mtbr member

New question here. US to UK price gap TR450

I'm in the process of deciding on what DH rig I'm going to settle on and the 450 is most definitely on the shortlist.
    Whilst the end cost is something I've to take into consideration, it isn't something that will sway me one way or the other. And tbh you get what you pay for.

However, what really does chap my ass is being subtly ripped off by greedy store owners. Or am I missing something?

Ok so here's the thing. Why is the gap in the US to UK end price so huge, when the bike specs are indentical on a 2013 build 1?

TR450; $6699 USD (price on Transition website)

At the current exchange rate this equates to; $6699USD totalling to 4149.56GBP

TR450; 6350GBP (price on UK suppliers that I can find)

At the current exchange rate this equates to; 6350GBP totalling to $10,251USD

Now I'm no math professor but that is a difference of 2200.44 in GBP, so how in the hell does a bike that is identical, retail at a realistic price of just over 4k suddenly get inflated to well over 6k just because it's travelled a couple of thousand miles?

Now I appreciate that there are obviously import duties to pay, shipping, dealer mark-up etc and of course we're subjected to 20%vat here in f*%k the working man Britain, but seriously. A difference of 2200quid is just wrong and quite frankly greedy.

I mean would you guys pay over $10k for a bike, knowing that at point of origin it's a 3rd cheaper with no discernable difference in build or quality?

I'm sure that all the bikes coming into and sold out by UK dealers are pretty much subjected to this pricing difference but I think I looked a little harder at the 450 as it's currently top of my list.

Are there any UK 450 owners who bought theirs without realising what a huge difference in price there was at time of purchase? Or were you just happy to hand your money over?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    TR450 $6699 = 4165
    Plus duty at 5.4% = 225
    Plus VAT T 20% = 833
    Plus shipping 120
    Plus handling charges 30
    Total 5373 = $8643

This is a rough cacutation of what you might be charged if you brought one from the US. You would save a bit but not a lot for all the extra hassle, stress and time. Also remember that the more people handle a item the more the item will cost.
    Trust me you are not being ripped off its just the way things work.
    Last edited by Razzer; 12-27-2012 at 11:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzer View Post
    TR450 $6699 = 4165
    Plus duty at 5.4% = 225
    Plus VAT T 20% = 833
    Plus shipping 120
    Plus handling charges 30
    Total 5373 = $8643

This is a ruff cacutation of what you might be charged if you brought one from the US. You would save a bit but not a lot for all the extra hassle, stress and time. Also remember that the more people handle a item the more the item will cost.
    Trust me you are not being ripped off its just the way things work.
    Thank you for point this out ^, you are totally correct. No one is ripping you off, it's just the nature of a world economy.

I would add that dealers in the USA (or anywhere else) are not supposed to ship outside of their country. When they do, the local distributor has to support and service a product that they had no part in selling... which is only going to make them "need" to make more money on the bikes they do sell.

IE: Buying from the USA saves you a small amount up front, but does major damage to the long term success of your local bike industry.

mtbr member
    Guys, lets not get this blown outta proportion by my using "ripped off", it wasn't meant as an offense to anyone. If you lived this side of the pond it'd make more sense, as the trader/customer interaction in the UK sucks balls in almost every area, in business and leisure.

I did acknowledge in my OP, that there are considerations to taken into account in regard to various costs etc and thanks to Razzer for his brief breakdown of how this is arrived at.
    But at the end of the day, even the total arrived at (5373) is still nearly a 1000quid cheaper than the UK list price for a 450.
    Admittedly there's no dealer mark-up included in the total, so assuming they're paying that roughly per bike they bring in, that's a pretty damn good return on one bike sale.
    Hell, if the company I work for could charge like that on every job we'd all be rich lol!

And I agree with what you're saying Transition Bikes dude and it's nice to hear from a manufactorer directly, so thanks for chipping in. The global economy is in the can at the moment and those of us that work, have houses to run etc all totally get that.
    But it would be nice to see what you guys pay for a bike and what we pay for one, a little bit closer at end user cost.

As for shipping one in myself direct from a US dealer, there's little sense because of the points you have both made and that wasn't in or mentioned in my OP.
    I just wanted to ask the question