Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    @Demodude - Weight with Bronsons was 31.8lb. Weight with Hans Dampfs = 32.6lb. I'll take the Schwalbes any day, very grippy, even on wet roots. Very close to Minion DHF ST...

@whippersnapper - Think I had the last/only XL in the UK. Try Ant at Tamed Earth, he hooked me up.

@Lowball - Thanks! This is my first adjustable seatpost, I wanted something without huge loops of cable flapping everywhere. Only three rides in, all wet and muddy (2x Swinley, and Cannock) but so far, so good. It's mechanical (cable) operated and has three positions - full-up, 45mm down and 125mm down. Comes in lots of purdy colours, too!

Gotta say, this bike is sweet! Very playful, climbs pretty good, but descends like crazy

mtbr member

A few updated photos on the couch

Just a few changes: Chromag Fubars, Salsa seatpost collar, Blackspire stinger, Specialized Purgator 2.4 up front, Specialized The Captain 2.2 rear, Running tubeless w stans sealant. Changing tires alone shaved 1/2 lb bringing the total weight to 32.04lbs. Not bad for a Large w/ the stock wheelset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-chainstay-zip-005.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-chainstay-zip-007.jpg  

Transition Bandit 29 photo thread-chainstay-zip-008.jpg  

I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    For those that swiched to a lighter, say 1800g wheelset, do you really notice a difference in speed/acceleration? I know logically you should but how noticeable is it. Does the bike feel less stiff or squirmy with the super light wheels?

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
    For those that swiched to a lighter, say 1800g wheelset, do you really notice a difference in speed/acceleration? I know logically you should but how noticeable is it. Does the bike feel less stiff or squirmy with the super light wheels?
    I think it's in your head...meaning you're thinking - awesome my bike is 3lbs lighter, I must be faster!

But really...I think it makes a difference in acceleration and of course rotational mass; I guess you would put it. 1800g wheel set and light xc tires you can really tell a difference IMO. My current setup for the local XC racing track is DT swiss xr400's, 240 hubs, tubeless specialized (control) fast trak 2.0 and renegade 1.95...so a big difference between the HD's/Flow/King combo. (you can see the difference and feel the difference) Only thing is, I'm not planning on jumping over a foot high or dropping off anything substantial. Pretty much keeping the wheels on the ground and riding as hard as possible on an All-Mountain 29er...I think you could do some of those things but you would have to be way smooth, have great lines, and choose your whips wisely

For an all day or 25~30+ mile ride I think you could feel the difference in the long run...I remember doing 25mile rides on my 33lb Nomad was strenuous, but I probably wasn't taking on proper caloric intake either for that long of a ride...just HEED and gels if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Lowball; 04-24-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    12 Bandit Two9 (sold)
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
    In my experience, the weight of tire and rim makes a big difference on 29ers... but i think you get used to what you roll pretty quick. I demo'ed a number of 29er/26er bikes with 2000g'ish wheelset before buying my bike (great deal off craigslist).

My Rip9 has stans flows laced to XTR hubs and originally had some light XC tires setup tubeless... that wheel/tire combo accelerated as fast as heavier 26er's... really snappy.

I switched over to some heavier AM tires setup tubeless (specialized purgatory control 2.2 in front, spec cpt. control 2.2 in rear) which added a good 300 grams to each wheel and the difference was initially very noticeable. But my legs got stronger, I maybe have become a little more active on the bike, and now I don't even notice the extra weight.

But honestly, the heavy wheels is one thing I look at on the bandit29 build and would plan on changing out asap... get some stans flows on a good hub setup tubeless. Also, for 55 USD retail, the specialized purgatory and control tires are awesome performance and durability for the money, imo. Work great tubeless with stans flows.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CalvinHobbs View Post
    In my experience, the weight of tire and rim makes a big difference on 29ers... but i think you get used to what you roll pretty quick. I demo'ed a number of 29er/26er bikes with 2000g'ish wheelset before buying my bike (great deal off craigslist).

My Rip9 has stans flows laced to XTR hubs and originally had some light XC tires setup tubeless... that wheel/tire combo accelerated as fast as heavier 26er's... really snappy.

I switched over to some heavier AM tires setup tubeless (specialized purgatory control 2.2 in front, spec cpt. control 2.2 in rear) which added a good 300 grams to each wheel and the difference was initially very noticeable. But my legs got stronger, I maybe have become a little more active on the bike, and now I don't even notice the extra weight.

But honestly, the heavy wheels is one thing I look at on the bandit29 build and would plan on changing out asap... get some stans flows on a good hub setup tubeless. Also, for 55 USD retail, the specialized purgatory and control tires are awesome performance and durability for the money, imo. Work great tubeless with stans flows.
    Yes - the rotating weight on a 29 makes a HUGE difference. Our wheelset isn't the lightest, but it's strong, stiff and reasonably priced. The wheel stiffness also makes a huge difference in 29... and in testing we tried some lighter wheels that would flex and fold a LOT in hard corners. If you are going to ride the bike hard you need a stiff wheelset.

IMO - the upgrade to an Easton Haven 29 wheelset would be perfect on the Bandit 29.They are not cheap, but you get a strong/stiff wheelset AND a huge weight savings. You get what you pay for... or... light, strong(and stiff), cheap; pick 2. I would not reccomend going with a light and cheap rim/wheel without accepting more wheel flex and tacoed wheels.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Some early season Fromme rides

Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Yes - the rotating weight on a 29 makes a HUGE difference. Our wheelset isn't the lightest, but it's strong, stiff and reasonably priced. The wheel stiffness also makes a huge difference in 29... and in testing we tried some lighter wheels that would flex and fold a LOT in hard corners. If you are going to ride the bike hard you need a stiff wheelset.
    Cased a few gaps kind of hard on the stock wheelset. No flatspots!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post

IMO - the upgrade to an Easton Haven 29 wheelset would be perfect on the Bandit 29.They are not cheap, but you get a strong/stiff wheelset AND a huge weight savings. You get what you pay for... or... light, strong(and stiff), cheap; pick 2. I would not reccomend going with a light and cheap rim/wheel without accepting more wheel flex and tacoed wheels.
    Yeah... I didn't intend to take anything away from the Transition 28's. I see lot of folks rolling them on non-transition bikes... that speaks volumes.

I dunno how stiff my wheelset really is (stans flows/xtr hubs/32h 14g spokes) compared to stock havens or the transition 28's.... but I have nothing personally to complain about wrt wheel stiffness or toughness.

So, Transition Bikes, what is your take on the stans flow rims? Maybe it is just me misreading between the lines; but I got the notion that you don't approve of the stans flows so much (or maybe the xtr hubs)? Any 29er rim recommendations?

Group Hug Participant
    Man, those are sick shots! When do we get a write up ?
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz View Post
    Man, those are sick shots! When do we get a write up ?
    Coming! I'll do a first looks then a long term. Give me a couple of weeks. I need to get a few more shots and then jump it off some stuff too. Sorry its such a nice bike and so much fun that i hate to rush it and want to do a good job

Group Hug Participant
    That's great to hear! No worries, though. Building mine up this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Coming! I'll do a first looks then a long term. Give me a couple of weeks. I need to get a few more shots and then jump it off some stuff too. Sorry its such a nice bike and so much fun that i hate to rush it and want to do a good job

mtbr member
    I guess I should have premised my question withe the type of riding I do, which is not like black rock but steep, can be very rocky at times and I like to catch air and do smallish drops. I never race unless its a dh. I'm not a guy thats making tons of money right now and I'm trying to justify buying lighter but strong wheels once I have the bike paid off ( hopefully in 3 months). I already getto-tubelessed my wheelset and changed tires which saved almost 3/4 lb. I will stick with stock for now, thanks for the replies!

Group Hug Participant
    You can't go wrong with the Flows. First off, they're a dedicated tubeless. Secondly (and more importantly), they're wide which'll help with tire role.

A lot of your wheel flex will come from your spoke gauge selection. I"ve seen some nice I9 hubs laced up to some Havocs and they didn't last too long. Double-butted all the way!

Yeah... I didn't intend to take anything away from the Transition 28's. I see lot of folks rolling them on non-transition bikes... that speaks volumes.

I dunno how stiff my wheelset really is (stans flows/xtr hubs/32h 14g spokes) compared to stock havens or the transition 28's.... but I have nothing personally to complain about wrt wheel stiffness or toughness.

So, Transition Bikes, what is your take on the stans flow rims? Maybe it is just me misreading between the lines; but I got the notion that you don't approve of the stans flows so much (or maybe the xtr hubs)? Any 29er rim recommendations?

Group Hug Participant

Front Derailleur size questions

I"m running 2x10, 24/38, but can't figure out which SRAM front derailleur I need. I know its a direct-mount bottom pull, but there are 2 sizes: S1 for 42.7mm (2-bolt), S3 for 22.1mm (2-bolt).

rider
    Jan 2005
    I"m running 2x10, 24/38, but can't figure out which SRAM front derailleur I need. I know its a direct-mount bottom pull, but there are 2 sizes: S1 for 42.7mm (2-bolt), S3 for 22.1mm (2-bolt).
    Go to the link below. Count the number of bolt holes in the front derailleur mount on your frame. Make selection in "Front Derailleur Clamp" box based on number of bolt holes counted. Select "Direct Mount" in the "Front Derailleur Style" box. Make correct chainring tooth count selection for your bike in the "Front Derailleur Compatibility" box. At that point "Speedgoat Item: 170140" should be displayed right below the price.

Yes, buying a front derailleur is not as easy as it used to be.

Link: SRAMŽ X7
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I guess reading between the lines? Comment was meant to be general. Not making any judgement on Stans... never ridden them myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Neither! Those are two sizes for a "low direct mount" but you need a "high direct mount" for the Bandit 29, aka "HDM". There is only one "HDM" mounting standard.

I believe there are still two cage shapes though... one for 39 or 42 outer rings or (the one you need) for a 36 or 38 outer ring. TheX7 derailleur we spec is dual pull, and I think they all are.

Group Hug Participant

I think I found what I need

I went with a SRAM XO H0 (DM), Top/Bottom Pull, 26/39t, 28/42t (2x10). I'd prefer to run 1x10, but I don't think my XO (2x10 with carbon bash) cranks will allow it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Some more videos.

Trying to keep them short and to the point

Fromme Lower trails

Upper Dales

Just roll it......
    I went with a SRAM XO H0 (DM), Top/Bottom Pull, 26/39t, 28/42t (2x10). I'd prefer to run 1x10, but I don't think my XO (2x10 with carbon bash) cranks will allow it.
    Looky what I found here. Couldn't hold out for the Pryme, eh?

The Bandit's are sick dude. I think you're gonna love it.

mtbr member
    Nice vids!

Do I spy a Covert in the background at the end of he second vid?

Group Hug Participant
    No Prime Time for me. Besides, I love swapping "bikes" with FM since I usually know where he's been. .

FYI, Duke's the MAN! Thanks again, Dropnzone.

Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Looky what I found here. Couldn't hold out for the Pryme, eh?

The Bandit's are sick dude. I think you're gonna love it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Nice vids!

Do I spy a Covert in the background at the end of he second vid?
    Good eye. It's the filmers

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Good stuff Lee! Looking forward to the review! I know how I feel about the bike but I am eager to hear what a professional thinks

Heading up there this summer on a MTB road trip and can't wait to discover the shore and other BC zones!

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast