Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quick question....why is the hole in the triangle between the seat post and the top tube smaller on some frames and larger on others? Even the stock photos on Transition's site has frames with small round holes and others with larger triangular holes on the frame color photo. Is it the size of the frame?

Oh yeah.....keep the pics coming!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdoggie View Post
    Quick question....why is the hole in the triangle between the seat post and the top tube smaller on some frames and larger on others? Even the stock photos on Transition's site has frames with small round holes and others with larger triangular holes on the frame color photo. Is it the size of the frame?

konahonzo

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax_Eco View Post
    Spokes diameter, please.
    DTSwiss comps, double-butted, alum nipps.(14/15g)
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cool shot I thought, though not much of a Bandit 29 product shot... sure is fun to rip the local singletrack though!

(Photo Credit - Morgan Taylor of NSMB.com)
    Last edited by LostBoyScout; 03-18-2012 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    eurospek....clever....i guess you answered my question though

Lostboyscout...awesome photo man. Love those action shots.
    Last edited by rawdoggie; 03-18-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Cool shot I thought, though not much of a Bandit 29 product shot... sure is fun to rip the local singletrack thought!
    (Photo Credit - Morgan Taylor of NSMB.com)
    Great shot!

Is that a small bear or a dog in the background?
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mine arrives at the LBS tuuuuuuuesday.... AHHHHHHHHHH can't wait

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowball View Post
    Great shot!

Is that a small bear or a dog in the background?
    Good eye, it's a 6 month old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Tires

@LostBoySout,
    How do you like the HD / NN combo for PNW riding? I am close to ordering my Bandit and need to decide on tires. Would you recommend the same setup or maybe NN 2.35/2.25 f/r or HD f/r?

Thanks

mtbr member
    another question, how is the hans damphs grip compared to ardent 2.4 in loose over hard, or debris over hard situations?
    Pivot mach 6!

Group Hug Participant

sizing questions

Anyone here around 5'8" riding a BD29? I've ridden a medium Prime and currently ride a medium Paradox. The Prime felt a little big, but imagine I'd get used to it pretty quick. However, the Bandit has longer chainstays. I haven't looked too closely at the reach yet.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Not sure if this is the case for Transition, but for the Kona Satori it is based on frame size, the large the frame the larger the space.

Quote Originally Posted by rawdoggie View Post

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I went by the LBS to take a peek at my new bike! He was just starting to put it together. The pewter color looks AMAZING in person!

I am so stoked. Pick it up tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Had an awesome weekend in Moab with the Bandit.. This bike continues to amaze me.

Intense 951, Transition Bandit 29

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    [QUOTE=FJDan;9121181]Had an awesome weekend in Moab with the Bandit.. This bike continues to amaze me.

It's nice to see the landing on that Amasa drop was fixed, it was getting a little sandybombholeish.

Good looking rig. Congrats!

JMH

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Picked mine up tonight! First ride tomorrow morning asap. I can't wait! It is SO nice. Ridiculous. I love the bike and can't speak highly enough about my LBS.

Transition Bandit 29 « Cutters Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Nice bike brah the Mrp 2x or truvativ 2x are good products but mine has caused trouble and after 2 months ive taken it off, I'll probably get a twinty 2x guide thing when they become available. Some of the teeth on the wheels snapped and the small arm think that is supposed to lock it in place would come loose and derail the chain. the 1x models have a small screw on the end of the arm that locks it firmly whereas the new ones don't
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Nice bike brah the Mrp 2x or truvativ 2x are good products but mine has caused trouble and after 2 months ive taken it off, I'll probably get a twinty 2x guide thing when they become available. Some of the teeth on the wheels snapped and the small arm think that is supposed to lock it in place would come loose and derail the chain. the 1x models have a small screw on the end of the arm that locks it firmly whereas the new ones don't
    Good to know. Was planning on picking one of them up.

Have you considered the Stinger? I've used them in the past and never had any issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike View Post
    @LostBoySout,
    How do you like the HD / NN combo for PNW riding? I am close to ordering my Bandit and need to decide on tires. Would you recommend the same setup or maybe NN 2.35/2.25 f/r or HD f/r?

Thanks
    I only had one ride on the Ardents and have only had a few rides on the HD/NN setup, so I can't offer a really well-rounded opinion yet. However there is no doubt in my mind I made the right decision. The Hans Dampf is a rediculously grippy tire. It has a grippier compound than the Nobby Nic (Running Trailstar HD front, Pacestar NN rear), perfect for pointing over wet roots and such. The Ardent is a faster tire, but for PNW I'll take the drop in speed to stick in gnarly situations every time.

The NN rear is to save some weight and have a longer lasting tire (I imagine), since I'm not as fussed about having crazy-glue traction back there - and the NN climbs very well.

Also with ZTR Flows, they make the perfect tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Only had two rides so far, but here's my first impressions. I'm coming off a Covert V2.

First impression when I sat on the bike was "holy crap, that frontwheel really sticks out", but once I started rolling and getting into some terrain that feeling quickly disappeared and I forgot all about wheel size. Except that even with my thin and useless winter legs it felt like I was rolling over obstacles more smoothly and with less effort. Win!
    It climbs well and so far I haven't bothered with the propedal/lockout on shock nor fork, and I suspect it'll climb even better once I get some miles into my legs again. Going down it just wants to go faster and faster.

So far the default buildkit of all-X7 seems to work nice enough, shifting is with the usual SRAM feeling; instant and snappy.

My only changes from the build kit so far is Hans Dampft tires and a Renthal Fatbar. Which at 780mm is my widest bar ever, stable and lovely feeling but I've snugged a few trees with it already so it takes some getting used to the width. I'm also going to swap the saddle for my old SDG Bel Air, the Transition saddles are a bit to wide at the nose for my buttocks' taste. I'm going to swap the wheels for my own built ZTR Flow rims on Hope/DT 240s once I get the 142mm conversion thingies, shaving off around 400g on the wheels.

The frame itself looks awesome, except for the front-derailleur. The front-derailleur area with the dual pull high direct mount just looks too busy. But that's small complaint, and merely a visual thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-img_0805.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-img_0807.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Picked mine up tonight....

Additions/changes from stock:
    KS Dropper post
    Hope/Stans Flow wheels
    MRP 2x
    Chromag stem/bars
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf tubless
    Code brakes

Now to go and test it on my favorite loop...

mtbr member
    Got maaa wheeeels... and everything else.

BEFORE shot:

Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bandit 58!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New Bandit 29, Large

Here's my new Bandit, lots of new parts with some old ones I had lying around. The bike is definitely more capable than I am.. which I think is a good problem to have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-img_20120318_142408.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    looks cold there...

feels humid here...
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Picked it up Saturday!

Man.....the folks at Transition sure are making one hell of a frame. Quality is amazing. Just waiting on the Fox Float 34 from FOX.
    If your in the Pittsburgh, PA area contact Scholls for a good price on the frame!

mtbr member
    ... AND AFTER

sorry for the crappy phone pic.

Sits at 30 pounds, with Reverb and pedals. Couldn't be happier with the wait.
    Only pedaled it around the hood for a bit, there's lots of ice here still. But if that is an indicator, it felt awesome! Size is great, doesn't even feel like a 29er. And I concur with the feeling of being IN the bike. I think we have a winner here gentlemen!

Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

?s

Most of the intended upgrades are complete.

I'd like to hear what you think of this after about a month of riding it on the North Shore? I read your inital thoughts of it on NSMB and I'm looking at a similar build from Matt... How do you like the Nobby Nic/Hans Dampf combo for the wet? I had 26 NNs and really couldn't stand them once any moisture hit the trails (although that was the old triple compound).

Is there anything that you'd change now that you didn't do when your first got it?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just finished building my Bandit 29. Full XT 2x10 build with a Talas, Easton Haven Carbon bar, Haven stem, Stan's Flow rims, Reverb post, and Ardent 2.4 and 2.25 tires.

The bike climbs better than my Spyder XC bike and is super fun to bomb the descents with. I'd say the Talas fork is unnecessary. I have yet to need to drop it to 110mm for climbing.

What is the verdict on using a chain guide or bash guard? I have the new Blackspire 2 x 10 guide on order, but I really don't think I need it.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketRockett View Post
    I just finished building my Bandit 29. Full XT 2x10 build with a Talas, Easton Haven Carbon bar, Haven stem, Stan's Flow rims, Reverb post, and Ardent 2.4 and 2.25 tires.

The bike climbs better than my Spyder XC bike and is super fun to bomb the descents with. I'd say the Talas fork is unnecessary. I have yet to need to drop it to 110mm for climbing.

What is the verdict on using a chain guide or bash guard? I have the new Blackspire 2 x 10 guide on order, but I really don't think I need it.
    I'm running light weight bash and GamutUSA P30 Boomerang. I think it comes in handy just for reducing the possibility of chain drop and annoying chain slap, and reduced carnage via chain-ring to the leg or other extremities. If you do any drops, jumps or rocky sections (in other words...not just buff single track) I feel, IMPO, it's worth it.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Lowball,

Are you running a single or double up front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyOrange View Post
    I'd like to hear what you think of this after about a month of riding it on the North Shore? I read your inital thoughts of it on NSMB and I'm looking at a similar build from Matt... How do you like the Nobby Nic/Hans Dampf combo for the wet? I had 26 NNs and really couldn't stand them once any moisture hit the trails (although that was the old triple compound).

Is there anything that you'd change now that you didn't do when your first got it?

Thanks
    Hey! Still loving the bike. I find when I'm off the bike I often wonder if a 26" bike like the Rune wouldn't be the better all-rounder. When I'm riding, I never have those kinds of thoughts. I haven't been able to get out a ton yet still unfortunately, but have done a few laps on Fromme and so far I can say the bike is excellent in the steep stuff, excellent in the rough stuff, and is super fun to carve despite all the internet talk otherwise. It doesn't take big hits as well as my Bottlerocket did but that's to be expected.

As for tires, I can appreciate that a dual NN setup might suck on the wet shore, as I have been noticing the rear end getting squirmy pretty regularly. The HD front has stuck like glue though, and hasn't let me down yet (I'm used to a DHF 3C EXO up front). Dual HD's seem like a good idea for wet weather riding, but the NN has stuck pretty good for climbing.

I tend to be constantly planning the next component / bike, but I can't come up with a better bike for this purpose. The Prime looks excellent too, almost a brother to the Bandit 29 most likely. For 26ers it would be the Chilcotin maybe, but hard to get. I am finding the 29" wheels offer a lot more good than bad, even on the shore. My shuttle bike would be 26", but if I have to pedal it's all about the wagon wheels for me now.

If Transition ever offers a 650B Bandit, I might have to join yet another bandwagon.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketRockett View Post
    Lowball,

Are you running a single or double up front?
    Triple crank with 22/36+bash (so I'll call it a double).
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007

Sedona

El Bandito de shred getting used to it's desert SW home...

mtbr member
    How is she on the climbs? Did you use the pedal platform switch much? Thanks.
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy Joe View Post
    How is she on the climbs? Did you use the pedal platform switch much? Thanks.
    Climbs great! Not an XC bike, but that's not what I was looking for.

I never touch the propedal. The new RP23 behaves so nicely, I set the sag, rebound, and put the propedal in "2" or "1" depending on the trail and let her rip!

Leaving the shock in the "0" open position will get you some bob, particularly in the big ring but there really is no need. Fox's Adaptive Logic works great. I spend almost all of my time in "2"- provides a solid pedaling platform for the climbs without losing small bump sensitivity and gives nice compression dampening for big hits. High speed hits feel almost identical between 0-3 IMHO.

Ride one! You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Karatemonkey- you took down your crashing pic, what gives, lol
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bandit 58!

Might go for a re-do on this on the weekend. See if there's more or less snow.. with the way things have gone this week, maybe more!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by karatemonkey View Post
    Climbs great! Not an XC bike, but that's not what I was looking for.

I never touch the propedal. The new RP23 behaves so nicely, I set the sag, rebound, and put the propedal in "2" or "1" depending on the trail and let her rip!

Leaving the shock in the "0" open position will get you some bob, particularly in the big ring but there really is no need. Fox's Adaptive Logic works great. I spend almost all of my time in "2"- provides a solid pedaling platform for the climbs without losing small bump sensitivity and gives nice compression dampening for big hits. High speed hits feel almost identical between 0-3 IMHO.

Ride one! You won't be disappointed.
    Any pedal strikes in the chunk? BTW, I'm pretty sure the 1-2-3 dial only applies when the propedal switch is engaged

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Any pedal strikes in the chunk?
    Pedal strikes happen more often than I would like. In fact, that is my only gripe with the bike so far. It seems like it's a design constraint of building a LT 29er that handles well, cause the other bikes in this category all have BB's close to the same height. A trade off that I am glad to make 'cause I can be picky where I put my pedals and this bike rips!

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    BTW, I'm pretty sure the 1-2-3 dial only applies when the propedal switch is engaged
    Nope, the new settings for 2012 are... switch off: 0-1-2; switch on: 3 and I am here to tell you it works beautifully. Fox is calling it Adaptive Logic. My butt-force-meter tells me that the engineers at fox finally figured out the whole propedal thing cause this is the first PP shock that i can truely find my sweet spot # for the trail i'm on and set it and forget it. Only time i switch to 3 is on consistent, un-relenting climbs, which where I live means almost never.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    This thread is supposed to be about the bike, not me!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by karatemonkey View Post

Nope, the new settings for 2012 are... switch off: 0-1-2; switch on: 3 and I am here to tell you it works beautifully. Fox is calling it Adaptive Logic. My butt-force-meter tells me that the engineers at fox finally figured out the whole propedal thing cause this is the first PP shock that i can truely find my sweet spot # for the trail i'm on and set it and forget it. Only time i switch to 3 is on consistent, un-relenting climbs, which where I live means almost never.
    Ahh, gotcha, didn't realize they changed things.

On the pedal strikes- I really like this bike but I need to demo one to see how much of an issue it is I guess. I demo'd a T29er and it had close to a 14" bb and no strikes, the Tracer is a bit more pricey tho but I really liked it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    pedal strikes?? i've gone on about 10 long rides on mine so far and i just looked at my pedals and there are no marks at all. maybe i'm lucky but i don't see any issues

mtbr member
    I always thought pedal strikes were controlled by rider skill anyway. I've done it on a few techy uphill trails, where I ride even the highest bb bikes will still strike on most our difficult trails if you don't apply the right skills like correct gear, stroke timing and bike control.
    Pivot mach 6!

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    I always thought pedal strikes were controlled by rider skill anyway. I've done it on a few techy uphill trails, where I ride even the highest bb bikes will still strike on most our difficult trails if you don't apply the right skills like correct gear, stroke timing and bike control.
    I would tend to agree with this as well. I did it on my 2nd ride and went OTB and off the trail...but it was totally rider error. And when you're riding flats you have more pedal to strike too so guess you have to be extra careful to use your skills right!

I felt like my suspension compressed as I was turning a little on the aggressive side...and I was still pedaling putting down the "POWER" and I caught and went off. Cant remember what position I had pro-pedal, but I'm thinking it was 3 (on position) and I was running 200psi which I think is a little light for me @ +200lbs w/o gear
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Here's a few pics of my build-in-progress. I can't wait to finish this bike!
    Bandit 29 (large)
    SRAM XO kit
    Hope/Flow/Schwalbe
    Straitline, Thomson, Deity, Renthal

Maintain internal heights.

Franzitioned
    Jan 2004
    This frame just went straight to the top of my springtime shopping list. Apologies if this has been covered already, but what's the stiffness like at the back with the 142x12 axle? Also, are most people running TALAS 34s? I saw something about black Floats on pre-built bikes...?

I wasn't planning on buying a new bike this year, but I've got a 29er HT with a great wheelset & decent drivetrain that I can plunder for the greater good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    This frame just went straight to the top of my springtime shopping list. Apologies if this has been covered already, but what's the stiffness like at the back with the 142x12 axle? Also, are most people running TALAS 34s? I saw something about black Floats on pre-built bikes...?

I wasn't planning on buying a new bike this year, but I've got a 29er HT with a great wheelset & decent drivetrain that I can plunder for the greater good.
    I'm not someone who really notices flex or stiffness, but on the fork topic tranny said the float is smoother than the talas and customers have been saying the bike climbs so great, it doesn't really need an adjustable fork anyway. My revelation has a 110mm switch but I'm pretty sure it hurts my back, but I could of been sore beforehand, haven't really tested it properly.

There was an issue with getting black float forks though, i'm not exactly sure what it was.
    Pivot mach 6!

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post

Overall stiffness is very good, This includes the rear end. This is not a ride that is prone to rear end wallow.

Most of the black F34 Fox forks that you are seeing in the Btwo9 pics are Floats bought thru Transition. You can get a pretty good deal on one if you buy it with a frame. You don't have to buy the build kit to get the fork deal. I went with a WB Loop 140 and am very happy.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Group Hug Participant
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    Overall stiffness is very good, This includes the rear end. This is not a ride that is prone to rear end wallow.

Most of the black F34 Fox forks that you are seeing in the Btwo9 pics are Floats bought thru Transition. You can get a pretty good deal on one if you buy it with a frame. You don't have to buy the build kit to get the fork deal. I went with a WB Loop 140 and am very happy.
    If you don't mind me asking, where do you get that deal, cause I'll buy it right now. PM me if more appropriate.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast