mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Who else wants a longer travel 29er?

I want Transition to make the Smuggler with 140mm rear travel. Anyone else? Comparing to Remedy, Stumpy and all the other 140mm bikes, the Smuggler is right there geometry-wise, just short on travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm pretty sure we could assemble our own from existing parts..

i.e. bolt a smugger seat stay and chain stay to a Patrol frame and rocker arm, and add a 29er compatible long travel fork and voila'!

Long travel big wheeled horst link Transition...

Homemade 29er Patrol or Long travel Smuggler...

mtbr member
    I want a 140mm fork for my Bandit o_0 bought w/ a 130 on it...

Still very capable, just curious ^^

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Cactus Cuddler
    If Transition rolls out a Covert (or similar) bike with updates...
    ~140mmTravel
    Same slack awesomeness and simplicity as the rest of the line

Basically fill the gap between the Patrol and Smuggler...

I'd buy it sight unseen before the reviews even roll out. If this is possible tossing a Smuggler rear triangle, Patrol front triangle, and probably a revised rocker link (unless a Trunnion SuperDeluxe would nail it), then send it sooner (even if it's a 'Wild Mustang Giddy-Up bike' where it's basically a public beta test model).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    They really need a 150-160mm 29er with an upright seat angle, a slack head angle, that would accept a full-size water bottle. Basically the Patrol with wagon wheels. Call it the Recon or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    They really need a 150-160mm 29er with an upright seat angle, a slack head angle, that would accept a full-size water bottle. Basically the Patrol with wagon wheels. Call it the Recon or something.
    Yes, yes a thousand times yes... this is what I want...

TRANSITION>>> please build this, and then take my money!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    Make this bike, add me to the list.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    And make a carbon version as well so I can build it to 28lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Buddy loves his smuggler but always says i wish it was a 140 x 130 or 140 x 140 bike !

mtbr member
    I wouldn't be surprised if something like this is in the works for Transition.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wait for 2018... I've heard they're working on a few 29ers.

I'm suspecting a long travel, new or carbon smuggler, and new TransAM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Count me in. My wish list - 150mm travel, carbon, 142x12 dropouts, room for Minion 2.5 tyres, compatible with a 150mm Fox 36.

Basically, a 29er Patrol Carbon, please, but with the same chainstay length as the Smuggler.

I still have my Covert 29 and still love it......even though I have a more "new school" 29er with the same travel.....for one reason or another, it just doesn't do it for me.

Transition - take my money!

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    Pretty much all I want right now is a big travel 29er from TR.
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    MY wish list is keep the Smuggler a Smuggler. Maybe a metric upgrade will yield a bit more travel, but please not more than 120mm on this particular bike. Make a different long travel 29er if 'the masses' want one;-) I'm in love with the urgency and capability of modern -short travel- 29ers. Even the Hightower feels a bit lazy to me.

A carbon, metric smuggler, sign me up. Heck even just alloy will do. I'll be coming across from a Process:-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ukr77 View Post
    MY wish list is keep the Smuggler a Smuggler. Maybe a metric upgrade will yield a bit more travel, but please not more than 120mm on this particular bike. Make a different long travel 29er if 'the masses' want one;-) I'm in love with the urgency and capability of modern -short travel- 29ers. Even the Hightower feels a bit lazy to me.

A carbon, metric smuggler, sign me up. Heck even just alloy will do. I'll be coming across from a Process:-)

agreed. sometimes i like the idea of longer rear travel but not often, and then i think it would detract from the distinct Smuggler character which you aptly describe as 'urgent capability'. it's just such an awesome bike.

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    agreed. sometimes i like the idea of longer rear travel but not often, and then i think it would detract from the distinct Smuggler character which you aptly describe as 'urgent capability'. it's just such an awesome bike.
    I totally agree that ruining the character of the Smuggler to accomodate people wanting more travel isn't ideal - I think just adding another model should do it. Ghost is able to take the same platform and make two different mid-long travel 29ers from it - I suspect they could make a Covert or heir to the Covert from a Smuggler chassis with a custom control link and speccing a trunnion SuperDeluxe. Making that a 150/135mm travel bike would be completely do-able with minimal changes, and keep the Smuggler as-is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've been doing some checking and have looked at it a little, a Smuggler with a Scout link (assuming same leverage/pivot placement, which it probably isn't) with a 200x57mm shock and dual offset bushings in it could conceivably give about 139mm travel. Add a 150mm fork and you're done

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i've heard that Krunkshox guy might be doing something akin to this for enduro races. but that is hearsay on my part...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    A longer travel smuggler is all you want... see my post just now on the smuggler thread.

Your Best Friend
    I'd think the Pivot Switchblade checks most of these blocks.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    except everyone complains about the feeling of the switch blade suspension platform.... but everyone likes a diff platform. I love dave weagle designed bikes but hate the feeling of the suspension when the riding gets rowdy.

I think if your looking at diff bike bands; canfield riot (own one), high tower, intense recluse, and yeti sb4.5 are much better choices.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Makarmtb View Post
    except everyone complains about the feeling of the switch blade suspension platform.... but everyone likes a diff platform. I love dave weagle designed bikes but hate the feeling of the suspension when the riding gets rowdy.

I think if your looking at diff bike bands; canfield riot (own one), high tower, intense recluse, and yeti sb4.5 are much better choices.
    It's the vital mtb.com bike of the year. It's a pretty broad stroke to say "everyone" complains...
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah