mtbr member
    Nov 2012

'01 Fuel Pivot Bushing Modifications

I bought an abused Fuel recently, was already upgraded to XT drivetrain with XTR cranks

The pivot bushings were shot and very sloppy, so I dug into them. Searching led me to believe this is a common problem with the early Fuels if you don't stay on top of the pivot bolt tightness, which is a design fault IMHO. The mad-engineer in me pondered for a few days, realized WHY it wasn't working right and came up with a simple solution.

The pivot shafts are bolted through the rocker, the same bolt holds the tension on the side-bushings AND keeps the shaft locked into the rocker, but not well, since the shaft is a bit short, to allow for wear in the bushings to be taken up by tightening, but this leaves the bolt loose against the rocker to wiggle and ovalize the hole.

The gap on the rocker is the same as on the swing-arm.

'01 Fuel Pivot Bushing Modifications-20130827_125411.jpg

I got lucky and found a rear triangle with pins, so I was brave enough to experiment, and lucky enough to get it right the first time.

I bought longer bolts (m8x 1" IIRC) and a steel sleeve at Ace, then cut appx 1/4" off the end of the pin. The steel sleeve was the right length to act as a cutting guide, the bushing measured up perfectly.

'01 Fuel Pivot Bushing Modifications-20130827_125439.jpg

'01 Fuel Pivot Bushing Modifications-20130827_125620.jpg

I cut a slot in the top of the cut end, and threaded it onto the bolt to clamp-down on the side-plate, with locktite. The will keep the bolt-hole from being enlarged and stiffen the plates. Plus, provide better support for that side of the rocker-arm at the bushing.

'01 Fuel Pivot Bushing Modifications-20130827_135039.jpg

'01 Fuel Pivot Bushing Modifications-20130827_135128.jpg

The main pivots are a bit different, the bushings glue to the inner side of the swing-arm, not the frame, so the above mod won't exactly work, as the hole in the rocker arm is sized for the bushing, not the pin. This reverse setup causes more problems, because the bushings are setup to rotate around the pin, but the pin rotates with the rear triangle. This causes the rotation to be in the aluminum sleeve pressed into the frame mount, which causes excessive wear. I'm considering putting the bushings in the frame and pressing spacers into the arm to support the pin. Not sure yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '01 Fuel Pivot Bushing Modifications-20130827_125411.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hope you noticed that the rear triangle is cracked, in your last pic it is in the 11 o'clock position above the tube like 'connector' that goes from the drive side to the non-drive side. We've had two of the rear triangles from two different bike come in with the same exact issue within two weeks. They have a new'er'ish designed rear triangle that is much better designed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, that photo is the old rear triangle, another reason I was looking for a replacement rear triangle, the one I found was from an '06, I believe. Didn't mention it in the post though.

I wonder why it cracked on the top, that region should be in compression....