Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Transition's new suspension platform: Bandit Enduro Prototype

37K views 90 replies 43 participants last post by  HeavyFlow 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Just saw this, this morning as well. Looks good! Like the new suspension design. I was wondering what it was though and after looking at the front triangle more it looked like a Bandit. Wonder if this is going to be a cross bread between the Bandit & Covert? If not, will the Covert have the same suspension platform? It seems at times Transition has fallen off. I guess it's because the bigger manufactures have so much chatter and these guys just lay low?? I don't know but I'm happy to see this and I'm interested in seeing more from these guys.

#8 ·
W/ Horst link it was NORCO Sight and Range that came to mine first, but yes it looks like Treks too.

I liked my Horst-types back in the day but also remember how the down side for all that traction was sort of wallowing or sinking back end. I wonder if modern shocks fix that and will get the bike pump-worthy?

Regardless, my best wishes to them with new bikes and in general. My Bank and Covert have been great bikes and the whole world needs the sort of smiles they've delivered. Their customer service has been just as pleasing.

#9 ·
Every Horst link bike i have ridden have always been really plush which isnt a good or bad thing depending on what feel you like. I do think modern shocks can make a huge different on the same bike. My monarch plus helps make my covert a climbing machine when traditionally it shouldnt be.

Dont forget that trek has their special DCRV valving on their bikes which "differentiates" them from other Horst type designs. Now they have the new reaktive stuff.

This will most likely be a covert replacement whether it takes the name or becomes a new one. it may borrow styling cues from the bandit but thats because it needs to make room for the new shock placement. good luck fitting that vertical shock within the same lines of the current coverts and get any type of geo out of it. I do love the sleek compact lines of the current coverts though. i will be sad to see them go.

#12 ·
My Trance 27.5 has the exact cable routing as well. No problems with it. Doesnt the covert drop down the down tube and wrap under the BB? I think I like this set up better than that. In any rate I'm still very curious to see and read more. I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about this company so I have to believe this proto will shred. Let's see more Transition!!

#11 ·
My bandit had "magic" geometry, just couldn't get the pedaling action needed for TX steeper up down trails and the regressive rate wasn't my bag. If the went more linear on the rear rate and keep their handling like it was then this looks like a winner.

#14 ·
I'm glad I have a Transition with a no frills single pivot/swing link tuned suspension. Maybe the newer shock technology out there helps but the 4 bar designs I've owned in the past had a degree of squat while climbing or under power, my Covert 29 does not. The diff in traction while descending between the 2 designs is minimal in my experience, while the squat or wallow is more noticeable.

Maybe they are just experimenting since they can but I don't see the 4 bar/horst susp as being better, maybe a dual link but one of the things I like about Transition is the simple susp design.

#22 ·
R: Transition's new suspension platform: Bandit Enduro Prototype

Yeah, these new short travel/aggressive geo 29ers are really appealing. To be honest I like the look of Banshee bikes, especially the "stealth" ones. Without going into pure speculation about angles, chainstay length, difference in travel or suspension scheme I'd choose the Smuggler over the Phantom for the bottle cage bosses (and possibly the shock size, I hope it uses something more common than the 184x44). Regarding the seat post length... For my size (L) the Transition is just 7mm "smarter" than the Kona :-D

#34 ·
650b happened. It put a stop to all company's trying to make a long travel bike with 29" wheels. Shame as the market for them was growing. But I guess It just easier to build a long travel 650b bike.
Personally I quite like the medium wheels coming back from the 29" ones but a 29er did have a unique ride feel to them so it is a shame that no one is putting to effort into big wheels and big travel.

----------------

Oh and I defiantly want and going to get a Patrol, love the blatant piss take of giddy up suspension and I thought I had the best hard tail a 650b TransAM until I saw the new TransAM!

#30 ·
Yes, lots of things spinning in my head to put off decisions.

First, I wonder if these Horst-types will sink or wallow when pedaling hard on a climb like my Enduro did. Next is wanting to try Trek's new shock. For that, I see the rental place near me has that in 650B Fuel and both size Remedy. The Phantom seems like it will be heavy without spending big time.

I haven't been able to try a Phantom but tried 2014 and 2015 Process 111s.

I've has so much fun riding my modern steel hard tail this season that I might wait a good while. I'm finding I only want a new suspension bike if it's riding long with faster riders. The hard tail riding really makes me wonder if these new Horst-types will always be too squishy in back or require flipping shock switch all the time.

Finally, will these new Transitions be the same great packages and values as the past? Fierce competition might help that because others will have the Horst links including Mongoose direct sales.

Regardless, I think you're right about new age 29rs being popular. I never liked the big wheels until I rode the new breed that's so much more fun.

#32 ·
What jumps out at me are the geometry changes like the longer TT's and wheelbase numbers, 180 degree change from their current bikes. My guess is the horst link/4 bar design will sell better but personally I don't think it's better than what they have now. One of the main reasons I choose my Covert 29 is the tight wheelbase for a full travel 29er, 46.7" for an XL with 150 Pike. The Smuggler has less travel and a 48" wheelbase in XL size, that's long. Seems like more of a short travel gravity bike than a trail bike.

#35 ·
It might have had a tight wheelbase but a super short for an XL ETT of only 24.2". That's border line Large frame sizing on other manufacturer's frames. I'll gladly take an inch of extra wheelbase and be able to run a super short 40mm stem vs something like an 80mm or even longer to get the same feel as I have now on my current bike. Plus the Covert 29er chainstay lengths are half an inch longer too than the Smuggler.

#38 ·
The Scout sounds awesome (as does the Patrol)! I am glad they relate the game-changing qualities (for me at least) to that of the Bottlerocket. I loved my BR and regret selling it. I bought a Covert and sold the Bottlerocket...turns out I didn't really mesh with the Covert. Now I'm on a Banshee Spitfire since I wanted an aggressive, durable, shorter-travel, do-it-all type bike.

If that scout rides as described, I think it will be a winner. The low mount derailleur tabs are nice and hidden, chain guide mounts, internal cable routing, collet style pivot hardware (YES!!! everyone needs to do this), and built in chainstay protection...lots of great features.

That said, I still wouldn't trade my Spitty for it - this frame is absolutely dialed! I love it every bit as much as my old BR...probably even more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.