Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyTee View Post
    No, it definitely doesn't close tight enough to hold the wheel in place, at least on my bike. It was barely touching!
    Are you using the Shimano nut, or the stock nut? You are supposed to take out the nut on the driveside and replace it with the Shimano one (multi fluted) so you can clock the QR lever where you want it to line up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Are you using the Shimano nut, or the stock nut? You are supposed to take out the nut on the driveside and replace it with the Shimano one (multi fluted) so you can clock the QR lever where you want it to line up.
    The stock nut. I took it as gospel that a standard is a standard

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by staz View Post
    ******2013 Fox Float CTD Kashima Boost Valve w/ Trail Adjust*******
    Dang Fox seems to never be able to dial in a shock.....every year time to switch it up.....how about a trade in program for us with the 2012? How's it compare to the 2012?
    After short ride (25 km in wet) i'd say the new CTD shock with BoostValve is very nice for a stock shock.

The CTD lever has very good indexing and like rebound has excellent indexing too, the different positions actually do something, climb is very platform heavy, descend is good for rooty pedally sections and going downhill, i used Trail 1 on pedally root sections but Descend mode seemed more supple.

(this ride was on M Bandit 29)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The stock nut. I took it as gospel that a standard is a standard
    Yeah, but confusing but the axle+nut fit into dropouts that are designed to Shimano's standards. Their QR lever comes with it's own nut. So the dropout of the frame is the Shimano 142 standard, but you do have to use the entire axle kit.

mtbr member
    I still dont understand this fully, obviously I have been using mine incorrectly because my QR didn't come with the nut, but I have been fully unaware its been incorrectly set up because it has worked fine for months?
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    I still dont understand this fully, obviously I have been using mine incorrectly because my QR didn't come with the nut, but I have been fully unaware its been incorrectly set up because it has worked fine for months?
    That is very strange. Where did you buy the axle? It should have come with the nut. Shimano's QR nut has about 12 channels that line up with the set screw in the drop out, with those different channels you get to choose where the lever has been correctly tightened. It is integral to their design and works exactly like the Shimano partnered Fox 15mm axle.

Here is an example of what should have been included with your axle.

Our dropout nut only has one rotational position and it is intended to ONLY be used with our bolt on axle and the corresponding steel lock screw. It does not let you set the position that the QR lever closes.

Propr
    That is very strange. Where did you buy the axle? It should have come with the nut. Shimano's QR nut has about 12 channels that line up with the set screw in the drop out, with those different channels you get to choose where the lever has been correctly tightened. It is integral to their design and works exactly like the Shimano partnered Fox 15mm axle.

Here is an example of what should have been included with your axle.

Our dropout nut only has one rotational position and it is intended to ONLY be used with our bolt on axle and the corresponding steel lock screw. It does not let you set the position that the QR lever closes.
    I have this same one and it works great. But yeah, you remove the factory stuff and put in the new shimamo package.
    12 Bandit Two9
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yeah, but confusing but the axle+nut fit into dropouts that are designed to Shimano's standards. Their QR lever comes with it's own nut. So the dropout of the frame is the Shimano 142 standard, but you do have to use the entire axle kit.
    Ok, I understand now, thanks. My axle kit came with a channelled-nut, I see how it should work. Too late for me, because I've returned the axle for a refund now

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ok, I understand now, thanks. My axle kit came with a channelled-nut, I see how it should work. Too late for me, because I've returned the axle for a refund now
    Oh well. On a plus side, our bolt on axle is lighter weight than the Shimano QR. It's a weight savings thing for you...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Oh well. On a plus side, our bolt on axle is lighter weight than the Shimano QR. It's a weight savings thing for you...
    Heheh! Awesome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Mack Ridge was so nice I had to do it again

Some more Moab

Killa!! i like!

ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
    I just started to consider a 29er about a week and a half ago. I come from a DH/FR/AM background and really liked all the numbers surrounding this bike. I can confirm that the Bandit is pure awesomeness. The only 29er I've ever rode was about 7 years ago- a Canyon rigid SS. So looking to reduce my stable I'm selling my 2011 Enduro and P2 street bike- enter the Bandit. I looked for a longer travel 29er with trail bike geometry and arrived at this bike.

The only changes I've made are the Shimano XT brakes and a Command post. Frame size is a large, - weight is around 32lbs

Oh, mind the crazy mess, I work at a dental lab
    hello, nice ride !!
    can you tell me how long i need minimum the rear brake cable?
    thank you! with the standard cable routing...

ride.

mtbr member
    hello, is tte 12x142mm axle incl. with the bandit 29 frame?
    thank you.

ride.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 8664 View Post
    hello, is tte 12x142mm axle incl. with the bandit 29 frame?
    thank you.
    Yes it is included. Not a QR but nice and stout.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    Yes it is included. Not a QR but nice and stout.
    thanks

hope that works with my ringle charger rear wheel and the new conversion kit from ringle 12x142mm caps

ride.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 8664 View Post
    thanks

hope that works with my ringle charger rear wheel and the new conversion kit from ringle 12x142mm caps
    Should not be an issue. The only difference in the two 142x 12mm standards is the way the thru axle interfaces with the dropouts.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    If any of you wagon-wheel riders are looking to unload an XL Bandit frame give me a holler!!

on a routine expedition
    I've been loving my Bandit29 for enduro racing this summer. I did a couple rounds of the Oregon Enduro Series and last weekend raced the Capitol Forest Enduro in Washington. I'm just bummed the season is over. Can't wait until next year!

mtbr member

Dolomiti - Italy

my bandit has been breathing clean air this past weekend

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-sdc12148.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-sdc12149.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-sdc12167.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-429969_4510525291188_1642529411_n.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-530399_4510677174985_1683101263_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Does anyone know where I can snag a large Frame or complete?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    Does anyone know where I can snag a large Frame or complete?
    if you have trouble finding a new large frame/complete, there are a few sweet L B29 builds for sale on pinkbike at the moment
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wet, muddy XC ride at Swinley Forest on Sunday. Gotta love the British summer - tights and overshoes mandatory!

On a side note, I bought a Shimano SM-AX75 axle, so I'd have a quick-release rather than bolt-through. Doesn't fit! Not enough threads to tighten the q/r lever. Does that make the dropouts Shimano-ish standard?
    Any chance you could give us some feedback on how the bike handles at Swinley?

It's my local spot and l'm interested in how it feels with the constant small ups and downs, standing up stomping etc...Have a covert and find it a bit of a chore round there, so much so that I'm currently on a rigid Cotic Solaris which flys round. Going to sell the covert and get a 29er full suss but didn't want to make the same mistake again and over bike myself with too much travel.

Any advice much appreciated. Surrey hills is my other local.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tim.johnston View Post
    Any chance you could give us some feedback on how the bike handles at Swinley?

It's my local spot and l'm interested in how it feels with the constant small ups and downs, standing up stomping etc...Have a covert and find it a bit of a chore round there, so much so that I'm currently on a rigid Cotic Solaris which flys round. Going to sell the covert and get a 29er full suss but didn't want to make the same mistake again and over bike myself with too much travel.

Any advice much appreciated. Surrey hills is my other local.
    It handles Swinley just fine Flows with ease around the, uh, flowy bits. Fast as you like around the bermy bits. Does constantly beg to be thrown off stuff, though

Think it really depends what you're used to, I've been riding a long time and gravitate towards bikes that you can rag downhill. My other 29er is a carbon Tallboy. Of the two, I'd take the Bandit to Swinley, unless I was going for a solo blast (read: training). Taking the Bandit always makes for a fun ride, I love this bike!!!

Surrey Hills - Judges Seat drop and Two-Headed Dog are perfectly do-able on the B29

I'm not really a stand-and-stomp kinda rider (ex- time triallist), but can tell you that the bike sprints plenty well enough. I haven't ridden a Covert, but my last 26er XC bike was a Knolly Delerium-T. If you want to have a ride on my Bandit 29, PM me and we can maybe set something up? How tall are you?

Meanwhile, I'm just back from a road trip to Scotland. In the last week, I've ridden.....

Mon - Mabie
    Tue - Ae Forest
    Wed - Kirroughtree
    Thu - Dalbeattie + Newcastleton
    Fri - Glentress
    Sat - Innerleithen + Glentress
    Sun - Whinlatter

...and the Bandit rode faultlessly. Sadly, a rock strike at Glentress has dented the downtube! Noooooo!!!

Hey, Transition guys - any chance of a "crash replacement" for a white Covert 29 please?
    Last edited by NickyTee; 09-24-2012 at 06:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey, thanks for all the detail, you've made my mind up!

Just needed to hear from someone local who can vouch for its sprinting capabilities. I too prefer a playful bike over a speed machine any day but the covert was way too much for me and I tended to wallow around a bit on it. Great fun further afield in Wales though.

I have a demo booked for tomorrow and the chance to get one of the last 2012 completes in medium. I'm 5'10 so right on the edge of a large, but that would mean waiting for the 2013. I'm sure with a few tweaks it will fit. I'll find out tomorrow in any case.

Thanks for the offer of a test ride, if all goes well I may see you on the trails on a green one!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No problem, Tim. We have a regular sprint point at Swinley, it's the drain cover at the top of the long fire-road near the dirt-jump gulley, so I can vouch for it's abilities.

My XL may've been a bit big, then! I'll look out for you.... Good luck with the test ride tomorrow

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast