Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

V2 Covert Photo Thread

I'm awaiting my frame, so my pics are on the way.

Please post some up, or transfer them over from the V1 thread.

The new Covert deserves it's own thread! I could look at them all day.

mtbr member
    Great idea!!!

Mine:

Love it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I.T.T.- Is that a med?

Beautiful.

mtbr member
    Frame size is Small.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My local trails do not require FS except for a few rocky sections but I think saving all my pennies, nickels, & dimes for a Covert frame & 6" fork for next year, I could MAKE it more than worthwhile. And of course, can take trips elsewhere to ride...

Hard decisions: save longer for Covert or a TransAM. Either one, would KILL! Wish I had the $ & room for both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Last edited by joelsman; 11-06-2009 at 03:55 PM.

mtbr member

Covert

Here's one bought from us not too long ago.

Nice kid nice...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pedal-Shop/179200508318
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008

Just finished mine

Specs:

Medium frame
    '10 Fox RP23 & 36 TALAS
    '10 Crossmax SX wheelset with 12mm bolt on rear axle
    Transition AM Hammerschmidt build kit, with a couple part swaps:
    Shimano XT 11-34 rear cassette - needed due to aluminum freehub body
    X9 super short cage derailleur (build kit comes with a long cage)
    Geax 2.3 TNT DHEA tires - I love High Rollers, which come in the build kit, but prefer
    tubeless, and wanted to try out the DHEA's; they look like they'll work well, but are heavy at 2.15 lbs (~960g) for a tire that measures 2.2in. wide
    Shimano 520 SPD pedals
    Avid Matchmakers

As pictured, 32 1/2 lbs. For Super D, I'll run lighter tires, and it should be in the 31 1/2 lb range.

Those Crossmax's are light
    Last edited by mtg7aa; 12-12-2009 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very nice! Might be just what I'm looking for! Does it ride the roots as well as it looks?

mtbr member
    I was between the Covert and the Uzzi for my next bike, but I guess I made up my mind already. The white is just beautiful but I already have a white bike, so I might go with the new Raw or the green. But this bike looks like a killer.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blyth
    Very nice! Might be just what I'm looking for! Does it ride the roots as well as it looks?
    I don't know yet, it's so cold and snowy in Denver right now- I rode it yesterday at Boulder Indoor Cycling's mtb skills thingy, and that's the only riding it's seen so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    Specs:

very nice bike !! just a bit white but so nice !

It seems it is a Fox talas at 130mm right ? doesn't look like a 160mm fork

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kali
    very nice bike !! just a bit white but so nice !

It seems it is a Fox talas at 130mm right ? doesn't look like a 160mm fork

Good eye, the fork is actually at 100mm in most of the pics. The head tube angle is slack enough that running the fork that short doesn't feel overly steep, it feels like a super low trail ripper. The BB height is just over 13" with the fork at 100mm travel.

mtbr member
    hmmmh at this time I can't understand why to run this bike at 100mm with hammerschmidt, SX and all that stuff...
    it looks like a very big XC

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kali
    hmmmh at this time I can't understand why to run this bike at 100mm with hammerschmidt, SX and all that stuff...
    it looks like a very big XC
    Easy, with the turn of a knob, it's 160mm in the front. It makes for a more versatile setup. In CO, we have steep climbs, and running the front end really low at 100mm helps getting up steep technical lines. Then on the way down, you can take the bigger lines with a burly setup and 160mm.

This bike will also be used for some 4X and Dual Slalom, and a strong, low, short travel setup works very well in those situations. You don't always need big travel- look at other Transition bikes, like the Double and Bottlerocket. The Bottlerocket is way more beefy than the Covert, and shorter travel.

mtbr member
    I know the utility of the Talas, but I just sold mine to get a float
    it works much better, and as you know it's harder on steep climbs, but best smoothness has a cost

mtbr member
    wow these are looking fantastic...i really think i will be on one later this year.

mtbr member
    Guess a Float would do fine on the Covert, the geometry seems to be based around 160mm forks, so it might get things even front and rear! But the TALAS sure helps, but it's hard to beat the feel on both the Float and the Vanilla!

BTW, haven't seen the orange one at the start of the thread - nice! The HS crankset and the SX wheels seem to be the first choice around here!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    mtg7aa that is a very sweet bike. I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy a covert but i can't quite decide. I'm a bit of a fat bastard (6' 2, 220lbs) and I'm not sure if the frame is strong enough. What do you guys, as owners of coverts, think?

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy156
    mtg7aa that is a very sweet bike. I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy a covert but i can't quite decide. I'm a bit of a fat bastard (6' 2, 220lbs) and I'm not sure if the frame is strong enough. What do you guys, as owners of coverts, think?
    Thanks.

The Covert should be fine, as long as you're not trying to use it as a DH bike, or take it off huge hucks, etc. It's a very substantial feeling frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks.

The Covert should be fine, as long as you're not trying to use it as a DH bike, or take it off huge hucks, etc. It's a very substantial feeling frame.

Cheers mtg7aa! Just spoke to the UK supplier and they will be available here in Jan, so I'll get my order in!

PS. I realised after posting that I was probably in the wrong thread, so sorry for getting off topic!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

As pictured, 32 1/2 lbs. For Super D, I'll run lighter tires, and it should be in the 31 1/2 lb range.
    Freakin sweet bike man! You're gonna need an adjustable seat post (with remote) to race Super D though, sadly will add a bit of weight.

I've been using my Intense SS for Super D, works great but I kinda want something super light for smoother more XC-ish Super D courses. Something in the 27-28 lb range...looks like the Coverts are building more into the low 30s so guess it's out

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Freakin sweet bike man! You're gonna need an adjustable seat post (with remote) to race Super D though, sadly will add a bit of weight.

I've been using my Intense SS for Super D, works great but I kinda want something super light for smoother more XC-ish Super D courses. Something in the 27-28 lb range...looks like the Coverts are building more into the low 30s so guess it's out
    Thanks.

I'm still not sure about putting an adjustable seatpost on it. I like things to be simple and clean (like the Covert frame), but I'll live with a compromise when I think it's worth it- such as rear suspension, adjustable front travel, Hammerschmidt, etc. I've ridden with an adjustable post before, and oh man is it convenient, but for everything but racing, I just stop to readjust as most of the trails I ride are long climbs and then long descents.
    I've been racing Super D with a non-adjustable post, I just have to put some strategy into what height I run. So far, I've been able to get down the courses pretty quick with a relatively high saddle height. You do have a solid point though, adjustable posts are quite convenient for SD.

As far as weight....Transition says the bike builds up in the "28-32 lb range" on their website, and there's easy ways to save weight from there. Even mine with a Stylo crankset and lightish tires would probably be about 30, maybe even lower. For racing XC-ish Super D, you could def do a 1x9, Crossmax ST or equivalent, much lighter tires (almost 1/2 the weight of what is on mine right now), a 140mm travel Float fork or equivalent and you'd probably be in that 28lb range.

mtbr member
    a french build

soon mine posted here

mtbr member
    Kali, that's really nice. I have a set of XT 20mm wheels here and this is exactly the way I'd like to build it.

What is the brakeset you're using on it?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast