mtbr member
    Feb 2005

XT 2 x 10 crank on Bandit 29

I have 2013 Bandit 29 and the build kit can with the SRAM S1400 crank. While it seems to pedal and shift well I've had the none drive side loosen up twice on the trail even though everything is tight. I even used loctite the second time.

I have a nice Shimano XT crank that can take 3 rings. I used it on another bike as 2 x 9 with a bashgaurd and decided to mount the 2 x 10 rings on it and test install it on my Bandit. Using one spacer on the drive side everything looked ok and even though the 38 tooth ring was close to the chainstay it cleared. However, when rode it I know it rubbed the chainstay under flex as I could see a small amount of rub on the drive side chainstay.

Any ideas?

Does this bike require a 2 x 10 specfic crank like the SRAM S1400 it comes with?

I hope not as my Shimano crank is in good shape and the shimano BB has nice new Enduro bearings installed. I'm also not real crazy about having the none drive side of SRAM crank come off while I'm riding. That is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by trailbrain; 02-06-2013 at 10:43 AM.

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have the same problem with my Covert. I was hoping I could use my old m770 (3x) cranks that I was using in a 2x9 setup, but the 36T ring I have on them is barely clearing the chainstay. I don't get any rubbing so I can still ride the bike, but the chainline is completely off.

I'm going to a 10 speed drivetrain (I have to because the front derailleur needs to be a direct mount and I can't find any 9 speed direct mount front derailleurs) and I was hoping I could only swap out the chainrings, but I'll have to buy new 2x cranks too.

For now Shimano's m785 XT cranks are what I'll get. I was also looking at RaceFace, but I haven't got any experiance with them. Does anybody have any suggestions for 2x specific cranks with a 51mm chainline?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sounds like we are in the same ballpark on this one krt. Hopefull someone else or maybe one of the guys from Transition can chime in.

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't really know what they could do. I think the new 2x specific cranks have a wider spacing for chainrings and that's that. Can't see any way you could get a 2x system with those cranks. Besides, when I'm in my smallest cog in the back and biggest up front, the chain is flexing pretty bad. I'll just get new cranks and sell my old drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Do you think the XT 2x10 crank has a close enough chainline to the 51mm?

Do you happen to know if you can run a bash guard on that crank?

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think they work fine, since they come with a stock Covert and the chainline on Transition's site is listed as 51mm.

Unfortunately no bash on the M785 cranks. I never liked a bash ring on the cranks anyway. I'm planning on using a 2x chain guide with a bash. Something like the MRP/Truvativ 2X or Blackspire's Twinty 2X.

mtbr member
    Do you have the 38t, where the middle ring would go?

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    36T, as I said.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ne_dan, When I tried my regular XT 3 x crank that I had converted to 2 x 10 it was bash ring where large would go, 38t in the middle and 24t at the small ring.