'All over it!'

Transition Covert - Proposed Build.

Hi all,

I have been lurking around both the Transition and Knolly forums trying to narrow my choice between the Covert and the Chilcotin. Ultimatley, it has come down to seeing some fantastic reviews surrounding the Covert and it's application, which appeals to my riding style and the fact that it's better value for money with a lower financial outlay.

So, I am coming from an overbuilt Nicolai Helius FR which currently weighs in at around 37lb. Whilst the Nicolai has been a fantastic bike over the last four years, I am now in the market for something more AM in application, but can still take the hits as and when I feel more adventurous. I plan to start off with an RP23 shock and see how this goes, as I currently run a CCDB. I weight in the region of 220lb and stand at 6ft 4 so will certainly be going for a large frame.
    The spreadsheet below details the preliminary build spec which weights in at a little over 30lb (that is if I haven't forgotton or failed to account for any parts etc). Any thoughts or advice regarding the build spec would be greatly appreciated, particually concerning fork choice as I am really undecided and uncertain about the Fox Float 36 at my weight -I have only ever had coil and there seems to be less and less coil forks on the market.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Covert - Proposed Build.-covert.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice build. Is it just the Float spring cartridge that you're unsure of? I've had 3 air-sprung 36s - an '08 RC2, an '11 R, and currently on a '12 TALAS RLC - and I've never had any issues with air leaking or seals giving up. Granted, I'm only 200lbs in my kit. I would think that at 220lbs you have no reason to be worried about the 36 chassis; it's stiff. What fork are you running on your Helius?

I would certainly go for the '13 RC2 Float over a RLC though. Who wants a lockout on a burly AM fork? I certainly never use mine - I rarely use the travel-adjust for that matter. When I next have 390 (!) burning a hole in my pocket I'll send it to Mojo for a Float RC2 transplant.

'All over it!'

Fork choice...

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Nice build. Is it just the Float spring cartridge that you're unsure of? I've had 3 air-sprung 36s - an '08 RC2, an '11 R, and currently on a '12 TALAS RLC - and I've never had any issues with air leaking or seals giving up. Granted, I'm only 200lbs in my kit. I would think that at 220lbs you have no reason to be worried about the 36 chassis; it's stiff. What fork are you running on your Helius?

I would certainly go for the '13 RC2 Float over a RLC though. Who wants a lockout on a burly AM fork? I certainly never use mine - I rarely use the travel-adjust for that matter. When I next have 390 (!) burning a hole in my pocket I'll send it to Mojo for a Float RC2 transplant.
    I am currently running a coil totem on my FR, hence it's burly build. With regard to the Fox Float - I have heard that many larger riders find it very difficult to find the sweet spot with air forks and the pressure used, I have no concerns regarding the chassis though and have always had great results with the RX Lyrik Coil U-Turn, of which I am sure they have stopped making as everywhere don't seem to stock them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like a nice build. Have you considered Marzocchi 55 Evo ti?

mtbr member
    Or consider a Vengeance. Great fork.

'All over it!'
    I must admit, I would even consider the new 150mm offerings by RS (with 20mm maxle) - I'm just not sure they would satisfy my 220lb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Or consider a Vengeance. Great fork.
    Slant 34mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Are you buying the 2013 Covert? More travel and longer stroke shock will improve this bike IMO. Marzochi 55 coil?

jtd
    mtbr member
    I love the 36 float rc2 on my Covert. I have the high volume mod to the air spring side which makes a huge difference IMO.

As for the build... I would get a dropper post. For a gram counter it is definitely more weight, but it is a 'game changer' for this type of bike.

'All over it!'
    Great responses - many thanks, although I am intrigued by the Bandit. It seems as though this may be another option but again, would a Bandit with the build previously mentioned be suitable for 220lb frame? I am sure it's suitable for my application but again, it all comes down to the fork:
    I must add that the new bike will also be fulfilling my 'road' commuting details of up to 20 miles per day so it really does need to qualify as an AM bike.
    With the advances in shock technology, I am more than happy to forego the coil option and opt for the RP23 but it's stiffness that I like and with the 142x12 rear, both these bikes seem to tick the boxes.

160mm - Covert.
    150mm - Bandit.