Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Transition guys - smuggler ride question

8K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Placek 
#1 ·
Now that the news it out can you give your thoughts on how the Smuggler fits into the lineup with only 111mm of rear travel?

As someone who has been on both a newer Bandit 29 and Covert 29 I'm wondering what end of the spectrum the Smuggler hits. The Bandit 29 was a good peddler, but seemed to get a little overwhelmed in the chunky high speed. The Covert 29 hammers chunky high speed however in my opinion is a tradeoff for pedaling efficiency and snappiness. Thanks

#2 ·
The Smuggler has 115mm of rear suspension travel, 5mm down on the Bandit. The fork has 10mm more than the Bandit.
It has a shorter chainstay and it should climb better. It is definitely on my radar for my next bike.

#3 ·
I think you have us mixed up with another brand ;)

The Smuggler is definitely "different" than both the Bandit 29 and Covert 29. But all in good ways.

As CannondaleF9 pointed out, your are only 5mm down on rear wheel travel but you are gaining the 130mm Pike which is a major improvement in DH performance and confidence compared to the 32 Float 120.

Suspension performance is much improved. Pedaling is equally improved over both the Bandit 29 and Covert 29. Travel is closer to the Bandit, but the chassis is much stiffer, the head angle is slacker, chainstays are shorter.

If you liked aspects of both the Bandit 29 and Covert 29 I think you will be blown away by the Smuggler.

#10 ·
I think you have us mixed up with another brand ;)

The Smuggler is definitely "different" than both the Bandit 29 and Covert 29. But all in good ways.

As CannondaleF9 pointed out, your are only 5mm down on rear wheel travel but you are gaining the 130mm Pike which is a major improvement in DH performance and confidence compared to the 32 Float 120.

Suspension performance is much improved. Pedaling is equally improved over both the Bandit 29 and Covert 29. Travel is closer to the Bandit, but the chassis is much stiffer, the head angle is slacker, chainstays are shorter.

If you liked aspects of both the Bandit 29 and Covert 29 I think you will be blown away by the Smuggler.
Thanks guys. I preordered a black smuggler frame. XL baaaaaaabby.

Any reason why I could not run a 140mm fork up front?

The reason I'm asking is I have a fox 34 at 140mm that installed an avalanche damper in. The thing is completely dialed now.

#16 ·
Guys

From all bikes i looked for this season Smuggler is prettiest - this clean build - internal cable routing and no FR-Dir mount - just like i wanted.
Moreover Geo is almost as like Spec Enduro.
The biggest competitors are now SC Tallboy LT and Banshee Prime - both longer travel and same 140mm fork.

I know numbers are not always all but is that 115 travel enough - enough for AM/Enduro.
I'm just moving from Anthem 29 and need something definitely more Enduro oriented but still not as aggressive as WFO.

#17 ·
Placek - while I dont have the bike I feel I can speak to your issue. Yes this biek does have less travel and will ride like a much bigger bike than the Anthem ever could. the Smugler I am sure will be more than capable of clearing pretty much any line you choose to pick with out worry of damaging it. I'm looking to possiable it a Smuggler frame in the future.

All this being said, it is a shorter travel bike. It will be harder to get through some of the bigger line, it will be rougher on you while hitting bigger lines.

But it will be a more rounded bike than many others out there I bet. It should pedal pretty well. It can take a water bottle in a useable location (or to hold a light battery) it is fairly light for what it is. It will give you alot more trail feed back than bigger bikes (some like this some dont) and should be more playful and the bigger bikes out there.

As a reference point I am also looking into the Prime and the Tallboy LT.

#18 ·
Unfortunately i have to take in account that my actual Anthem has 120 fork and changing it to 130/115 is only a 10% of a change.
Geometry for sure is more important matrix and Transition is expected to improve comfort, but as You mentioned will be harder to hit bigger lines - this is my biggest concern.
On Anthem i could ride between rocks, now i'd like to take them over - longer travell/fork matters....i think

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.