Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

03 Fuel Notes and tips

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PointBoy 
#1 ·
I thought it might be a good idea to post the information I have gathered during riding experience and my upgrades of my 03 Fuel 80 for everyone.

Seat Post size = 31.6 MM

Front Derailleur size = 34.9 and must be a High Mount type

Deore XT (ES-71)BB size = 73 MM x 113 MM

Disc brake adapter was $15 and don't forget you need to buy the two bolts that hold it on as well they are $3 each if I remember right.

One thing I learned the hard way was to not lubricate your suspension bushings as this will cause them to wear out much faster and need to be replaced, my bike would making a knocking sound as I pedaled. Trek recommends you keep them dry and if the bushings look like they have a polished service when you take it apart and inspect it then you will need to replace them they should be dull looking. I paid $35 for a new bushing kit as I was lubing all mine and wore them out in 3 months. Since I replaced them and have not lubed them they have been working great.

Hopefully others will post tips and other information regarding the Fuel's.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hurchman,

You mention a "Front Derailleur size = 34.9 and must be a High Mount type"

What is a high mount???? Will the new XT front Derailleurs work. Think they have a universal clamp that goes to 34.9.

jp

Murchman said:
I thought it might be a good idea to post the information I have gathered during riding experience and my upgrades of my 03 Fuel 80 for everyone.

Seat Post size = 31.6 MM

Front Derailleur size = 34.9 and must be a High Mount type

Deore XT (ES-71)BB size = 73 MM x 113 MM

Disc brake adapter was $15 and don't forget you need to buy the two bolts that hold it on as well they are $3 each if I remember right.

One thing I learned the hard way was to not lubricate your suspension bushings as this will cause them to wear out much faster and need to be replaced, my bike would making a knocking sound as I pedaled. Trek recommends you keep them dry and if the bushings look like they have a polished service when you take it apart and inspect it then you will need to replace them they should be dull looking. I paid $35 for a new bushing kit as I was lubing all mine and wore them out in 3 months. Since I replaced them and have not lubed them they have been working great.

Hopefully others will post tips and other information regarding the Fuel's.

#5 ·
jfp said:
Hurchman,

You mention a "Front Derailleur size = 34.9 and must be a High Mount type"

What is a high mount???? Will the new XT front Derailleurs work. Think they have a universal clamp that goes to 34.9.

jp
Here is a picture of my front and I think the high mount means the bolt that clamps down on the cable must accept the cable from the top and be mounted on top part of the derailleur.

Attachments

#6 ·
Is that a pic of the 961?

Murchman said:
Here is a picture of my front and I think the high mount means the bolt that clamps down on the cable must accept the cable from the top and be mounted on top part of the derailleur.
What is the model # of the high mount frnt D. in your picture? I'm starting my build on my Fuel and am planning on using the 952 XTR crankset . Is the high mount compatible with the older style crankset or just the new compact 960 drive train? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.