, it wasnt ready last weekend and I havent had time through the week, but I was very impressed with the initial feel of the bike, the components for the $.. its really nice. So chalk up another Fuel EX series owner
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Congrats!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the club. You will love it. Its a great bike. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FisherCraig
    I am picking up my 2007 EX8 hopefully this weekend, it wasnt ready last weekend and I havent had time through the week, but I was very impressed with the initial feel of the bike, the components for the $.. its really nice. So chalk up another Fuel EX series owner
    Well done mate, I think you'll be quite happy with that purchase!