Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 651 to 679 of 679
  1. #651
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guswalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    186
    i have loaded dh wheels. i will put thinner tires for non park riding, but wondering if it is better to get a wheelset that is tubeless or change forks.

    i wonder about the talas 180, but i don't know if i can spend a grand on this bike. i can sell my current fork but i don't know how much to ask for it
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

  2. #652
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    49
    Thread Revival! Give me reason to keep or sell this!

    Keep and load a dual crown? Whats the max spring length i can go for?


  3. #653
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    154
    Because you will kick yourself in the ass at some point for selling it!!

    No need for a dual crown, just a silky smooth single crown 180mm fork and you are good!

  4. #654
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 01-0041's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by guswalls View Post
    i have loaded dh wheels. i will put thinner tires for non park riding, but wondering if it is better to get a wheelset that is tubeless or change forks.

    i wonder about the talas 180, but i don't know if i can spend a grand on this bike. i can sell my current fork but i don't know how much to ask for it
    Donít wonder about the TALAS 180; I think itís worth every penny!

    We do a lot of climbing on and around Galbraith and I use my BR for all of it. If you drop the TALAS to 140mm and raise the seat post it makes for a good climber, but you probably know that.
    '15 Santa Cruz Bronson CC
    '14 Norco Tactic LE
    '14 Transition Bike Co. TR500

  5. #655
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 01-0041's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by cgjeff View Post
    Because you will kick yourself in the ass at some point for selling it!!

    No need for a dual crown, just a silky smooth single crown 180mm fork and you are good!
    I agree!
    '15 Santa Cruz Bronson CC
    '14 Norco Tactic LE
    '14 Transition Bike Co. TR500

  6. #656
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4

    Transition Bottlerocket Photo Album

    V1

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bottlerocket Photo Album-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371958152.099656.jpg  

    Last edited by hed1; 09-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.

  7. #657
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    126

    can someone tell me what is the long and what the short setting in the rear?

  8. #658
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,376
    in that pic it is in the short setting.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

  9. #659
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    956
    That color scheme with the silver and purple is pretty rad.

    also, is that a tapered HT? What year did Transition do that?

    -joel

  10. #660
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    126

    Transition Bottlerocket Photo Album

    2011. in 2012 TR changed to the new droput system. Then it died.

  11. #661
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    956
    Almost put mine up for sale last weekend. I was eyeballing the GT Distortion in hopes of something that will climb well, but still pop and be fun to ride on trails. Its climbing prowess did not make up for the loss in stability and descending confidence I have with the BR. Maybe I didn't give the GT a fair enough trial, but I rode it back to back with the BR and the BR is just rad.

    So, maybe I just need to make the BR a better climber. Suspension wise, I have a coil totem and a dhx 5. I'm going to trade rear shocks with my buddy that has a BR also and see if I like the dhx 5 air. Otherwise, is the RP23 enough shock for this bike? I'd probably keep the dhx for lift access days.

    In terms of a fork, I like the geo of a 180mm fork for descending. Climbing with the totem is not a joyous occasion, but I don't know if its the geo or the weight. If I picked up a 180mm air sprung fork, would climbing still feel the same? Or since the geo is still mostly the same, should I be looking at a 160mm fork? Is the 180 talas the way to go?

    I think my Crossmax SX wheels are a pretty good balance of weight/strength. But the 2.5 minion DHF/R are probably not the lightest tires out there. If I remember, there's a couple companies that make tires with very similar tread design. Like the Spec butcher. Any tires for the Northwest that someone can recommend?

    Looking forward to another season aboard the BR.

  12. #662
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,376
    Your best bet to help with climbing is lighter tires. i would try that before ditching the coil suspension. 66 deg HA with a totem right? I dont think thats too slack for climbing unless youre xc racing.. Butcher Control 2.3"s front and back (tubeless) or even an sx 2.5 on the front, should save you quite a bit of weight and still be nice and grippy.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

  13. #663
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guswalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    186
    i am still selling mine. it has been on pink bike for too long without any real bites. if anybody is interested or knows someone interested in a full build or a large raw frame with extras. please pm me. i listed the bike on this site but could not figure out how to link the post to the forums.
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

  14. #664
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,376
    good luck. Its so hard these days to sell 26" 'freeride' bikes these days for a worthwhile amount of money. I had my blindside for sale for months best offer I got was $1300 (I put 4 grand into it). Screw that, Ill just keep it.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

  15. #665
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    956
    I guess I hadn't thought of going tubeless. I always thought of it being more of a hassle. But I guess it just requires some forethought. I'll have to go look and check out the process.

    My friend wanted to try coil so we are still going to trade just to demo it. Doesn't hurt anything.

    I'm also checking if I can get my hands on the rocker from the last gen BR and blindside. From what I've read (in only two spots) is that the rear end just feels stiffer in the 130 mode. Maybe that'll be enough to help with climbs too. Anyone have that experience?

  16. #666
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    956
    stopped for a quick pic along a service road climb to the goods.



    I still haven't made any changes in terms of lightening her up yet. My rear tire is starting to look pretty beat. I'll be looking at tires pretty soon. I could probably stand to go with a smaller rear rotor to save a smidgen of weight also.

  17. #667
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    74

    help with what year this is

    anybody know what year this bottlerocket is?Transition Bottlerocket Photo Album-01313_24bainhoss8_600x450.jpg

  18. #668
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    956
    Pretty sure it's 2010

  19. #669
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    74
    sweet thank you very much, and is $700 a good buy price with x9 derailer, saint crank, fox float fork and shock? I want to put an 11 spd cassette and dropper post, light tires and use it as an all mountain

  20. #670
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    956
    $700 seems alright to me. Its not going to be the best AM bike out there. Its a super fun bike, but I wouldn't list climbing as one of its strengths.

  21. #671
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    $700 seems alright to me. Its not going to be the best AM bike out there. Its a super fun bike, but I wouldn't list climbing as one of its strengths.
    I hear you, right now I ride a 2011 Intense Tracer 2 weighs 33 lbs, marzocchi fork, 3x10 set up and I climb it everywhere...I dont mind pushing it up every now and again, but I need it to be solid on the downhill and am willing to sacrifice on the uphill to get there

  22. #672
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    32
    I used mine as a trail/do-everything bike. The only times I felt limited were on steep climbs (already discussed) and really steep, rocky descents. It handled everything reasonably well. I just had to slow down and pick my lines carefully when things got steep and technical.

  23. #673
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    74
    sounds good to me, i've been practicing going faster on the downhill rocky technical sections of my local singletrack and scanning the trail further ahead so as to pick the best line, i'm going to pull the trigger on this bike, thanks for the info

  24. #674
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ron m.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    887
    Broke my Heckler swingarm (for the third time), so I shopped for an indestructible frame and found a Bottlerocket (2 lbs heavier!). Transferred all my parts to the frame but didn't like all the scratches so I stripped and semi-polished the frame (too much work to do chrome-like finish). Also changed out the bearings, bored out seat post tube (dropper post) and installed an Angleset (66.1 deg now). Frame and fork decals to come.

    I know, I know... it's the "limited edition" pink but it was all scratched up.
    Transition Bottlerocket Photo Album-tbr2.jpg

    Quick strip, sand, buff and polish job.

    Transition Bottlerocket Photo Album-tbr-polish.jpg

  25. #675
    mamadirt
    Reputation: mamadirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    249
    Wanted one of these for years - picked up this frame off pinkbike a few weeks ago and I freakin' love it!! Transferred the kit off my Cove STD (that thing was a blast but waay overkill and too heavy for my 9 stone heft ) and rebuilt the rear wheel = perfect DH bike for tiny folk. I've always been a coil fan but the Totem 2 Steps and BOS Vip'r have been faultless so far and hey, I can actually lift this thing over gates . . . win!!

    Name:  p2pb12961897.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  48.0 KB

    None in Newport, United Kingdom - photo by mama-dirt - Pinkbike

    Name:  p2pb12961895.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  47.2 KB

    None in Newport, United Kingdom - photo by mama-dirt - Pinkbike
    Welcome to the Hotel California . . .

  26. #676
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Broke my Heckler swingarm (for the third time), so I shopped for an indestructible frame and found a Bottlerocket (2 lbs heavier!). Transferred all my parts to the frame but didn't like all the scratches so I stripped and semi-polished the frame (too much work to do chrome-like finish). Also changed out the bearings, bored out seat post tube (dropper post) and installed an Angleset (66.1 deg now). Frame and fork decals to come.

    I know, I know... it's the "limited edition" pink but it was all scratched up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tbr2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	1021119

    Quick strip, sand, buff and polish job.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tbr polish.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	1021118
    Bike looks excellent! I'm about to build one up and possibly strip the paint. Yours has sealed the deal for me. Did you clear coat it or just leave it? And I noticed the dropper post, how does it pedal?

  27. #677
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ron m.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcrew11 View Post
    Bike looks excellent! I'm about to build one up and possibly strip the paint. Yours has sealed the deal for me. Did you clear coat it or just leave it? And I noticed the dropper post, how does it pedal?
    Thanks, Dcrew.

    I have mixed feelings about this bike as a trail bike. Here are my thoughts:
    Pros
    -short rear chainstays equal playful bike
    - surprisingly super-fast on the descents (I beat all my Heckler Strava times the first time I rode this bike... even had a top-ten on a pretty gnarly section... 10-second improvement on a 1 minute track)
    - jumps really well

    Cons
    - heavy as a mofo (35.7 lbs... I've read guys who have theirs at 28 lbs so you can lighten it up if you're judicious with your parts)
    - not pedal-efficient (but this could be due to my tire choice and the fact that it is heavy). I made the mistake of demo-ing the new Mojo 3 (with the big fat 2.8 tires) and as much as I hate pedaling, I took off on the Mojo. When I got back on this bike, I wanted to cry.

    Really, if you built the legs up enough (and maybe have lighter wheels/tires), this could be an AWESOME trail bike. I have an angleset on it too which makes its geometry very modern. I am even faster on this bike than I am on the new Nomad.

    No clear coat on the surface... I just periodically give it a polish when it dulls up (pretty easy).

    And yes, the dropper post is a must. Trail riding will never be the same without one. If you don't want to bore out the seat tube, you can buy a 27.2 dropper post (KS, X-fusion, Gravity) and use a shim.

    Post your project when you're done!

  28. #678
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Thanks, Dcrew.

    I have mixed feelings about this bike as a trail bike. Here are my thoughts:
    Pros
    -short rear chainstays equal playful bike
    - surprisingly super-fast on the descents (I beat all my Heckler Strava times the first time I rode this bike... even had a top-ten on a pretty gnarly section... 10-second improvement on a 1 minute track)
    - jumps really well

    Cons
    - heavy as a mofo (35.7 lbs... I've read guys who have theirs at 28 lbs so you can lighten it up if you're judicious with your parts)
    - not pedal-efficient (but this could be due to my tire choice and the fact that it is heavy). I made the mistake of demo-ing the new Mojo 3 (with the big fat 2.8 tires) and as much as I hate pedaling, I took off on the Mojo. When I got back on this bike, I wanted to cry.

    Really, if you built the legs up enough (and maybe have lighter wheels/tires), this could be an AWESOME trail bike. I have an angleset on it too which makes its geometry very modern. I am even faster on this bike than I am on the new Nomad.

    No clear coat on the surface... I just periodically give it a polish when it dulls up (pretty easy).

    And yes, the dropper post is a must. Trail riding will never be the same without one. If you don't want to bore out the seat tube, you can buy a 27.2 dropper post (KS, X-fusion, Gravity) and use a shim.

    Post your project when you're done!
    Thanks for the response! I'm glad it does well on the freeride/DH side. It is a beast of a bike stock, so I'm working on putting this build on a diet. I'll have to post up how it is going! Would a lockout function on the rear help in climbing or is it the general geometry and front fork that is the culprit in your opinion?

    Also what did you use to strip the frame paint?

  29. #679
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ron m.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcrew11 View Post
    Thanks for the response! I'm glad it does well on the freeride/DH side. It is a beast of a bike stock, so I'm working on putting this build on a diet. I'll have to post up how it is going! Would a lockout function on the rear help in climbing or is it the general geometry and front fork that is the culprit in your opinion?

    Also what did you use to strip the frame paint?
    I think the heft and rotational weight are the most issues I have from a climbing perspective (I don't have an issue with pedal bob necessarily).

    I used regular paint stripper. Transition is notorious for thin paint so thank them for that.

    Here's other pics of the BR (and other stuff):

    All Photo Album - Pinkbike

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •