Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Bandit Owners:

Did you buy your frame based on a TT length that you know works for you, or based on the height recommendations from Bandit?

I own (and love) a Canfield Yelli-screamy in size large (622 ETT). I tried a large Bandit at my LBS (no XLs, alas), but the ETTs on the Bandits run short (596 ETT on large). The XL, however has the same 622 ETT as my Yelli. The large was noticeably short on my brief test ride, though the stand over was perfect.

So have any of you gone with a shorter TT then you're used to with your Bandit? I run 770mm bars / 70mm stem on the Canfield.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I'm used to longer top tubes than the M on the Bandit. I could probably have ridden a Large but went with a Medium. Having said that Transition recommended either a Bandit in M or L for me. My preference was for M given the hoped for emphasis on bike handling
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm in the same boat, coming off a large Shinobi with a 630mm ETT so going to the 596 ETT on the Bandit was quite a change. I'm running 730mm flat bars with a 70mm stem. First few rides were spent feeling strange on the bike as i'm used to low and long but once I got used to the more upright position. I'm 6'0" w/~33.5" inseam, could probably ride an XL but now that I'm used to the large I'd rather be on a bike that's easier to flick around, which the bandit loves to do.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    I am 5'10", usually ride a M but took Transition's advice and sized up to a L with the Bandit. Swapped out the stock cockpit for a 40mm stem and a 760mm low rise bar and now the bike handles like a dream while still giving me the space I need. Not as maneuverable as the M but much more in control on the way down which is where the magic happens.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    6', 34" inseam and I couldn't be happier with my XL. I size my bikes/frames on ETT, so I went with the XL, which matches my other two bikes' ETT measurements. However, unlike my other two bikes which have 105/110 stems and 711mm bars, I'm running a 75mm stem and a 2" rise bar that I think is about 770mm wide. Handles like a dream.

Propr
    Just finished up my local after-work loop!

Bike is awesome...still!

Hit a couple of jumps on the DH section and bike felt stable...haven't done all the jumps that I use to do on my Nomad yet, on the same trail, but once I put the HD's back on I'll feel more confident I'm sure.
    12 Bandit Two9 (sold)
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Finally got around to taking some photos. Taken on Monday in Sun Valley, Idaho.

Bike isn't complete yet - needs a little steerer trim, a cable re-route, the install of the new 142 x 12 axle on the rear hub and the Blackspire Stinger chainguide, and possibly some XT brakes. Otherwise, what you see is what you get. Which is really good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-061112163804.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-061112163738.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kenda Slant 6 DTC!!!!!

Had to ditch the Nobby Nic's....many slip-n-slides....so Kenda Slant 6 DTC are ripping now.....hook like a MOFO and way faster then the Nic's.
    Ditched the 10 speed 175mm cranks for a a new closeout deal $ set of 9 speed 170mm cranks.....24-36T....170mm works great for spinning and overall seems better then the 175mm. Able to get a tighter chainline using the 9speed cranks with 10 speed rear componets. Ride On!!!!!!

Last edited by staz; 06-14-2012 at 05:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What type of terrain are you riding the slant 6's on? I just tore the sidewall of my bonti xr4 rear last night and thinking about replacing it with something a little faster-rolling...i've got a slant 6 on the front of my rigid bike so i might throw that on the bandit...otherwise i've got a racing ralph 2.4 laying around...my problem is that i ride a wide variety of stuff from super rock/root technical east coast stuff to fast and flow hardpack...haven't found the perfect do-it-all tire for me yet...starting to think it doesn't exist
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowball View Post
    Just finished up my local after-work loop!

Hit a couple of jumps on the DH section and bike felt stable...haven't done all the jumps that I use to do on my Nomad yet, on the same trail, but once I put the HD's back on I'll feel more confident I'm sure.
    What is the rear axle your using?

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    What is the rear axle your using?
    Shimano - E thru axle 142x12
    12 Bandit Two9 (sold)
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    What type of terrain are you riding the slant 6's on? I just tore the sidewall of my bonti xr4 rear last night and thinking about replacing it with something a little faster-rolling...i've got a slant 6 on the front of my rigid bike so i might throw that on the bandit...otherwise i've got a racing ralph 2.4 laying around...my problem is that i ride a wide variety of stuff from super rock/root technical east coast stuff to fast and flow hardpack...haven't found the perfect do-it-all tire for me yet...starting to think it doesn't exist
    eastern PA black dirt,lots of roots,muck and some rock....plus the trail is littered with overgrowth of thorns and jaggers...the nic's got beat up in the brush..not one thorn in the casing yet.....more durable on that stuff for sure...i run the 2.0's tubeless with 4oz of slime in each tire. the nics had so much resistance when climbing and these just breeze on the ups!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A little Bandit 29 product testing in Squamish, BC.

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-squamish_valueadded.jpg

Photo by Brad Walton, rider Sam Burkhardt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

New Bandit 29 Med

Just thought I'd post pics of my Bandit 29 build

Bandit 29 Med Green Frame
    Easton Haven 29 Wheelset
    Fox 34 Talas 140 15mm Fork
    2013 Fox Float CTD Kashima Boost Valve w/ Trail Adjust
    Chris King Headset
    Specialized Purgatory S-Works 2.2 Tires (Set-up Tubeless)
    Raceface Turbine 24-36t Crankset w/ BB
    Sram XX 11-36t 10 spd Cassette
    Sram XO Med Cage Rear Der.
    Sram XO Ft Der.
    Sram X9 10spd Shifters
    KMC x10SL Chain
    Avid XO Polished Brakes w/ 180mm Rotors
    Easton EC70 Bars
    Lizard Skin Lock-On Grips
    Thomson X4 70mm Stem
    Rockshox Reverb Seatpost
    Thomson Seatpost Clamp
    WTB Silverado Ni-Cro Saddle
    Crankbrothers Candy 3 Pedals

Weight: 28lbs 5ozs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-imag1115.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-imag1113.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-imag1114.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-imag1117.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-imag1120.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks awesome!! Any reason for the Talas over the Float?

mtbr member
    Angelbcel, have you gotten it to the trail yet? Spot on bike!
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    A little Bandit 29 product testing in Squamish, BC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squamish_ValueAdded.jpg 
Views:	2056 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	704638

Photo by Brad Walton, rider Sam Burkhardt.
    Nice shot! I'll be there in less than a month. 3 weeks through BC (Kootenays/Coast focus) with stops in Bellingham, Duthie Hill, Hood River on the way home. SO PSYCHED!

mtbr member

Update

There has been a few small changes on the bike since I early this year.

Adamo Peak seat, 70mm stem(prev 90), thomson seatpost and to top it all off I got some new wheels! Wide all mountain 29" carbon rim from light-bicycle(the one discussed in the 29er forum), with alloy nipples, DT competition spokes and chris king hubs! Running nobby nics on the new wheels and still have my Hans damphs on the stans flows!

A carbon wheelset will really improve the ride on your bandit. They're not harsh at all, matter of fact they're less harsh and really put a smile on my face at times when I noticed how smooth they are. They flex about 1 inch less side to side under finger force too so super stiff even compared to a burly stans flow. They look great with the glossy finish on the components too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-dscf2108.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-dscf2111.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-dscf2109.jpg  

Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    And when I say they put a smile on my face, I'm serious... I must of had a bit of a pedo smile because I looked up and there was some chick in front of me.... and she looked pretty freaked out! LOL
    Pivot mach 6!

Contagious Xian
    I thought that bike looked familiar! She really is a beauty Angel. Was cool chatting with you about it after your Table Rock ride yesterday. Maybe see you out there again soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I went for what ended up being the muddiest ride I've ever been on today. It was a new high speed flow line winding along and around Sumas Mountain. After a day of heavy rain I was assured that since it's a new, built up trail it should drain well and be fine. Instead, the fresh, young dirt turned into the deepest, slickest, clay-rich mud I've experienced. We still went fast, but our bikes were rarely pointed the direction we were moving. Also, I came face to face with a bear blocking my path on the trail, and had to nervously make my way past once he got off the trail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelbcel View Post
    Just thought I'd post pics of my Bandit 29 build

Bandit 29 Med Green Frame
    Easton Haven 29 Wheelset
    Fox 34 Talas 140 15mm Fork
    2013 Fox Float CTD Kashima Boost Valve w/ Trail Adjust
    Chris King Headset
    Specialized Purgatory S-Works 2.2 Tires (Set-up Tubeless)
    Raceface Turbine 24-36t Crankset w/ BB
    Sram XX 11-36t 10 spd Cassette
    Sram XO Med Cage Rear Der.
    Sram XO Ft Der.
    Sram X9 10spd Shifters
    KMC x10SL Chain
    Avid XO Polished Brakes w/ 180mm Rotors
    Easton EC70 Bars
    Lizard Skin Lock-On Grips
    Thomson X4 70mm Stem
    Rockshox Reverb Seatpost
    Thomson Seatpost Clamp
    WTB Silverado Ni-Cro Saddle
    Crankbrothers Candy 3 Pedals

Weight: 28lbs 5ozs
    ******2013 Fox Float CTD Kashima Boost Valve w/ Trail Adjust*******
    Dang Fox seems to never be able to dial in a shock.....every year time to switch it up.....how about a trade in program for us with the 2012? How's it compare to the 2012?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Wet, muddy XC ride at Swinley Forest on Sunday. Gotta love the British summer - tights and overshoes mandatory!

On a side note, I bought a Shimano SM-AX75 axle, so I'd have a quick-release rather than bolt-through. Doesn't fit! Not enough threads to tighten the q/r lever. Does that make the dropouts Shimano-ish standard?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-swinley_little_dropper.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyTee View Post
    Wet, muddy XC ride at Swinley Forest on Sunday. Gotta love the British summer - tights and overshoes mandatory!

On a side note, I bought a Shimano SM-AX75 axle, so I'd have a quick-release rather than bolt-through. Doesn't fit! Not enough threads to tighten the q/r lever. Does that make the dropouts Shimano-ish standard?
    I thread mine in until it stops then flatten the lever, seems to work as intended? I know it doesn't look like the threading is long enough though. Mine has been fine for 3 months.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No, it definitely doesn't close tight enough to hold the wheel in place, at least on my bike. It was barely touching!

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast