Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27
    mtbr member
    i have loaded dh wheels. i will put thinner tires for non park riding, but wondering if it is better to get a wheelset that is tubeless or change forks.

i wonder about the talas 180, but i don't know if i can spend a grand on this bike. i can sell my current fork but i don't know how much to ask for it
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thread Revival! Give me reason to keep or sell this!

Keep and load a dual crown? Whats the max spring length i can go for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Because you will kick yourself in the ass at some point for selling it!!

No need for a dual crown, just a silky smooth single crown 180mm fork and you are good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guswalls View Post
    i have loaded dh wheels. i will put thinner tires for non park riding, but wondering if it is better to get a wheelset that is tubeless or change forks.

i wonder about the talas 180, but i don't know if i can spend a grand on this bike. i can sell my current fork but i don't know how much to ask for it
    Donít wonder about the TALAS 180; I think itís worth every penny!

We do a lot of climbing on and around Galbraith and I use my BR for all of it. If you drop the TALAS to 140mm and raise the seat post it makes for a good climber, but you probably know that.
    Trever M. McDermott

'11 Transition Bike Co. Bottlerocket
    '06 Transition Bike Co. Vagrant
    '95 Gary Fisher Supercaliber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgjeff View Post
    Because you will kick yourself in the ass at some point for selling it!!

No need for a dual crown, just a silky smooth single crown 180mm fork and you are good!
    I agree!
    Trever M. McDermott

'11 Transition Bike Co. Bottlerocket
    '06 Transition Bike Co. Vagrant
    '95 Gary Fisher Supercaliber

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Transition Bottlerocket Photo Album

V1

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bottlerocket Photo Album-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371958152.099656.jpg  

Last edited by hed1; 09-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

can someone tell me what is the long and what the short setting in the rear?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    in that pic it is in the short setting.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That color scheme with the silver and purple is pretty rad.

also, is that a tapered HT? What year did Transition do that?

-joel

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Transition Bottlerocket Photo Album

2011. in 2012 TR changed to the new droput system. Then it died.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Almost put mine up for sale last weekend. I was eyeballing the GT Distortion in hopes of something that will climb well, but still pop and be fun to ride on trails. Its climbing prowess did not make up for the loss in stability and descending confidence I have with the BR. Maybe I didn't give the GT a fair enough trial, but I rode it back to back with the BR and the BR is just rad.

So, maybe I just need to make the BR a better climber. Suspension wise, I have a coil totem and a dhx 5. I'm going to trade rear shocks with my buddy that has a BR also and see if I like the dhx 5 air. Otherwise, is the RP23 enough shock for this bike? I'd probably keep the dhx for lift access days.

In terms of a fork, I like the geo of a 180mm fork for descending. Climbing with the totem is not a joyous occasion, but I don't know if its the geo or the weight. If I picked up a 180mm air sprung fork, would climbing still feel the same? Or since the geo is still mostly the same, should I be looking at a 160mm fork? Is the 180 talas the way to go?

I think my Crossmax SX wheels are a pretty good balance of weight/strength. But the 2.5 minion DHF/R are probably not the lightest tires out there. If I remember, there's a couple companies that make tires with very similar tread design. Like the Spec butcher. Any tires for the Northwest that someone can recommend?

Looking forward to another season aboard the BR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Your best bet to help with climbing is lighter tires. i would try that before ditching the coil suspension. 66 deg HA with a totem right? I dont think thats too slack for climbing unless youre xc racing.. Butcher Control 2.3"s front and back (tubeless) or even an sx 2.5 on the front, should save you quite a bit of weight and still be nice and grippy.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    i am still selling mine. it has been on pink bike for too long without any real bites. if anybody is interested or knows someone interested in a full build or a large raw frame with extras. please pm me. i listed the bike on this site but could not figure out how to link the post to the forums.
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    good luck. Its so hard these days to sell 26" 'freeride' bikes these days for a worthwhile amount of money. I had my blindside for sale for months best offer I got was $1300 (I put 4 grand into it). Screw that, Ill just keep it.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I guess I hadn't thought of going tubeless. I always thought of it being more of a hassle. But I guess it just requires some forethought. I'll have to go look and check out the process.

My friend wanted to try coil so we are still going to trade just to demo it. Doesn't hurt anything.

I'm also checking if I can get my hands on the rocker from the last gen BR and blindside. From what I've read (in only two spots) is that the rear end just feels stiffer in the 130 mode. Maybe that'll be enough to help with climbs too. Anyone have that experience?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    stopped for a quick pic along a service road climb to the goods.

I still haven't made any changes in terms of lightening her up yet. My rear tire is starting to look pretty beat. I'll be looking at tires pretty soon. I could probably stand to go with a smaller rear rotor to save a smidgen of weight also.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27