mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. '03 Palomino Race?

I ran across what would appear to be a great deal on a 2003 Klein Palomino Race at a bike shop/sporting goods store I visited out of town this weekend.

They had it for $1,199. The MSRP I believe was $2,550 for this bike in 2003. The reviews I've read have been favorable for performance but disappointing for the mainteanance required for this bike.

Are the headaches worth the savings?

Should I be looking for a '04 model?

Will Klein be revising the Palomino for 2005?

mtbr member

I would hang on

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    I ran across what would appear to be a great deal on a 2003 Klein Palomino Race at a bike shop/sporting goods store I visited out of town this weekend.

They had it for $1,199. The MSRP I believe was $2,550 for this bike in 2003. The reviews I've read have been favorable for performance but disappointing for the mainteanance required for this bike.

Are the headaches worth the savings?

Should I be looking for a '04 model?

Will Klein be revising the Palomino for 2005?
    Keen price, but.......

The 2003 model had bearing issues due to an unbraced rear chainstay, the shock adjustment was just plain wrong and the geometry of the bike was bizarre, meaning that the saddle was too far back at the right height for some riders.
    Some people have these 2003 models and have no prob's and that is great but for the 2004 models, Klein addressed all these issues so I would hang on for a 2004....at least, they are sure to be discounted soon.

I heard that all Trek bikes will have proper disc mounts for 2005 (another reason in my opinion for not buying a current Palo - that current bolt on disc mount is a major afterthought - it flexes badly (I have one on my Adept)
    Another poser..............

............I read that Klein will not be doing Palomino's for 2005, but have heard since that they will - at the moment both reports are unconfirmed.

Will they....Wont they...who knows, one thing for sure is that the Palomino uses a great suspension design, it really deserves to be fully sorted to make a truly great bike.

mtbr member

04 Palomino V

I have a 04 Palomino V and have had ZERO problems with it. I would go for the 04 instead of the 03.
    GarryB

mtbr member

Smile Nice wheels

Quote Originally Posted by GarryB
    I have a 04 Palomino V and have had ZERO problems with it. I would go for the 04 instead of the 03.
    GarryB
    That 'Pal' looks the biz.......nice bike - bet the wheels finish it a treat!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Don't be afraid of it

i just bought mine a month ago, i love it and think this color is nicer than '04, you just need to do a couple of things:

i did some research on the bike right after i gave them my down payment and caught a tip from someone here to ignore everything Klein says about the bike and set it up according to what maverick american says, this turned out to be gold.........

1) because i'm a clydesdale i asked for the clydesdale spring i got this tip from maverick...and it would seem Klein made a booboo, they missed the fact the Fox designed the shock to be a coil shock with air assist, and treated it as if it were an air shock (too much air makes the bike ride bad if your big). it would seem Trek never acquired any of these springs so the gave me an '04 shock instead which is an air shock)......so ask your dealer for an '04 shock

2) i planned to make the bike full XTR and found out in the reviews here that the XTR crank hits the chainstay......i told my LBS this and they got me an '04 swingarm which has the welded together chainstays.....and Klein being a first class outfit even painted it to match

3) this is optional, ride the bike if you dont like the geometry, (the main complaint being the too far back seating due to the seat angle if your tall) have the LBS swap out the thomson seatpost with a thomson triathlon bent seatpost and turn it around this will give you the steeper seat tube angle as in the'04......the seatpost must be a thomson due the strength requirements brought on by the seat angle

steps 1 & 2 were free of charge, step 3 may have a charge depending on your bike shop

hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you want one (and they are awesome!) Gotta get it now because the rumor is klein WILL NOT be making an '05 Palomino, stemming from a lawsuit issue. So if you want it go for one now.
    That is an awesome price for it, but the '04 is definitely a better bike.