Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    This is another thing about SRAM and that XD driver, the cassettes derailleurs are so expensive compared to Shimano stuff. I realize itís new technology(cost is expensive right now) but I donít need the new tech right now.
    Ahhhhh man the XD was a game changer for me. Love it! Never get a loose cassette, never battle removing a cassette because it's gouged into the standard driver, never had to replace a driver because it's now garbage.

XD is a real buying feature for me. Totally fair if you have no issues with standard driver, to each their own. But for me, there are real tangible benefits.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Ahhhhh man the XD was a game changer for me. Love it! Never get a loose cassette, never battle removing a cassette because it's gouged into the standard driver, never had to replace a driver because it's now garbage.

XD is a real buying feature for me. Totally fair if you have no issues with standard driver, to each their own. But for me, there are real tangible benefits.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I feel the same way. I prefer the XD interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Hope that E13's 9-46 cassette drops in price over coming year, that cassette pretty much cancels the need or usefulness of 12spd options.
    Getting a little OT with all the drivetrain talk, but FWIW I just paid $89NZD for an 11-46t Sunrace cassette. For that price I can live with a little less top speed and a couple of hundred grams weight!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Also, there's an 11-speed 11-50 cassette available now as another option.
    Last edited by kwapik; 12-02-2017 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Anybody know a shop that has a Large GX build in stock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Looks like this shop might: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2283016/

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    Looks like this shop might: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2283016/
    Thanks! I ended up getting one from them. I will hopefully have it by next weekend. Let you guys know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sweet! I'd love to hear a ride report.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    Sweet! I'd love to hear a ride report.
    Will do! I've had a Hightower, Smuggler, Primer (over shocked and stock), and Norco Range C9. So I should be able to give some good comparisons for everyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I too look forward to a ride report Qtip2 as i am presently comparing the Norco Range C9 and sentinel. How do you like your Range? I hear its a pretty great bike and surprisingly nimble for a 29er of that wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobyland View Post
    I too look forward to a ride report Qtip2 as i am presently comparing the Norco Range C9 and sentinel. How do you like your Range? I hear its a pretty great bike and surprisingly nimble for a 29er of that wheelbase.
    It really was a great bike, I have just been waiting on the Sentinel for a while and needed something in the mean time. Take nothing away from the Range, it was awesome. Climbed well, a little front wheel flop on steep inclines. Going down it was very stable and the rear is so plush and planted. It also is very playful for the wheelbase like you stated. You don't have to be pushing it super hard in order to make it fun on the downhills. My bike was heavy, no carbon other than the frame, but still felt "light".

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Mine in it's current form weighs 34 pounds. That's with maxxis double down tires in front and back. I'll be switching to a single ply tire up front and I have some new wheels on the way that will shave a little bit more weight off as well.

When I threw it on the scale I was a little worried but it's been a non issue. The bike definitely pedals well and for me puts me in an absolute perfect position for climbing (I'm 5'11 and on a L).
    Hey dfinn,

Would you mind giving some feedback on riding the sentinel in the turns? How playful/nimble is it? all things considered....
    What type of terrain are you riding it on? and what was your previous bike for comparison?
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the guys who run the LBS both have new Sents. after a recent ride down a fav local trail with a number of tight, flat S turns that are anything but smooth they said it was the fastest they've ever ridden that trail. they rave on and on about how well it corners at speed. they be magic bikes apparently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    any owners who've already been riding their Sentinels feel that it's a bit too slack? 64, wow, wildly slack! any perceived drawbacks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    any owners who've already been riding their Sentinels feel that it's a bit too slack? 64, wow, wildly slack! any perceived drawbacks?
    Not at all. Assuming you're looking to use the bike for it's intended use. (If you're not spending some time on steeper, rougher terrain, something like the smuggler would make more sense.) I know it sounds too good to be true, but the reduced offset fork combined with the steeper seat tube makes a longer, slacker bike descend and climb better than Transition's previous generations.
    Binary ē Transition Bikes ē Demon Dirt ē

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The definition of what is considered slack has changed over the years but for sure 64 is quite slack and requires a different more aggressive way of riding to take full advantage of it.

Some people can adapt to it but some others can't. Personally I don't own a Sentinel but I consider one (or a Patrol or a Nomad 4) and my main concern is also the slack head angle since I have tried some slack bikes and I couldn't really adapt to them. Most probably if I have spent more time then I would have adapted better I guess. As for the longer reach and shorter offset my Mondraker has both and I am really happy with them.

Anyway I guess it comes down to what type of trails we are mainly ride and how much time we want to spend adapting to a new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobyland View Post
    Hey dfinn,

Would you mind giving some feedback on riding the sentinel in the turns? How playful/nimble is it? all things considered....
    What type of terrain are you riding it on? and what was your previous bike for comparison?
    Thanks,
    Sure. It turns just fine, no problems laying it over or snapping it in and out of corners. Given it's length it may not be the quickest bike through slow/tight corners but if the trail has a bunch of those then I'm probably not going to be riding it very often. For what it is, the Sentinel is pretty playful but as others have pointed out, if your trails are not pretty steep and rough then you might want to check out a smuggler. That being said I've taken it on some of my local xc'ish trails and still had tons of fun with it.

The first couple of rides that I took it on it was feeling really stuck to the ground and not super playful but after some suspension tuning (lots of spacers, I'm a heavy guy) it's now feeling really good, lots of pop and pretty easy to get off the ground.

I'm coming off a '17 carbon scout and I generally prefer rowdy trails.

Also, regarding the slack head angle, when I first picked up the bike from the LBS and gave it a parking lot test I was really worried about what I had just bought. I haven't owned a DH bike in a couple of seasons but I think this bike is slacker than my past DH bikes. After a couple of rides I don't even notice the slackness anymore, at least not in a negative way. There's no side to side flip flopping while climbing or anything like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Range 9 and Primer were my favorite 29ers Iíve had in the past couple years. Based off that I will describe the two and than tell you how the Sentinel compared.

Range 9: Range was a decent climber that would just tractor up anything. It was not fast, but I was able to climb every hill I normally would on other bikes. On super steep climbs it did have a little front end wandering and took a little more body english to get around tight corners. Descending it was fantastic, just point the thing down and not worry about anything in its path. Still surprisingly playful when you wanted to be, it was not begging to be popped and playful, but could if you took the extra effort. Rear end was very supple and never felt a bottom out. I live in an area that really allows the Range to shine, but also ride trails were it felt like too much bike.

Primer: The Primer was an amazing climber at 130 in the rear. It felt very nimble going up and I set a lot of PRís when riding this bike on the climbs. On the steeper down hills in my area the bike got overwhelmed and I wished I had more travel. On the more XC trails it was great and begged to be jumped and popped off of every feature. I ended up over shocking it and put a 200 X 57 in the rear. This really helped out on the steep gnarly descents, but also had to worry about rear tire rub.

Sentinel: The best compromise of the two bikes above and better in some regards. The Sentinel puts you in a perfect position for climbing. Itís hard to explain, but it just feels right, SBG is legit. The head angle is deceiving and does not feel that slack on the climbs. No wandering front wheel, climbs great (somewhere between the Primer at 130 and the Range), and no problem getting around tight corners climbing. Where the Sentinel really shines is when pointed down, the thing just wants to be pushed. This bike really is hard for me to put into words, its just plain fun! It is the only aluminum bike Iíve hard where I didnít wish I had carbon. The only bike that has been great to point straight downhill and blow through everything, but still have fun when it is not pushed and feels like the old Scout. If you were a fan of the previous Transition bikes you will fall in love with bike. This is a bike that takes all the best traits of last yearís bikes (Patrol, Scout, and Smuggler) and blends them together perfectly. I am only able to have one bike that I need to be able to do everything and this is the best compromise Iíve found.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^ dude your killing me here....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^^ dude your killing me here....
    Haha, likewise, I want my Sentinel now, Anyone have any updates on the second production run yet? I hope it's still on track for January...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    whoever got his Sentinel... can you share some photos?

I am waiting for my "Black Powder" GX level to arrive.
    I've been thinking about upgrading the wheels to WTB Asym i29 on Hope Pro 4 hubs

Thinking to get orange hubs - what do you thinks about the color scheme?
    Black Powder + Orange Hubs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Transition Sentinel-img_1687.jpg

Not a great picture or the color scheme your looking for but I like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts View Post
    The NX cuts to many corners, specifically with suspension. The GX is the sweet spot for me.
    I am leaning towards GX as well...
    Another thing in favor of the X01 build though is the TRS+ hub, which has as many as 60 teeth, i.e. a engagement of 6 degrees only.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    I am leaning towards GX as well...
    Another thing in favor of the X01 build though is the TRS+ hub, which has as many as 60 teeth, i.e. a engagement of 6 degrees only.
    That was a drawback for me (waiting on a gx scout) but I figure Iíll run the novatecs till they break and upgrade. But for me personally the xo over gx wasnít enough for me to go xo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    are any of you on a size XL?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip2 View Post
    The Range 9 and Primer were my favorite 29ers Iíve had in the past couple years. Based off that I will describe the two and than tell you how the Sentinel compared.

Range 9:
    Great review and comparisons. What year Range 9 did you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Great review and comparisons. What year Range 9 did you have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Coming back to the Sentinel GX build, which has the Rockshox Lyrik fork. Do you know if the Novatec hub comes with Torque Caps?

I am not even sure if Novatec manufactures Torque Caps. However, it seems there are 3rd party alternatives: https://www.ebay.com/p/Novatec-Hub-T...r=601385023191
    Last edited by F-Bomb; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:27 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    Coming back to the Sentinel GX build, which has the Rockshox Lyrik fork. Do you know if the Novatec hub comes with Torque Caps?

I am not even sure if Novatec manufactures Torque Caps. However, it seems there are 3rd party alternatives: https://www.ebay.com/p/Novatec-Hub-T...r=601385023191
    The GX build hubs are not a torque cap model, and that 3rd party part is not compatible with the particular hub we spec. Non torque cap hubs work just fine in a torque cap fork, you just don't get the full stiffness benefit that SRAM markets from that system...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Who's got some good shock settings for the Sentinel? 185lb rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Dpx2?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    On mine Iíve found rider weight plus 20. Tr recommends rebound all they way out,
    Then In three clicks

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Rider weight + 20psi gives 35% sag? I was way off then. 175psi looked about right (185lb rider) as far as sag on the shock shaft, but I didn't actually measure it. I figure the air can on this thing needs grease like most other air shocks do out of the box.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I didnít do anything to mine but set pressure, I measured it and at first I was at 19mm (scout) Iíve since moved it up to 17ish mm, the recommended measurement on the scout is 17-19mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Measured everything up, and sure enough, ended up at 205-210psi. Definitely more balanced, so far. Will mess with the clickers next.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    Measured everything up, and sure enough, ended up at 205-210psi. Definitely more balanced, so far. Will mess with the clickers next.
    Glad that worked!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anybody in the front range of Colorado with this bike? Debating between an enduro coil or this guy..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    a Tranny or a Spesh, how is that even a question??

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yes, I know I know.. I even grew up in WA but I work at a Specialized dealer so I can get an enduro pretty easily. Just wondering if anybody near Denver has bought a sentinel yet to comment on it's ability for ascending in the area

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i can comment on that too. push the pedals, it ascends. pretty well i reckon. going up in BC and CO is remarkably similar. come to think of it, going up is also similar in most places in the world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    i can comment on that too. push the pedals, it ascends. pretty well i reckon. going up in BC and CO is remarkably similar. come to think of it, going up is also similar in most places in the world.
    Going up in CO I would say is a lot different than going up in WA or BC.. Compared to the nice logging roads in the PNW or even climbing trails, most of CO ascending is on technical rocky up. I'm coming from a '16 Reign which isn't the best climber so I'm guessing that the Sentinel will do better

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123