mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Volume reduces with a Covert with CTD shock

Hi. I've been bottoming out my shock a bit too easily despite sag and everything else being OK, and am looking to install a spacer from the Fox volume reducing kit. I've been referring to the table on the Fox website about which spacer to install (link included below) and i'm struggling to understand it. It seems i'm not able to the use of the two largest spacers, so seems like the middle sized spacer is probably the one to go for.

I'm confused as to the Length and travel columns - From the magnitude of the numbers in those columns I assume the length column refers to the suspension travel (140mm or 5.5 inches in my case with my Covert 29) and the travel is the actual travel of the shock itself?? Also i'm not sure what the eyelet column is referring to. The videos on YouTube (official Fox ones as well as other ones) just focus on the actual installation process and seem to suggest the selection of the spacer to use is done on a trial and error basis - which is fine, but having studied the table on the Fox website it states that certain combinations shouldn't be used or "DO NOT USE!", so i don't want to choose one of those combinations.

Anyone out there done this to their Covert 29 who can offer up some help or some advice? I'm happy with the actual installation procedure, seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks.

Changing 2013 FLOAT CTD Air Spring Compression Ratios

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Length is shock eye to eye measurement and travel is shock stroke.In the eyelet column is the shockair volume size, from std up to XV 1 and xv 2 . The next column gives the compression ratio without a volume spacer. the lower the volume the higher the compression ratio. Each column there after gives the compression ratio with each size volume spacer, as you would expect it goes up with increasing vol spacer size. "Do not use" is not recommended and "can not use" must mean it won't fit. So there is really only use able 3 vol spacers.Prior to CTD it was much easier to see what size air sleeve was fitted to the shock. Now I wouldn't have a clue, so I can't help you there.

As well as affecting squeeze out at the end of the travel,I find adding volume spacers makes the shock more active in the initial travel.The opposite when removing spacers and compound that by adding air pressure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks gvs_nz. I finally got round to doing this tonight and when I removed the air can a spacer was already present and it was the same size as the second largest one that comes in the Fox spacer kit. I've installed the largest spacer and will see how I get on. Will the move to that largest spacer make a noticeable difference? If not then what are my options?

Thanks.

Deere Rider
    I went through this myself. HERE is my thread on the process I went through. If you say your shock had the second largest spacer factory installed that means Transition has increased the spacer two sizes from when I got my bike. It sounds like the bike now comes stock with the spacer size I ended up using. I have not tried out the largest size spacer as I am currently satisfied with the second largest option.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbliscott View Post
    Hi. I've been bottoming out my shock a bit too easily despite sag and everything else being OK, and am looking to install a spacer from the Fox volume reducing kit. I've been referring to the table on the Fox website about which spacer to install (link included below) and i'm struggling to understand it. It seems i'm not able to the use of the two largest spacers, so seems like the middle sized spacer is probably the one to go for.

I'm confused as to the Length and travel columns - From the magnitude of the numbers in those columns I assume the length column refers to the suspension travel (140mm or 5.5 inches in my case with my Covert 29) and the travel is the actual travel of the shock itself?? Also i'm not sure what the eyelet column is referring to. The videos on YouTube (official Fox ones as well as other ones) just focus on the actual installation process and seem to suggest the selection of the spacer to use is done on a trial and error basis - which is fine, but having studied the table on the Fox website it states that certain combinations shouldn't be used or "DO NOT USE!", so i don't want to choose one of those combinations.

Anyone out there done this to their Covert 29 who can offer up some help or some advice? I'm happy with the actual installation procedure, seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks.

Changing 2013 FLOAT CTD Air Spring Compression Ratios
    The CTD shocks (and yours specifically) use the Large Volume (LV) sleeve (big mushroom shape at the top). The XV1 and XV2 options refer to the previous RP23 shocks. Check the line for the 7.875X2.25 LV shock and you will see that all spacer sizes are acceptable. Good luck.