Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    This will be a sick build!! What roller/guide is that? No chainstay protection?

Chainstay protection.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowball View Post
    Chainstay protection.
    That doesn't look too bad. But what you should really be using is this stuff called Mastic Tape. Its black and stretches similar to electrical tape but it has a thickness of about 2mm. Its easy to apply and can stretch/adhere to any curves or bends on your chainstays or seatstays. We use it at the shop i work at.

You can find it at Home Depot next to the electrical tape.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by FJDan View Post
    That doesn't look too bad. But what you should really be using is this stuff called Mastic Tape. Its black and stretches similar to electrical tape but it has a thickness of about 2mm. Its easy to apply and can stretch/adhere to any curves or bends on your chainstays or seatstays. We use it at the shop i work at.

That sounds like a good solution...but this application, specifically is "hockey stick tape" combo-ed with "shin tape" (also a hockey product) and was also recommend by the LBS +1 other (and comes in an array of colors if you so desire)
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

on a routine expedition

That stuff is great. 3M 2228.

Chain Slap Solutions | Anybody's Bike Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hockey tape works great for a little while but doesn't last well. It'll turn into a greasy mess of glue and fiber over time. But it's cheap enough you can switch it out every other month and avoid this!

My wheelset should be done in a couple days. Add me to the list of people waiting on wheelsets!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Most of the intended upgrades are complete.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post

Looking great, what is the weight?
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    So I ride in SoCal, anyone else find that the stock ardent breaks away unpredictably in corners?
    I'm GNARcissistic

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
    So I ride in SoCal, anyone else find that the stock ardent breaks away unpredictably in corners?
    I live in Norcal and we have lots of loose over hardpack similar to what you ride down south. If you are talking about the stock rear Ardent 2.25, i have no love for it. Much prefer a Panaracer XC CG or Rampage in the rear.

Love the Ardent 2.4 up front on a 35-38mm wide rim. Great setup. Very fun and confidence inspiring. Some claim that the 2.4 can be scary when transitioning onto the side knobs. Not an issue with the wide rims as the side knobs engage the dirt sooner as you lean over. But then, I'm kind of a "toss and stick it" rider when it comes to cornering at speed so I might like it just fine on a skinnier rim, YMMV.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
    Looking great, what is the weight?
    Haven't put it on a proper scale yet, but the bathroom scale method gives 31.4 lbs. I would think it's a bit lighter if the stock build is indeed 30.5, as the wheelset with tubeless setup should drop about 1.5 lbs, which more than offsets the Reverb weight. I am betting the stock build weight is without pedals though.

mtbr member
    Yes, the 2.4 front is fine but the 2.2 rear is the one that gets overwhelmed, I'd like a tire with better transitioning knobs and side knob bite as I like to rail and have a mor consistant feel
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    I have the same experience with the Ardents in colorado. I ride mostly rocky and loose over hardpack trails and the Ardents just don't corner to my liking. They are kind of squirmy when they roll on to the soft cornering knobs. And yes I find them to be pretty unpredictable on the drifts.

I much prefer tires with an aggressive side knob for really leaning the bike in corners. Im going to try out the Specialized Eskar2 up front and see how that goes. Will do a captain in the rear as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have the same experience with the Ardents in colorado. I ride mostly rocky and loose over hardpack trails and the Ardents just don't corner to my liking. They are kind of squirmy when they roll on to the soft cornering knobs. And yes I find them to be pretty unpredictable on the drifts.

I much prefer tires with an aggressive side knob for really leaning the bike in corners. Im going to try out the Specialized Eskar2 up front and see how that goes. Will do a captain in the rear as well.
    LostBoyScout had the right upgrade... they are pricey, but the Schwalbe tires are much nicer than the stock Ardents. Both the Nobby Nic and the Hans Dampf. I liked the Nobby Nic better, but I am running a Hans Dampf up front for winter time wet roots and the softer compound.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I still haven't bought tires yet...but i think i'm going to go with the specialized purgatory control tire. Tubeless ready, 2.2, good knobs. They just seem like specialized did a good job. I was going to go dans dampf but i hate how schwalbe's are so huge!!! They look and feel like a 2.4. I'd rather have a little better of a trail tire

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have any of Yinz using the FOX 34 on your build....spent any time......on a Zocchi 44 Ti 140?
    Just wanting to know because I have a Zocchi for my build.....Have found this fork to be one of the best 29er forks I've owned and priced........Been riding 29ers since 2007.... Never tried a FOX 29er fork due to thier price.......But I did appreciate the Fox Vanilla back in the 26" wheel dayz...... Thanx.
    Last edited by staz; 02-27-2012 at 05:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    LostBoyScout had the right upgrade... they are pricey, but the Schwalbe tires are much nicer than the stock Ardents. Both the Nobby Nic and the Hans Dampf. I liked the Nobby Nic better, but I am running a Hans Dampf up front for winter time wet roots and the softer compound.
    I think if I was up in the northwest like you guys, I may enjoy the Ardents more. They seem like they would favor a softer loamy soil like you guys have.

I was about to pull the trigger on some schwalbes. I have had good experience with the nobby nic before and the hans dampf also looks promising. Specialized tires are just so affordable I figured I'd try them first. From what I've heard, the Eskar sounds like a good match for my riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Think you'll be switching back to the NN up front for the summer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by staz View Post
    Have any of Yinz using the FOX 34 on your build....spent any time......on a Zocchi 44 Ti 140?
    Just wanting to know because I have a Zocchi for my build.....Have found this fork to be one of the best 29er forks I've owned and priced........Been riding 29ers since 2007.... Never tried a FOX 29er fork due to thier price.......But I did appreciate the Fox Vanilla back in the 26" wheel dayz...... Thanx.
    Not saying the the 'zoke is not a good fork. However the Bandit Two9 was designed around the geo of the Fox 34 fork with it's 51mm of offset. IIRC your 'zoke has a fair amount less offset and this will result in more trail than the bike was designed for. So barge like steering is a possibility. Perhaps the Transition guys could weigh in on this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker View Post
    XL 7.15 lbs with shock
    this post with your frame on the couch looks like a cat on the couch. Very nice in green.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker View Post
    Great first ride one word Awesome !
    Nice pics dude! Your shreading it man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Chainstay protection.[/QUOTE]

what is that griptape? nice idea if dont have a chain stay protector. I have also heard people can use a rode tube at a chain stay protector that works well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I posted my pics and review here of my bandit 29er if it helps one person, I'll be happy Transition Bandit 29 Review | Rising Cyclist
    Last edited by dfwracer; 03-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwracer View Post
    Chainstay protection.
    what is that griptape? nice idea if dont have a chain stay protector. I have also heard people can use a rode tube at a chain stay protector that works well.[/QUOTE]

"this application, specifically is "hockey stick tape" combo-ed with "shin tape" (also a hockey product). The shin tape is clear and installed under the black for additional protection...but you can also install it over the colored stick tape if you want.

works great according to friends, and comes in different colors was well if you want it. Of course since its a cloth product you may end up replacing it from time to time if it starts looking shabby...but both rolls of tape cost me about 6 bucks from the local hockey supply store.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

Propr
    I posted my pics and review here of my bandit 29er if it helps one person, I'll be happy Transition Bandit 29 Review | IceLogic Biking
    Good write up man! Can't believe you're rockin' 25.9" wide bars I understand why...if you ride in tight trees sections...but for me i need 711 or wider
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin View Post
    Think you'll be switching back to the NN up front for the summer?
    Maybe? Depends on what I can get my hands on and how worn out my tire stash is.

I generally like running the same tire F&R because the rears wear out faster and I just get one new one for the front and move the partially worn front to the back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    Not saying the the 'zoke is not a good fork. However the Bandit Two9 was designed around the geo of the Fox 34 fork with it's 51mm of offset. IIRC your 'zoke has a fair amount less offset and this will result in more trail than the bike was designed for. So barge like steering is a possibility. Perhaps the Transition guys could weigh in on this.
    Correct on the fork offset part, can't speak to any performance aspects of the Marzocchi, however the Float 34 140 fork has been amazing for us. Can't speak highly enough about it.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007

Break In Ride

First ride on my new Bandit and boy did she deliver! I have been on 29ers since 2003 and this bike is a game changer. Smoother and faster in the rough than a 7" 26, neutral in the air, balanced in the slow technical, and a powerhouse in the techy ups. There is nothing that this bike doesn't do well. I can't wait for the fork and shock to break in and to really get a feel for what she can do!

Next upgrades- dropper post, MRP 2x guide, Deity bars and pedals, Chromag 40mm stem, comfy saddle.

Sooo stoked on this ride!! Thank you Transition for delivering. You guys nailed it with this one. BRAAPP!!

Last edited by karatemonkey; 02-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by karatemonkey View Post
    First ride on my new Bandit and boy did she deliver! I have been on 29ers since 2003 and this bike is a game changer. Smoother and faster in the rough than a 7" 26, neutral in the air, balanced in the slow technical, and a powerhouse in the techy ups. There is nothing that this bike doesn't do well. I can't wait for the fork and shock to break in and to really get a feel for what she can do!

Next upgrades- dropper post, MRP 2x guide, Deity bars and pedals, Chromag 40mm stem, comfy saddle.

Sooo stoked on this ride!! Thank you Transition for delivering. You guys nailed it with this one. BRAAPP!!

Nice VIdeo dude, your getting your moneys worth out of that RP23.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good write up man! Can't believe you're rockin' 25.9" wide bars I understand why...if you ride in tight trees sections...but for me i need 711 or wider
    Yea XL frame and 25.9 inch wide bars at the most and I am loving it Thanks I am glad you liked the write up, I couldnt stop writing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    what is that griptape? nice idea if dont have a chain stay protector. I have also heard people can use a rode tube at a chain stay protector that works well.
    "this application, specifically is "hockey stick tape" combo-ed with "shin tape" (also a hockey product). The shin tape is clear and installed under the black for additional protection...but you can also install it over the colored stick tape if you want.

works great according to friends, and comes in different colors was well if you want it. Of course since its a cloth product you may end up replacing it from time to time if it starts looking shabby...but both rolls of tape cost me about 6 bucks from the local hockey supply store.[/QUOTE]

Its a cool idea because you can cover the entire chain stay and it wont slide around.

Propr
    @karatemonkey - NICE!!!!! Break-in Video!

Looking forward to some of that myself
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

Propr
    Yea XL frame and 25.9 inch wide bars at the most and I am loving it Thanks I am glad you liked the write up, I couldnt stop writing.
    wow! on the XL too! glad it works for you, and glad to know it works!
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

Propr

Well...I'm resorting to crappy garage door photos...sorry about the quality and shadows. Hope to come up with something better later...but this is the finished product.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Well...I'm resorting to crappy garage door photos...sorry about the quality and shadows. Hope to come up with something better later...but this is the finished product.
    Very nice my friend what kind of pedals and cranks are those? i see your rocking the xtr and chris king you must be a serious rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks nice!!!!
    Still waiting on my ordered frame from the LBS to show up, been 3 weeks already....and decided to go with a Float 34...which is on backorder for 2-3 weeks. The wait is a killer.

Propr
    Very nice my friend what kind of pedals and cranks are those? i see your rocking the xtr and chris king you must be a serious rider.
    Rotor 3D's and HT ME-01T.

I am pretty serious. I love mt biking and biking is my main form of excerise. Had a Nomad for the past 6yrs, but had to sell to offset some of the cost of this Two9 prj. So this will be my main bike! So tried to get everything I wanted for the most part.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I am pretty serious. I love mt biking and biking is my main form of excerise. Had a Nomad for the past 6yrs, but had to sell to offset some of the cost of this Two9 prj. So this will be my main bike! So tried to get everything I wanted for the most part.
    wow those are the nicest pedals i have ever seen. I just looked at their site. Ive been riding for a while i wonder why know one i have seen has them. Ti spindle and mag body wow dude serious weight savings.

It would have been nice if they used a needle bearing like the crank bro 50/50 pedals, but over all the HT ME-01T are probably the best flat and light pedals on the market.

Propr
    wow those are the nicest pedals i have ever seen. I just looked at their site. Ive been riding for a while i wonder why know one i have seen has them. Ti spindle and mag body wow dude serious weight savings.
    That makes two of us. I guess they make pedals for a bunch of companies and just rebrand them. My 50/50xx were 559g and these are like 236g +\-
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    yea dude I agree they are low and pro

banjo plunker, wrench

Very nice build Lowball! Bike is really sweet isn't it? Happy Trails!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg View Post
    Very nice build Lowball! Bike is really sweet isn't it? Happy Trails!
    Thanks! Yeah it's awesome! I was trying so hard not to put it in the air 1st ride out last Sunday...need a few more miles on the wheels before going airborne. But it was just awesome on the DH and tech stuff...no learning curve from coming from the Nomad on my local track.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Quick review...i still couldn't quite pedal my whole xc trail by my house, but that's mostly me. for being pre-season, i did so much more than i usually could. I loved the single ring even though it's probably not ideal for the bike. I'd suggest 2 rings and a duel ring guide. It slays though! Pedaled amazing, then descended awesome. I love the 142 rear end!!! such a difference. The only thing i kinda wish were it a touch more slack...but that's just me. It's not a dh bike...i loved it though. It's def going to be my most used bike this summer. I'm going to probably pull off the remote rp2. it just barely does anything. I know this bike is similar to other am bikes...but go with transition. you're just cooler...and i love how they pushed the geo on this bike just a little more than other 29ers. Just stunning...

here are some of the specs
    Large
    King hubs to ztr flow rims and nevegal tires...set up tubeless
    Float 34 140mm fork, rp2 w/ lever rear shock
    Descendent crankset, Straitline guide, 32t
    Sram X.9 10 speed, 11-32 cassette
    Reverb Post
    Deity Pedals, Stem, and Black Label Bars
    X.0 Brakes
    Last edited by nmpearson; 03-10-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson View Post
    about as bad of a pic as it comes. I'll get better ones in the morning...but here are some of the specs

I only pedaled it outside for a sec...i'll post more of a review with more pics tomorrow
    Looks good! Good choice of parts. You will be blown away by the on the trail riding ability of this bike!

P.S. and you can ride wheelies for days!
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks! Yeah i'm stoked. My first love is DH and that's why you'll see i'm running 31in bars, chainguide w/ 10 speed, flats..etc but I just adored the covert i owned the last 2 seasons but there was just a part of me that wanted more of a long riding enduro bike. There's just so many trails in utah that are hard to get to w/o pedaling for a while. I just decided to go big with the 29er version. All the transition guys have assured me it'll shred trails well...so yeah i can't wait to ride it tomorrow

Gravity is the Key
    Large
    Reverb Post
    X.0 Brakes
    I only pedaled it outside for a sec...i'll post more of a review with more pics tomorrow
    What spokes do you use?

And about the final bike weight? Numbers?

mtbr member

New tires report

As per my comments regarding the Ardent tires they have been replaced by a 2.4 purgatory and a 2.2 captain by Specialized. I can report that the cornering performance has been greatly improved. Gone is the siktterish rear end and the tires just hold a line very well and break away with lots of scrubbing notice. Also changing to this tire combo shaved a half a pound of rotating weight which takes the sting out of paying $110 for new tires. Another 100 gram was lost by switching to Stan's tubeless strips. Total bike weight is now just under 32 lbs. for a Large. (including command post and blackspire stinger)
    Last edited by Demodude; 03-10-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member

Quick review...i still couldn't quite pedal my whole xc trail by my house, but that's mostly me. for being pre-season, i did so much more than i usually could. I loved the single ring even though it's probably not ideal for the bike. I'd suggest 2 rings and a duel ring guide. It slays though! Pedaled amazing, then descended awesome. I love the 142 rear end!!! such a difference. The only thing i kinda wish were it a touch more slack...but that's just me. It's not a dh bike...i loved it though. It's def going to be my most used bike this summer. I'm going to probably pull off the remote rp2. it just barely does anything. I know this bike is similar to other am bikes...but go with transition. you're just cooler...and i love how they pushed the geo on this bike just a little more than other 29ers. Just stunning...

here are some of the specs
    Large
    Reverb Post
    X.0 Brakes
    Looks great! What's the weight?
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Gravity is the Key

Spokes diameter, please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin View Post
    Looks great! What's the weight?
    I'm actually not really sure the weight. I don't work at a shop anymore and don't have a scale and i don't trust doing the holding the bike thing. It feels early 30ish. That's what i was thinking it'd be around. I love this bike though. It really pedals well. If you have the means, i highly recommend picking one up.

The guy above...I used wheelsmith double butted spokes. here's the pic of it in the mountains! if someones going to say i tried riding before the trail was ready...yes i did...but yes i kinda got lost and had no idea how to get out. So i didn't intentionally hurt the trail

mtbr member
    If you have the means, i highly recommend picking one up.
    I've had my frame for over one month now... just waiting for my wheels and a couple last bits... super excited!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quick question....why is the hole in the triangle between the seat post and the top tube smaller on some frames and larger on others? Even the stock photos on Transition's site has frames with small round holes and others with larger triangular holes on the frame color photo. Is it the size of the frame?

Oh yeah.....keep the pics coming!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdoggie View Post
    Quick question....why is the hole in the triangle between the seat post and the top tube smaller on some frames and larger on others? Even the stock photos on Transition's site has frames with small round holes and others with larger triangular holes on the frame color photo. Is it the size of the frame?

konahonzo

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax_Eco View Post
    Spokes diameter, please.
    DTSwiss comps, double-butted, alum nipps.(14/15g)
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cool shot I thought, though not much of a Bandit 29 product shot... sure is fun to rip the local singletrack though!

(Photo Credit - Morgan Taylor of NSMB.com)
    Last edited by LostBoyScout; 03-18-2012 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    eurospek....clever....i guess you answered my question though

Lostboyscout...awesome photo man. Love those action shots.
    Last edited by rawdoggie; 03-18-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Propr
    Cool shot I thought, though not much of a Bandit 29 product shot... sure is fun to rip the local singletrack thought!
    (Photo Credit - Morgan Taylor of NSMB.com)
    Great shot!

Is that a small bear or a dog in the background?
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mine arrives at the LBS tuuuuuuuesday.... AHHHHHHHHHH can't wait

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Great shot!

Is that a small bear or a dog in the background?
    Good eye, it's a 6 month old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Tires

@LostBoySout,
    How do you like the HD / NN combo for PNW riding? I am close to ordering my Bandit and need to decide on tires. Would you recommend the same setup or maybe NN 2.35/2.25 f/r or HD f/r?

Thanks

mtbr member
    another question, how is the hans damphs grip compared to ardent 2.4 in loose over hard, or debris over hard situations?
    Pivot mach 6!

Group Hug Participant

sizing questions

Anyone here around 5'8" riding a BD29? I've ridden a medium Prime and currently ride a medium Paradox. The Prime felt a little big, but imagine I'd get used to it pretty quick. However, the Bandit has longer chainstays. I haven't looked too closely at the reach yet.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Not sure if this is the case for Transition, but for the Kona Satori it is based on frame size, the large the frame the larger the space.

Quote Originally Posted by rawdoggie View Post

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I went by the LBS to take a peek at my new bike! He was just starting to put it together. The pewter color looks AMAZING in person!

I am so stoked. Pick it up tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Had an awesome weekend in Moab with the Bandit.. This bike continues to amaze me.

Intense 951, Transition Bandit 29

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    [QUOTE=FJDan;9121181]Had an awesome weekend in Moab with the Bandit.. This bike continues to amaze me.

It's nice to see the landing on that Amasa drop was fixed, it was getting a little sandybombholeish.

Good looking rig. Congrats!

JMH

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Picked mine up tonight! First ride tomorrow morning asap. I can't wait! It is SO nice. Ridiculous. I love the bike and can't speak highly enough about my LBS.

Transition Bandit 29 « Cutters Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Nice bike brah the Mrp 2x or truvativ 2x are good products but mine has caused trouble and after 2 months ive taken it off, I'll probably get a twinty 2x guide thing when they become available. Some of the teeth on the wheels snapped and the small arm think that is supposed to lock it in place would come loose and derail the chain. the 1x models have a small screw on the end of the arm that locks it firmly whereas the new ones don't
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Nice bike brah the Mrp 2x or truvativ 2x are good products but mine has caused trouble and after 2 months ive taken it off, I'll probably get a twinty 2x guide thing when they become available. Some of the teeth on the wheels snapped and the small arm think that is supposed to lock it in place would come loose and derail the chain. the 1x models have a small screw on the end of the arm that locks it firmly whereas the new ones don't
    Good to know. Was planning on picking one of them up.

Have you considered the Stinger? I've used them in the past and never had any issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike View Post
    @LostBoySout,
    How do you like the HD / NN combo for PNW riding? I am close to ordering my Bandit and need to decide on tires. Would you recommend the same setup or maybe NN 2.35/2.25 f/r or HD f/r?

Thanks
    I only had one ride on the Ardents and have only had a few rides on the HD/NN setup, so I can't offer a really well-rounded opinion yet. However there is no doubt in my mind I made the right decision. The Hans Dampf is a rediculously grippy tire. It has a grippier compound than the Nobby Nic (Running Trailstar HD front, Pacestar NN rear), perfect for pointing over wet roots and such. The Ardent is a faster tire, but for PNW I'll take the drop in speed to stick in gnarly situations every time.

The NN rear is to save some weight and have a longer lasting tire (I imagine), since I'm not as fussed about having crazy-glue traction back there - and the NN climbs very well.

Also with ZTR Flows, they make the perfect tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Only had two rides so far, but here's my first impressions. I'm coming off a Covert V2.

First impression when I sat on the bike was "holy crap, that frontwheel really sticks out", but once I started rolling and getting into some terrain that feeling quickly disappeared and I forgot all about wheel size. Except that even with my thin and useless winter legs it felt like I was rolling over obstacles more smoothly and with less effort. Win!
    It climbs well and so far I haven't bothered with the propedal/lockout on shock nor fork, and I suspect it'll climb even better once I get some miles into my legs again. Going down it just wants to go faster and faster.

So far the default buildkit of all-X7 seems to work nice enough, shifting is with the usual SRAM feeling; instant and snappy.

My only changes from the build kit so far is Hans Dampft tires and a Renthal Fatbar. Which at 780mm is my widest bar ever, stable and lovely feeling but I've snugged a few trees with it already so it takes some getting used to the width. I'm also going to swap the saddle for my old SDG Bel Air, the Transition saddles are a bit to wide at the nose for my buttocks' taste. I'm going to swap the wheels for my own built ZTR Flow rims on Hope/DT 240s once I get the 142mm conversion thingies, shaving off around 400g on the wheels.

The frame itself looks awesome, except for the front-derailleur. The front-derailleur area with the dual pull high direct mount just looks too busy. But that's small complaint, and merely a visual thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-img_0805.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-img_0807.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Picked mine up tonight....

Additions/changes from stock:
    KS Dropper post
    Hope/Stans Flow wheels
    MRP 2x
    Chromag stem/bars
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf tubless
    Code brakes

Now to go and test it on my favorite loop...

mtbr member
    Got maaa wheeeels... and everything else.

BEFORE shot:

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bandit 58!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New Bandit 29, Large

Here's my new Bandit, lots of new parts with some old ones I had lying around. The bike is definitely more capable than I am.. which I think is a good problem to have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-img_20120318_142408.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    looks cold there...

feels humid here...
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Picked it up Saturday!

Man.....the folks at Transition sure are making one hell of a frame. Quality is amazing. Just waiting on the Fox Float 34 from FOX.
    If your in the Pittsburgh, PA area contact Scholls for a good price on the frame!

mtbr member
    ... AND AFTER

sorry for the crappy phone pic.

Sits at 30 pounds, with Reverb and pedals. Couldn't be happier with the wait.
    Only pedaled it around the hood for a bit, there's lots of ice here still. But if that is an indicator, it felt awesome! Size is great, doesn't even feel like a 29er. And I concur with the feeling of being IN the bike. I think we have a winner here gentlemen!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

?s

I'd like to hear what you think of this after about a month of riding it on the North Shore? I read your inital thoughts of it on NSMB and I'm looking at a similar build from Matt... How do you like the Nobby Nic/Hans Dampf combo for the wet? I had 26 NNs and really couldn't stand them once any moisture hit the trails (although that was the old triple compound).

Is there anything that you'd change now that you didn't do when your first got it?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just finished building my Bandit 29. Full XT 2x10 build with a Talas, Easton Haven Carbon bar, Haven stem, Stan's Flow rims, Reverb post, and Ardent 2.4 and 2.25 tires.

The bike climbs better than my Spyder XC bike and is super fun to bomb the descents with. I'd say the Talas fork is unnecessary. I have yet to need to drop it to 110mm for climbing.

What is the verdict on using a chain guide or bash guard? I have the new Blackspire 2 x 10 guide on order, but I really don't think I need it.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketRockett View Post
    I just finished building my Bandit 29. Full XT 2x10 build with a Talas, Easton Haven Carbon bar, Haven stem, Stan's Flow rims, Reverb post, and Ardent 2.4 and 2.25 tires.

The bike climbs better than my Spyder XC bike and is super fun to bomb the descents with. I'd say the Talas fork is unnecessary. I have yet to need to drop it to 110mm for climbing.

What is the verdict on using a chain guide or bash guard? I have the new Blackspire 2 x 10 guide on order, but I really don't think I need it.
    I'm running light weight bash and GamutUSA P30 Boomerang. I think it comes in handy just for reducing the possibility of chain drop and annoying chain slap, and reduced carnage via chain-ring to the leg or other extremities. If you do any drops, jumps or rocky sections (in other words...not just buff single track) I feel, IMPO, it's worth it.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Lowball,

Are you running a single or double up front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyOrange View Post
    I'd like to hear what you think of this after about a month of riding it on the North Shore? I read your inital thoughts of it on NSMB and I'm looking at a similar build from Matt... How do you like the Nobby Nic/Hans Dampf combo for the wet? I had 26 NNs and really couldn't stand them once any moisture hit the trails (although that was the old triple compound).

Is there anything that you'd change now that you didn't do when your first got it?

Thanks
    Hey! Still loving the bike. I find when I'm off the bike I often wonder if a 26" bike like the Rune wouldn't be the better all-rounder. When I'm riding, I never have those kinds of thoughts. I haven't been able to get out a ton yet still unfortunately, but have done a few laps on Fromme and so far I can say the bike is excellent in the steep stuff, excellent in the rough stuff, and is super fun to carve despite all the internet talk otherwise. It doesn't take big hits as well as my Bottlerocket did but that's to be expected.

As for tires, I can appreciate that a dual NN setup might suck on the wet shore, as I have been noticing the rear end getting squirmy pretty regularly. The HD front has stuck like glue though, and hasn't let me down yet (I'm used to a DHF 3C EXO up front). Dual HD's seem like a good idea for wet weather riding, but the NN has stuck pretty good for climbing.

I tend to be constantly planning the next component / bike, but I can't come up with a better bike for this purpose. The Prime looks excellent too, almost a brother to the Bandit 29 most likely. For 26ers it would be the Chilcotin maybe, but hard to get. I am finding the 29" wheels offer a lot more good than bad, even on the shore. My shuttle bike would be 26", but if I have to pedal it's all about the wagon wheels for me now.

If Transition ever offers a 650B Bandit, I might have to join yet another bandwagon.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketRockett View Post
    Lowball,

Are you running a single or double up front?
    Triple crank with 22/36+bash (so I'll call it a double).
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007

Sedona

El Bandito de shred getting used to it's desert SW home...

mtbr member
    How is she on the climbs? Did you use the pedal platform switch much? Thanks.
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy Joe View Post
    How is she on the climbs? Did you use the pedal platform switch much? Thanks.
    Climbs great! Not an XC bike, but that's not what I was looking for.

I never touch the propedal. The new RP23 behaves so nicely, I set the sag, rebound, and put the propedal in "2" or "1" depending on the trail and let her rip!

Leaving the shock in the "0" open position will get you some bob, particularly in the big ring but there really is no need. Fox's Adaptive Logic works great. I spend almost all of my time in "2"- provides a solid pedaling platform for the climbs without losing small bump sensitivity and gives nice compression dampening for big hits. High speed hits feel almost identical between 0-3 IMHO.

Ride one! You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Karatemonkey- you took down your crashing pic, what gives, lol
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bandit 58!

Might go for a re-do on this on the weekend. See if there's more or less snow.. with the way things have gone this week, maybe more!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Climbs great! Not an XC bike, but that's not what I was looking for.

I never touch the propedal. The new RP23 behaves so nicely, I set the sag, rebound, and put the propedal in "2" or "1" depending on the trail and let her rip!

Leaving the shock in the "0" open position will get you some bob, particularly in the big ring but there really is no need. Fox's Adaptive Logic works great. I spend almost all of my time in "2"- provides a solid pedaling platform for the climbs without losing small bump sensitivity and gives nice compression dampening for big hits. High speed hits feel almost identical between 0-3 IMHO.

Ride one! You won't be disappointed.
    Any pedal strikes in the chunk? BTW, I'm pretty sure the 1-2-3 dial only applies when the propedal switch is engaged

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Any pedal strikes in the chunk?
    Pedal strikes happen more often than I would like. In fact, that is my only gripe with the bike so far. It seems like it's a design constraint of building a LT 29er that handles well, cause the other bikes in this category all have BB's close to the same height. A trade off that I am glad to make 'cause I can be picky where I put my pedals and this bike rips!

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    BTW, I'm pretty sure the 1-2-3 dial only applies when the propedal switch is engaged
    Nope, the new settings for 2012 are... switch off: 0-1-2; switch on: 3 and I am here to tell you it works beautifully. Fox is calling it Adaptive Logic. My butt-force-meter tells me that the engineers at fox finally figured out the whole propedal thing cause this is the first PP shock that i can truely find my sweet spot # for the trail i'm on and set it and forget it. Only time i switch to 3 is on consistent, un-relenting climbs, which where I live means almost never.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    This thread is supposed to be about the bike, not me!

rr
    I don't do PC

Nope, the new settings for 2012 are... switch off: 0-1-2; switch on: 3 and I am here to tell you it works beautifully. Fox is calling it Adaptive Logic. My butt-force-meter tells me that the engineers at fox finally figured out the whole propedal thing cause this is the first PP shock that i can truely find my sweet spot # for the trail i'm on and set it and forget it. Only time i switch to 3 is on consistent, un-relenting climbs, which where I live means almost never.
    Ahh, gotcha, didn't realize they changed things.

On the pedal strikes- I really like this bike but I need to demo one to see how much of an issue it is I guess. I demo'd a T29er and it had close to a 14" bb and no strikes, the Tracer is a bit more pricey tho but I really liked it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    pedal strikes?? i've gone on about 10 long rides on mine so far and i just looked at my pedals and there are no marks at all. maybe i'm lucky but i don't see any issues

mtbr member
    I always thought pedal strikes were controlled by rider skill anyway. I've done it on a few techy uphill trails, where I ride even the highest bb bikes will still strike on most our difficult trails if you don't apply the right skills like correct gear, stroke timing and bike control.
    Pivot mach 6!

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    I always thought pedal strikes were controlled by rider skill anyway. I've done it on a few techy uphill trails, where I ride even the highest bb bikes will still strike on most our difficult trails if you don't apply the right skills like correct gear, stroke timing and bike control.
    I would tend to agree with this as well. I did it on my 2nd ride and went OTB and off the trail...but it was totally rider error. And when you're riding flats you have more pedal to strike too so guess you have to be extra careful to use your skills right!

I felt like my suspension compressed as I was turning a little on the aggressive side...and I was still pedaling putting down the "POWER" and I caught and went off. Cant remember what position I had pro-pedal, but I'm thinking it was 3 (on position) and I was running 200psi which I think is a little light for me @ +200lbs w/o gear
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Here's a few pics of my build-in-progress. I can't wait to finish this bike!
    Bandit 29 (large)
    SRAM XO kit
    Hope/Flow/Schwalbe
    Straitline, Thomson, Deity, Renthal

Maintain internal heights.

Franzitioned
    Jan 2004
    This frame just went straight to the top of my springtime shopping list. Apologies if this has been covered already, but what's the stiffness like at the back with the 142x12 axle? Also, are most people running TALAS 34s? I saw something about black Floats on pre-built bikes...?

I wasn't planning on buying a new bike this year, but I've got a 29er HT with a great wheelset & decent drivetrain that I can plunder for the greater good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    This frame just went straight to the top of my springtime shopping list. Apologies if this has been covered already, but what's the stiffness like at the back with the 142x12 axle? Also, are most people running TALAS 34s? I saw something about black Floats on pre-built bikes...?

I wasn't planning on buying a new bike this year, but I've got a 29er HT with a great wheelset & decent drivetrain that I can plunder for the greater good.
    I'm not someone who really notices flex or stiffness, but on the fork topic tranny said the float is smoother than the talas and customers have been saying the bike climbs so great, it doesn't really need an adjustable fork anyway. My revelation has a 110mm switch but I'm pretty sure it hurts my back, but I could of been sore beforehand, haven't really tested it properly.

There was an issue with getting black float forks though, i'm not exactly sure what it was.
    Pivot mach 6!

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post

Overall stiffness is very good, This includes the rear end. This is not a ride that is prone to rear end wallow.

Most of the black F34 Fox forks that you are seeing in the Btwo9 pics are Floats bought thru Transition. You can get a pretty good deal on one if you buy it with a frame. You don't have to buy the build kit to get the fork deal. I went with a WB Loop 140 and am very happy.

Group Hug Participant
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    Overall stiffness is very good, This includes the rear end. This is not a ride that is prone to rear end wallow.

Most of the black F34 Fox forks that you are seeing in the Btwo9 pics are Floats bought thru Transition. You can get a pretty good deal on one if you buy it with a frame. You don't have to buy the build kit to get the fork deal. I went with a WB Loop 140 and am very happy.
    If you don't mind me asking, where do you get that deal, cause I'll buy it right now. PM me if more appropriate.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast