mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Transition throttle & vanquish

new carbon hardtails to replace the Trans Am rrp in the UK is £1750 for the frame

Throttle 27.5

Vanquish 29er

cnut
    Yeah, since the £ took a nosedive we seem to have returned to the days where in the UK we pay in £ what the US pays in $.

They're a couple of very good looking hardtails though.

mtbr member
    Always a fan of harcore hardtails riding a Whyte 905 myself. These two look really nice, although BB height looks a bit tall at 335 for the throttle. I guess it suits their own terrain better than something lower, but I wonder how it affects the ride (mine's 305mm)

Price is a bit steep though, I hope they follow up with steel or alu versions at friendlier price points.

They really nailed the aesthetics I have to admit, they're both great looking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Great looking bikes. Why isn't this thread 50 pages long already? OK I'll start:

No price point steel or alloy options

No 27.5+ compatibility.

and go..............
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Great looking bikes. Why isn't this thread 50 pages long already? OK I'll start:

No price point steel or alloy options

No 27.5+ compatibility.

and go..............
    Steel option would be nice. Alloy with this geo and spec is worthless. I don't blame them for not bothering.

Throttle fits 2.6 tire. That's plenty. 27.5+ is a gimmick anyway.

mtbr member
    Alu worthless? Don't think so. Two differently spec'ed alu versions (for example NX with Sektor and GX with Yari) would considerably widen the buyer spectrum. I believe such offerings would suit the hardcore hardtail demographic better pricewise. Or newcomers who don't want a XC hardtail. Current versions are $$$$$.

If they intented to offer steel versions they would have probably kept the Trans Am model name.

As for the old steel vs alu argument, design can also determine how a bike feels. Not all alu or steel frames are created the same. Add 2.5-2.6 tyres and I'm sure an alu ht can be pretty forgiving.

Anyway, glad to see ht's back in the trail bike game.

mtbr member
    Think this is just what happens... last Trans Am was awesome. Could it have been a little nicer... sure. For the price, probably not. Margin is probably a good bit higher on the plastic bikes and they are moving their line forward with this all around.

A steel option? Been there, done that. Alum? Nah... the carbon is a big jump up from where they were... tack another grand onto your HT? Not me, I'd just buy an alloy Scout

I do like that the weight is half my steel bike, but I don't except to move away from TA - geo is pretty close on the Vanquish anyway.

If I had the money or I hadn't already bought a TA, I might... every carbon HT I've ridden has ridden awesome, and if Transition did some work, I don't doubt these will. The TA could definitely be more compliant... but it's a bruiser.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm surprised that I have not seen hardly any chatter on these bikes since the launch. I've had a TransAM for years and was looking forward to replacing it when it was eliminated from the line-up. The announcement of these frames was a welcomed surprise.

I took delivery of a Vanquish this past Saturday and put down three rides. So far really impressed. Much like everything else Transition makes, it's a ton of fun to ride and just wants to rip. Their bikes have the best personalities. If anyone has any questions about the ride, post up and I'll offer whatever feed back I can.

I suspect once this bike catches on, they won't be able to keep them in stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
    I'm surprised that I have not seen hardly any chatter on these bikes since the launch. I've had a TransAM for years and was looking forward to replacing it when it was eliminated from the line-up. The announcement of these frames was a welcomed surprise.

I took delivery of a Vanquish this past Saturday and put down three rides. So far really impressed. Much like everything else Transition makes, it's a ton of fun to ride and just wants to rip. Their bikes have the best personalities. If anyone has any questions about the ride, post up and I'll offer whatever feed back I can.

I suspect once this bike catches on, they won't be able to keep them in stock.
    I'm really interested in one of these frames but it's just the wrong time of year for me. All of the upper elevation trails are thawing out and a hardtail is more of a winter bike for these parts.

What kind of trails have been on with the Vanquish? When I asked Transition about the two frames they said Throttle if you like air and Vanquish if you want to put in the miles.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I'm really interested in one of these frames but it's just the wrong time of year for me. All of the upper elevation trails are thawing out and a hardtail is more of a winter bike for these parts.

What kind of trails have been on with the Vanquish? When I asked Transition about the two frames they said Throttle if you like air and Vanquish if you want to put in the miles.
    I would say that Transition likely summed up the two bikes well in that statement. To be clear, I have not rode the Throttle but based on how the Vanquish handles, I imagine the throttle is like a BMX bike for the trails.

I'm in lower Michigan and we have pretty traditional singletrack - roots, rocks, small burms and a few natural features but nothing excessive. Both the climbs and downhills would not be considered long by anyone in a mountain area but our trails are constant up and down. Punchy climbs and short but quick descents, typically putting you right into another climb. Lots of tight twisty technical sections, linking up corners and rolling downhills right into uphills.

The bike is really stiff and the hardtail obviously shines on the climbs. I find it more agile than my TransAM was. By my second ride on my "home" trail, I was easily taking tighter lines on corners that I have ridden the same line on for years. It just loves to dive into the corners - the swoop factor is high.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'll echo this--I rode the Vanquish last night. It is a hard charger trail bike--just with less suspension. The 120 fork and fixed rear makes the rider more attached to the trail, and this has benefits and drawbacks. You can be super fast and agile, it goes where you want, it climbs like crazy, it goes down like crazy.

The down for some is that you can't just sit there and plow over shit. You need to be off the seat more--the suspension is in your legs.

Short version--really cool trail bike that can tackle a lot more terrain than you might realize. But you can't ride it like a full-sus bike.

mtbr member
    They look like nice frames but I was disappointed by the lack of steel and singlespeed dropouts. The last Trans Am has good geometry but their dropouts suck and the internal dropper cable routing is not optimal.

mtbr member
    Who's gonna single speed a 1600$ carbon frame?

I like the fixed dropout design. The FAST dropouts on the TA aren't that bad. I don't know how they'd work if I actually moved them, but slammed forward and loctite'd up, they work fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    Who's gonna single speed a 1600$ carbon frame?

I like the fixed dropout design. The FAST dropouts on the TA aren't that bad. I don't know how they'd work if I actually moved them, but slammed forward and loctite'd up, they work fine.
    Uhm, I'm eating pancakes and drinking coffee. It's delicious!

You haven't tried to run the TA dropouts SS? Yeah, they're not that great. And to answer your question, people who ride singlespeeds will SS whatever hardtail hey own, no matter the frame material, as long as the dropouts accommodate it. But if you look at my post I was referring to the lack of a steel and SS option...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Their bikes are badass and pretty damn close to what I'm looking for in my next bikes. Question though, I only have experience with 29'ers, why would they make the more aggressive, long travel bike with 27.5 wheels over 29?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hickey we need pics dammit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The pic request is reasonable. So it's a simple 1x11 GX drive trail with Anvl stem, bars and wheels but I had the rear wheel rebuilt with an Onyx boost hub. Pike 120 up front and I had to use a parts bin post for now but an E.13 dropper is not far out. Chromag Trailmaster DT seat because for me, it's the best fit.

Transition - if you are listening, Anvl parts are fantastic - why not offer an Anvl parts spec? This bike would be the perfect victim.

All of this made possible by my local Transition dealer Pat from Backdoor Bikes. Pat is the man. I think is was less than a month from the time I saw the press release until I put down my first ride on this bike.

And again, as if I haven't said it enough - this bike absolutely rips.

Transition throttle & vanquish-vanquish-front.jpgTransition throttle & vanquish-vanquish-side.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by felix1776 View Post
    Their bikes are badass and pretty damn close to what I'm looking for in my next bikes. Question though, I only have experience with 29'ers, why would they make the more aggressive, long travel bike with 27.5 wheels over 29?
    It's the same it was with the TA series. It's easier to make a longer travel with the smaller wheels and keep the geo in check. Also, you don't really need as much travel on a 29er because the wheels get stopped us less due to a better angle of attack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Looks sweet! Water bottle matches perfectly as well

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Built my Throttle up last week, absolutely love it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by coffey555 View Post
    Built my Throttle up last week, absolutely love it!
    sooooo. pics? weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLight350z View Post
    sooooo. pics? weight?
    26.02lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition throttle & vanquish-20170718_190909.jpg  

Transition throttle & vanquish-20170718_190946.jpg  

Transition throttle & vanquish-20170718_190918.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by coffey555 View Post
    26.02lbs
    Looks badass! How are you liking it so far? any highlights?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    The bike is very good on steep technical sections, the low toptube and 175mm dropper give great standover height clearance. It also loves tight, twisty singletrack, the thing flows along nicely. The carbon frame really takes the edge off the stiffness of the Enve wheels which I found to be too harsh on my Stanton Ti Slackline. The Throttle also climbs really well considering its downward bias. The internal cables are a pita to run (especially the dropper one!) and the rear axle is a 5mm hex (non issue for me as 36 is the same) which may annoy some but minor points really. All in all I love it, feels like a hardtail Bronson.