mtbr member
    Jan 2004

04 Palomino V frame the same as others?

Is the 2004 Palomino V identical to the other 2004 models all the way up to the XX?
    I thought I saw the angles were identical but then I thought I saw the XX had a different seattube.

Anyone verify?
    Thanks.

mtbr member

Hey Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Is the 2004 Palomino V identical to the other 2004 models all the way up to the XX?
    I thought I saw the angles were identical but then I thought I saw the XX had a different seattube.

Anyone verify?
    Thanks.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "different seattube" on the XX. As far as I know, all of the Palominos have the same frame just hung with different parts. The XX and the XV do have a different seat post (with clamp set back) versus the no set back clamp in the V and X...

monkey's throw poo
    Jun 2004

all in the same

all palominos are 100% the same, different colors, different components, there was a second generation swing produced with a bridge by the lower yoke to provide rigidity and the chain stays were also made skinnier for more crank arm clearance..
    enjoy
    two six is bet-ta

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

different geometry

I used to have Pal 2003 and I switched to 2004 XV. I studied geometry of both types on Klien web site. What surprised me was the difference especially in effective top tupe length which is 20 mm (both large). In reality I did not feel it, and I do not believe there is a difference at all. Do anyone has personal experience or detailed knowlege about the diffrence in geometry between 2003 and 2004's Pals. My opinion is that the difference is due to changed methodology of measurement at Klein's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monolink
    I used to have Pal 2003 and I switched to 2004 XV. I studied geometry of both types on Klien web site. What surprised me was the difference especially in effective top tupe length which is 20 mm (both large). In reality I did not feel it, and I do not believe there is a difference at all. Do anyone has personal experience or detailed knowlege about the diffrence in geometry between 2003 and 2004's Pals. My opinion is that the difference is due to changed methodology of measurement at Klein's.
    in response to the original poster... the only real difference between the V and some of the other higher end paly frames are that the V and X have brake bosses welded onto the swing arm. the XV and XX don't have them since they use disc brakes exclusively. otherwise the frames are identical.

2003 - 2004 - the front triangle changed drastically. they steepened the seat tube angle to make it more "normal" and reduced the top tube length. basically they found out that for people that had really long seatpost for a particular size, that the top tube length grew to huge lengths because of the steep post angle. so both those 2004 revisions were meant to counteract that. it could be possible that you just fall into the range of people where it didn't make that much of a difference. ie you're in the "normal" range of seatpost length for that size bike.

but riding around on both the 03 and 04, there's a noticable difference (to me) in TT length...

GL,
    -don